UE Super Fi 5 Pro upgrade? Small ear canals?
Dec 28, 2007 at 7:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

trip221

New Head-Fier
I'm looking at upgrading from the Creative EP630's to the Super Fi 5 Pros but I have a couple questions:

I have small ear canals and am wondering if I'll have any fit problems? Small enough that sometimes when I use q-tips ear wax will completely block the canal blocking all sound.

How bassey are they? I don't the bass to drown out the mids and highs, but I usually like a bit more bass than the average person. For comparison, when I use my Grado SR-60's, on some songs I like to set the EQ to bass boost for some added "oomph." I also looked at the super fi 5 EB's, but have a feeling that might be too much bass.

How tight is the seal? With the Ep630's, sometimes all you have to do is twist your head (or the cord will pull lightly against clothing) and the seal is broken. It seems like I have to constantly adjust the phones in my ear to keep the sound good.

The pro's are $140 on amazon, and that seems like a pretty good deal. So I may have to jump on it. Any others I should consider around this price?

Thanks

Dec 28, 2007 at 7:06 PM Post #2 of 14
I too have some small ear canals and own the UE SuperFi 5 pros. Fit is not a problem with the medium-sized inserts and they are very comfortable.

As for bass, they aren't too bad. Some of the best bass I've heard in an off the shelf IEM. They do benefit from some break-in, however, and the overall sound warms-up.

HTH.

Chris

Dec 28, 2007 at 8:20 PM Post #6 of 14
If you're willing to pay more I'm almost certain that q-JAYS will fit you, they come with 6 sizes of eartips which the smallest have been described to look as they would fit a small child.

Dec 28, 2007 at 9:20 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by trip221 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm looking at upgrading from the Creative EP630's to the Super Fi 5 Pros but I have a couple questions:

I have small ear canals and am wondering if I'll have any fit problems? Small enough that sometimes when I use q-tips ear wax will completely block the canal blocking all sound.

How bassey are they? I don't the bass to drown out the mids and highs, but I usually like a bit more bass than the average person. For comparison, when I use my Grado SR-60's, on some songs I like to set the EQ to bass boost for some added "oomph." I also looked at the super fi 5 EB's, but have a feeling that might be too much bass.

How tight is the seal? With the Ep630's, sometimes all you have to do is twist your head (or the cord will pull lightly against clothing) and the seal is broken. It seems like I have to constantly adjust the phones in my ear to keep the sound good.

The pro's are $140 on amazon, and that seems like a pretty good deal. So I may have to jump on it. Any others I should consider around this price?

Thanks

If you live in the USA you can buy them with confidence, especially at earphone solutions, because if you don't like the fit you can return them.
For the sound, I've upgraded my ep630 last year with the 5pro, and you will be not deluded: they sound very very nice, very fun and witha good bass, too!

Dec 29, 2007 at 7:42 AM Post #9 of 14
I found the 3-flange tips on the er-4p to fit me much better. The smallest tips on the super fi work, but it takes some serious ear pulling and headphone rocking and pushing to get a stable seal. That said, I'm probably going to return the er-4p because I prefer the super fi's sound. If only I could find an etymotic tip to fit the super fi...

Dec 31, 2007 at 6:27 PM Post #10 of 14
The only thing holding me back from buying the Super.fi 5 Pro is the over the ear thing. I haven't tried them, but I anticipate that it would annoy the heck out of me.

I'm still unsure what to get to go with my new Cowon D2.

Jan 2, 2008 at 1:00 AM Post #11 of 14
So after browsing around the forums, it seems that comfort-wise, Westone's are #1. The UM1's are $109, but the SF5 Pro's are only $20 more.

Comfort is important, but so is sound quality! What am I to do!?! The UM1's not-sticking-out-of-the-ear thing is nice too.

Once you get them in the ear, which one stays in better? I hate to have to readjust every song (like with the creatives).

I like them both, which would you pick?

Jan 2, 2008 at 1:33 AM Post #13 of 14
Unless you really crave a very "laid back" sound sign (warm, to me dull), then don't get the UM1s for fit alone. I owned them, and they are great comfort-wise, but they require the over the ear wire setup (which annoyed me), and have a very short cord in my view. Also, as noted, their highs are very muted, so if you like the sizzle of a cymbal, you don't find it with the UM1s. You can EQ them, but that's not the idea.

Also, I second the C700 vote vote. They are not IEMs, but canal phones, so if you are used to the 630s, these have the same tips, are well constructed, and only cost $99. And their sound quality is light years over the 630s. Can't speak for the UEs, but they get mixed reviews here, while the C700s enjoy a pretty unanimous positive response. They really deliver in the mid/high area, and have very adequate bass.

Jan 4, 2008 at 5:04 PM Post #14 of 14
Well, I did more reading and researching, and ultimately ordered the Westone UM1. I've had a lot of trouble lately with the EP630's, getting them to stay in my ears and keeping a good seal, and that swayed me to go mainly for fit and comfort, and the better sound will be a bonus. I also laid down the other day on my side, which didn't work so well and they say it should with the low profile of the westones. I also thought about how people say the Westone's have a "warm" sound and that's the same thing they said about my Senn HD555's, which I love.

Thanks for all the advice. Hopefully these satisfy my ears for another year or so... until I get the yearly itch for another pair of headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back