UE Super.fi 5 pro or Westone UM1 or Sennheiser IE7
Feb 9, 2010 at 6:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

field14

New Head-Fier
I had a pair of Shure SE 210s but i was not that impressed with them as i think the sounded a bit flat and lacked bass. I am looking for a new pair of IEMs and i am considering

UE Super.fi 5 pro

Westone UM1

Sennheiser IE7

I know the SF5 pros are dual drivers and the others are not but i have heard that the are big and uncomfortable so i don't know if i should avoid them.

I listen to a variety of music including electro, techno and rock. Bass is important (but i don't want it to bee to overpowering) but so are the mids and highs. What are your views on the overall sound quality, bass, comfort and noise isolation of these models and are there any others you would recommend for around the same price?

Feb 9, 2010 at 7:34 PM Post #2 of 16
I have not listened to the IE7, but you can defiantly toss the UM1 out for the type of music you listen to. SF5P is a different league than UM1.

I can wear the SF5P for up to 45minutes at a time. In contrast, I can wear the W1 (same size and shape as UM1) for up to 6 Hours maybe more. They also don't seem to isolate as much. The housing in cheaply made, I believe Logitech reduced the warranty to just 1 year, I wonder why...
They sound decent, but comfort and ergonomics they suck.

Feb 9, 2010 at 8:29 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by field14 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the reply. I did mean to say Westone 1 not UM1. Would you say the W1 have good bass?

I can double check when my other half get's home. Can you point out a song to listen to so I can give a better idea. Also what player are you using?

Feb 9, 2010 at 8:53 PM Post #5 of 16
I use an ipod touch for listening. A good song would be Silent Shout by The Knife which has a good range of low and high notes or Saturn Strobe by Pantha du Prince. I also listen to alternative music like Radiohead (15 step).

Feb 10, 2010 at 3:27 AM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by field14 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the reply. I did mean to say Westone 1 not UM1. Would you say the W1 have good bass?

I just got done listening to the W1 with The Knife, I say they're ok to below ok, you can do better for sure.
the W1 are more mid-centric with a small mid-bass hump and a drop for the deep bass (basically it's hard to hear for most music).
I'd almost recommend the sf5p but they just are a pain in the ass to wear for longer periods of time.

Feb 12, 2010 at 8:33 PM Post #8 of 16
Feb 12, 2010 at 11:14 PM Post #10 of 16
Go for the UM1 if you need comfort and isolation, IE7 if ou want big beefy sound and Sp5pro if you want a mix of both, with a compromise on both.
By the way, it is commonly aknlowledged that Super fi 5 has better comfort, but not really better sound than SF5Pro (except maybe better soundstage).
IMO, regarding sound: IE7 < SF5pro < UM1

Feb 17, 2010 at 10:41 PM Post #13 of 16
I owned the SF5Pro's for a long time before upgrading to the Super.fi 10's. I think it all comes down to your personal preference and the shape of your ears. I have somewhat bigger ears and quite honestly I think the UE's are the most comfortable and best sounding earphones I've worn. With that in mind, it does largely depend on your ear shape. For me the Shure SE530's weren't as comfortable but many people find those as the Holy Grail of earphones. I'd say if you can get your hands on some try them out a little. The 5.pro's to me sounded the best for the price range, because they were very balanced between bass and treble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back