UE Super.fi 5 pro or Sennheiser CX300 - Mp3 quality
Apr 18, 2007 at 2:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

rookie2

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, rookie2 here, i assume i'm #2 because 1 was taken and 2 went through.
tongue.gif
Anyway, this seem to be the best place to get advise about headphones. So, i hope you guys can help me.

I'm considering buying a UE Super.fi 5 pro or Sennheiser CX300. I read a lot of review about the "UE Super.fi 5 pro" here & there, and some user feedback on this forum. The review & opinion seem to be positive, But i found a review that stated Mp3 SQ gets distorted from 320kbps. I Mp3 collection is around 128~192kbps. If that's true then...
frown.gif

Now, I'm already aware that poor SQ mp3s won't make it sound better on higher grade equipment. I don't consider 128~192 mp3's poor SQ, is it? if you guys disagree then, i obviously missing out.
biggrin.gif
So, does anyone know if this distortion is true?

Apr 18, 2007 at 5:30 AM Post #3 of 16
Well, to be true, that was the first time hearing that 320kps will get distortion on MP3 players. I certain don't feel that with my mp3 player.
I believe many other people here would agree with my opinion or else, what is the point of having the capability to read flac files or the existence of IMOD

But if you are going to use a crappy source. I recommand you to stick with the CX300. Because UE super 5 would probably reveal the common static or bad SQ from a bad source.

Apr 18, 2007 at 6:15 AM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by DSlayerZX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, to be true, that was the first time hearing that 320kps will get distortion on MP3 players. I certain don't feel that with my mp3 player.
I believe many other people here would agree with my opinion or else, what is the point of having the capability to read flac files or the existence of IMOD

But if you are going to use a crappy source. I recommand you to stick with the CX300. Because UE super 5 would probably reveal the common static or bad SQ from a bad source.

So you think 128~192 is crappy? Where are the UE super 5 users? Are you using one? Are your average mp3's above 320kb? I would like to know because reviews don't stated the Kbps of the mp3's they test it with. When you mean "source", you're talking about the mp3 right?

Apr 18, 2007 at 7:06 AM Post #5 of 16
kk, i just using my super-fi few week. and thas what i found out. folks.. felt free point out if i wrong.

its more important where you plug your super fi then if mp3 its 320 or 128.
i try plug into 3 different hardware..

poor receiver <=== not even worth listen too..
G5 iPOD <=== a little background noise but you can fix it with Attenuator. bass getting distorted when its go extremely low and deep
x-fi in pc <=== much better then iPOD or poor receiver. bass become alot deeper, clean and smooth. also the background noise is gone

iPOD may able to drive the super-fi but it need power for good bass.. and thats not the ipod problem.. i got same problem with shure E2C but not sony MDR888

now.. those are all test with same song..
320 i dont got any distortion and bass seems heavier. but i only encode very few song in 320 and they all rock.
192 (thats what i normally have) only distorted in ipod with very deep base.
128.. i only listen to oldie with those setting such as platters, nat king cole nilsoon etc, none of em require heavy bass so again.. no distortion

at 320 i dont hear any distortion from bass even on ipod..
and the song i listen to mostly
Eric Clapton
Pet Shop boys
Tom petty
beatles etc

i never try EB and with good amp i dont think i would ever need those extra bass at all..if you think super fi is bad.. shure E2 and E3 is even worse. shure may got more balance sound but i just luve my bass too much
wink.gif

i'm looking to buy GRADO SR225 for my home use.. as full size can i expect improve alot compare to super fi (i hope), will let you know if i got my hands on it

Apr 18, 2007 at 9:30 AM Post #6 of 16
192Kb is ok, 320Kb is perfect for portable use. For home use (bigger hard drives) I prefer lossless.
128Kb pretty much sucks with headphones as good as the Super.fi 5 Pros.

Apr 18, 2007 at 9:46 AM Post #7 of 16
The notion that 320 kbps mp3 is "bad quality" is just silly.
Unless you're Superman McGoldenEars with a quality rig and/or know exactly what to listen for, you won't notice a significant difference from 320 kbps to lossless.

Especially if you're running a mid-level earphone like the Super Fi's or CX300 straight from the headphone jack, I'd say that 192 (and even 128 for some tracks) kbps are quite listenable.

IMO, go for the Super Fi's if you can get them cheapish like here, else take the CX300's, unless the improved quality of the UE's is worth the extra cost to you if you have to pay the "high" price like us Euro folks.
If you're going for the CX300's, you might also want to consider the Creative EP 630, which is very similar to them, but are usually a bit cheaper.

Apr 18, 2007 at 12:20 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by rookie2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone? The name "UE Super.fi" isn't a taboo here like the "Bose & skull candy" is it?
blink.gif
Why the no response(27 viewed)? Are these overrated headphones?

it could be the title of the thread mine are all in lossless
with the sf5p.

Apr 18, 2007 at 2:07 PM Post #9 of 16
I use my 5Pros with mostly 192kbps mp3 files and have never had a problem. Better phones means you start to here more of the flaws in the recording. As for your original question, I'd say find a pair used in the FS area or go through a site like earphonesolutions.com.

Apr 18, 2007 at 2:26 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by tk3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're going for the CX300's, you might also want to consider the Creative EP 630, which is very similar to them, but are usually a bit cheaper.

An euphemism
biggrin.gif

CX300 == Ep-630

The only difference is how they look...

Apr 18, 2007 at 3:29 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by ferros /img/forum/go_quote.gif
An euphemism
biggrin.gif

CX300 == Ep-630

The only difference is how they look...

they are a bit different...
CX-300 is slightly better...the low ends goes a bit further (sinks a bit more)
and a bit more detail...

Apr 18, 2007 at 5:03 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvelusjd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use my 5Pros with mostly 192kbps mp3 files and have never had a problem. Better phones means you start to here more of the flaws in the recording. As for your original question, I'd say find a pair used in the FS area or go through a site like earphonesolutions.com.

I plan on buying it from headphone.com. They a 30-day satisfaction guarantee policy. Anyone here shop there before? They're 30days policy is hassle free right?
Are the UE Super.fi 5 pro wires durable?

Apr 18, 2007 at 8:28 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by rookie2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I plan on buying it from headphone.com. They a 30-day satisfaction guarantee policy. Anyone here shop there before? They're 30days policy is hassle free right?
Are the UE Super.fi 5 pro wires durable?

Either place would give you a 30 day guarantee, so you should be set if you don't like them. The wires on the newer version that you should get are quite durable. Nice thing about these is that you can detach and replace the cable from the earphones if anything ever happens.

Apr 19, 2007 at 3:08 AM Post #14 of 16
The wires on the 5 Pro are very durable. Also if you do manage to damage them, they are removable and can be replaced very easily.

I find that I can't stand my recordings that are lower than 192Kbps. I start hearing the distortion in the high end and the artifacts begin to bother me. Don't fault the phones though, I've listened to the CX300s and the 5Pros have a much tighter bass and actually has a soundstage. The CX300s don't really do it for me. But keep in mind you have to pay a lot more for 5Pros.

Apr 19, 2007 at 3:40 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mico /img/forum/go_quote.gif
they are a bit different...
CX-300 is slightly better...the low ends goes a bit further (sinks a bit more)
and a bit more detail...

that is a debatable statement...from what i have read, the majority of people believe that the cx-300 and ep-630 have about the same SQ. some suspect that since the cx-300 is more expensive you think it sounds better when it really doesnt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back