ue super.fi 5 case smell....
Apr 5, 2008 at 3:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

dnullify

1000+ Head-Fier
i opened the case for the first time, and it smelled like pot (marijuana)!! what's up with that..
btw, the only reason i know that it is pot-smelling is because i have been to Amsterdam

Apr 5, 2008 at 4:17 AM Post #2 of 15
The clear cables on the UEs have a really strong scent, that I guess (maybe) could be mistaken for weed by someone really really inexperienced with it or unexposed to it.

That's really stretching it, though. They are based in California, after all.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 5, 2008 at 5:04 AM Post #4 of 15
I usually just read the forums and don't reply, but I have to throw in my $.02 on this one.

My SF5 case also smelled of pot. I asked several friends, and they agreed. To avoid giving them any predisposition, I simply asked what the case smelled like to them. Each one said marijuana. Strange!

Apr 5, 2008 at 6:29 AM Post #5 of 15
tell me about it.

nope, it's definitely not the wires! it is totally the case. strange indeed! in which case, i am happy with the headphones, so... the pot smell is just an added.... side affect... hehe

Apr 6, 2008 at 12:00 AM Post #7 of 15
You can call me crazy, but I've never smelled any rubber or plastic that was remotely like this (but then again, I don't spend a lot of my time making a point of smelling rubber or plastic). I'm fairly familiar with electronics think I know the plastic/synthetic rubber smell you all are referring to pretty well.

Other people to who have UEs and have seen my case claim that theirs did not ever smell like mine does. I wouldn't say I'm the kind of person who seeks out the smell of marijuana, but my case was pretty pungent (the smell has faded over the last couple of months). It's more entertaining than anything else...

Apr 6, 2008 at 12:42 AM Post #8 of 15
Damn!....Is that why my Triple Fi sounded soooo good?

biggrin.gif

Apr 6, 2008 at 3:26 AM Post #9 of 15
You were probably just stoned, and breathed into the case before smelling it, and smelled the weed on your own breath. Or you used it as a roach case, but since you were probably stoned off the roaches you stored in the case, forgot all about it.

Apr 6, 2008 at 3:30 AM Post #10 of 15
Maybe I haven't made myself clear...I don't smoke, and seriously I doubt UE bakes each individual headphone case before shipping them. It's just funny; I thought my friends and I were imagining things until I read the OP's post. Apparently I'm not the only one. Perhaps by sense of smell isn't as good as my hearing...

Apr 6, 2008 at 7:24 AM Post #11 of 15
Do you get, like, REALLY hungry after listening for a while? I mean, like, totally jonesing for a White Castle run? Oh, and dude, check out your hands! Isn't it weird that, like, you've got two of them, but they totally aren't the same? Whoa...

But seriously, that is kinda strange about your case. The bassist from my old band had a case for his axe that had a really strong smell that I can't even describe. He spritzed a whole bottle of Febreze on it one day and the stench still wouldn't go away. It kinda weirded him out.

Apr 8, 2008 at 2:21 AM Post #13 of 15
Wow, I thought it was just mine... When I bought a pair of SF3s, the inside of the case gave off a really skunky smell for about two months before I guess it totally aired out.
eek.gif

Apr 8, 2008 at 3:39 AM Post #14 of 15
I got the super.fi 5 pro and the case didn't smell but the cable did...a lot! After a year or so I busted mine and got a replacement which smelled as well. In fact, that was only a few weeks ago and it still smells like pot.

I keep it in this moisture-removing Westone IEM case and every time I take it out at work a cloud of pot smell comes out; my coworkers look at me funny.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back