UE Super.fi 5 Pro vs 5EB
Mar 6, 2007 at 1:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

commando

Headphoneus Supremus
I just purchased the 5 Pro version of these headphones, I love the clarity, the comfort, the lack of microphonics, they're excellent. I'm apparently a bit of a basshead though, because the bass from my mp3 player just doesn't do it for me. Sure I I just purchased the Super fi.5 Pro version of these headphones. I love the clarity, the comfort, and the lack of microphonics. I'm apparently a bit of a basshead though, because the bass from my mp3 player just doesn't do it for me. From another source with a good bass boost (foobar on my PC or my home stereo) they sound great, but my mp3 player (Creative Zen V+) the EQ reduces the quality significantly - you can tell with the clarity of these things! I run them 4-6 hours a day from my mp3 player at work.

I'm considering returning the Super.fi 5 pro and getting the EB version. Can anyone who's used both versions comment on the sound? I'd rather get facts than people repeating what they've heard if possible
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 6, 2007 at 1:13 AM Post #2 of 10
while i haven't used the SF5Pros, i used to own the SF5EBs... and from the comparisons i've seen just reading about the SF5Pros and then hearing the SF5EBs... i'm going to go ahead and say that i don't think it would be worth it. many people hold the SF5Pros in high regard...

IMO, the SF5EBs were not too great. sure they had a ton of bass... but i found it to be muddy to the point where it covered up all the other frequencies and made the IEM sound very congested. I think you would probably be best off keeping you SF5Pros, as they appear to be nearly untoppable at that price point

Mar 6, 2007 at 2:40 PM Post #5 of 10
i just tried a burn in 3eb yesterday... the bass is nothing i have ever heard from a IEMs... a burn in 5eb, the bass no longer eat into the mid and highs... everything is so transparent there... in contrast, i find 5pro have less details...

Mar 6, 2007 at 6:40 PM Post #6 of 10
I have both of these IEM's right now. It's easy to say that the regular 5's have much better balance as well as clarity and detail on the lower end, as well as better isolation, but the 5EB's are just fun sometimes and if I feel like getting ridiculous sometimes, I amp them with bass boost and well, you can have your fill of bass for the day in just one song
etysmile.gif

The 5EB's bass also *sounds* different than the 5's, I'm assuming because the driver is completely different. You really get more of the bass you'd want from a larger headphone or even a sub, but you do lose some detail (especially in the midrange) and clarity along the way. It seems like there's a gap in the crossover that means some of the midrange is almost completely lost, but hey, they ARE fun if you're a basshead.

Mar 7, 2007 at 12:26 AM Post #7 of 10
Hmmm, seems like one way you have less bass than I like, the other way you lose clarity. To be honest the $20 Creative EP630 is pretty close, value wise they kill UE. The UE Super.fi 5 pro definitely have better clarity, but less bass, not sure they're worth $200 to me.

Guess I better decide soon before I run over the date I can return them. I'll play with my PC source and PPA when I have time I guess.

Thanks for the help everyone
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 7, 2007 at 2:37 AM Post #8 of 10
Hey man, long time no see...

The EB cleans up a lot after a hundred or so hours of burn in. The balanced armature doesn't change, but the dynamic driver in it seems to tighten up and doesn't mask over the mids and highs as much. Honestly I think they're worth a try. If I had the extra cash I'd keep a pair around just for the fun of it.
biggrin.gif

Also worth a listen is UE's new Metro.Fi 2 Very bassy, with pretty good detail.

Mar 7, 2007 at 10:18 AM Post #9 of 10
Hey Jasper, yeah I got distracted by photography, just back here to help me find some new IEMs...

So far i'm not sure my Super.fi 5 pro's are worth the $180 or so I paid for them. The clarity's very good, but the bass is neither low nor strong, the Creative 630s and EX71 are better for bass to my ears. Still burning them in, but they have 12 hours use and 12 hours strong burn-in so far.

Mar 8, 2007 at 9:46 AM Post #10 of 10
Well now i'm 99% sure i'm going to return the UE 5 pro's. There's plenty of high bass, but only some mid bass and not much low bass. My A900s are way better for bass, and not too far off for clarity. Overall the A900s just sound and feel better. Anyone have any thoughts before I return them? Other IEMs to try that have more bass? I like my Creative 630, EX71, and dislike the Shure E3 and apparently now the UE 5 pro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back