UE super.fi 3 vs super.fi 5 pro? Big difference?
Jun 8, 2008 at 7:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

malkekoen

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I'm just about to order a pair of UE super.fi 3, but I just came across a super offer on the super.fi 5 pro (150$).

I don't have the opportunity to listen to the 5 pro, so I have to rely on the speciallists in here
smily_headphones1.gif

Is the sound quality really that better in the super.fi 5 pro? Can the difference justify the price (almost double up)?

Really hope you can help - have to place my order today, if I am to get the discount on the 5 pro..

Cheers!

Jun 8, 2008 at 10:55 AM Post #3 of 15
Thanks! Anyone second that?

Quote:

Originally Posted by FeedMeTrance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes

the SF5 kicks butt, id go up and invest in the SF5s, but then why don't go all the way for the Triple Fi!

It's justified, the sq jump is great i reckon

Jun 8, 2008 at 12:21 PM Post #5 of 15
At $150, I'd call the super.fi 5 over 3 a no-brainer. Once you figure out a fit for you (which is anywhere from really easy to a long process like it was for me), you will be amazed...

Then comes that triple.fi question. The super.fi 5s pretty much blew my itty bitty mind - I'm a detail and clarity nut, and these present just about everything with crystal clear clarity. At that point, I knew I'd have to upgrade to triple.fis. However, unless you can easily afford 2X or more the cost of the super.fi 5s, think about it hard since you've not tried any of the UE super/triple products before at all. It's a big leap, and while they resell well, you'd still be making quite a commitment to jump into ~$300+ earphones and you might not find them worth it.

Jun 8, 2008 at 2:11 PM Post #7 of 15
same, but more me, the price jump is more than double. 50 for 3s, 100 for 5 e/b and 120 for 5 pro (pounds) is the jump still worth it? also, as the fi's easy to break?

Jun 8, 2008 at 4:26 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by gautam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
also, as the fi's easy to break?

In my estimation, they're the most durable earphone I've had because of their replaceable cables. Every single head/earphone failure I've had is due to cable failure, usually at the headphone jack but also at the eardriver/cable interface. Sure, I could learn to recable and repair (and one of these days, I'm probably going to since I have a growing collection of dead but revivable earphones in various boxes and drawers), but I'm not shelling out the money a lot of these earphones cost to become an amateur EE. At no point are you risking more than $20 replacement for the most likely sources of failure, and the drivers are warrantied for a solid 2 years, a lot longer than most.

Jun 8, 2008 at 4:52 PM Post #11 of 15
The UE phones all have different sound signatures. I went from the 3 to 5 and got more bass, more detail and a bigger soundstage. But the mids were way less forward and the separation is less. The image is not the greatest for rock music. Not the tightest bass and at best uninspiring mids. The 5 pro is better but not in all areas. It is still mid-level for a reason. I think most who go ga-ga over it just haven't hear enough of what is out there. It is a very good earphone not anything really special though. I got my 5 Pro a ways back for $159 shipped from Amazon. For $150 you will get your moneys worth. Having some AKG phones, the mids didn't thrill me and the stiff cable does give trouble esp. in cold weather seasons. No complaints otherwise, just felt I wanted both of what the the 3 and 5 Pro brought to the table with no sacrifice.

So through upgaditis, I bought and sold the 3, 5 Pro, and Triple.fi all within about 3 months. Ended up buying a second SF3 as a backup and used it with my Ety S adapter as my workout phone. It needed the adapter since I found the 3 harsh on the high end and remembered how it became creamy smooth when fed more power. Then the cable upgrade brought a nice SQ boost that put it over the top. The drawbacks are a longer cable, for me UE products still lack in comfort, and they will never isolate like a newer Shure or ETY can(you lose more SQ in noisy environments with UE than the better isolating ones). It is probably still the best sounding universal earphone I have heard though I was not able to A/B compare all the best I have heard.

The SF3 is underutilized and if you have had all three models and amped them, the 3 improves the most. So, I went and used my S adapter and also bought the Westone ES cable for it. The result, In my experience, is a phone with a larger soundstage, more detail, tighter bass, much better mids, better treble, clarity, transparency, comfort, and a bit more speed and impact than a 5 Pro. Cost less also. So, the 5 Pro lost in every way except needing less battery life. Of course this meant I could hear some system noises(button press registering on my iriver) and more hiss(source dependent of course) since of the higher impedance/sensitivity.

I thought the Triple.fi is more extended than a modded three but smaller sounding with the same tips and not near as much fun. Two different signatures though; one is bass oriented and the other balanced with a lean toward the treble end.

I would say for the $125, if you like fast,fun, mid forward, leans toward the bass side of the spectrum signature with a more dynamic-like punch, then modding a SF3 is a real option.

Jun 8, 2008 at 6:33 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by jant71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think most who go ga-ga over it just haven't hear enough of what is out there. It is a very good earphone not anything really special though.

You read your extremely nitpicking analysis of the various UE flavors, your very long list of IEMs all rejected for some reason, and then your current "oddball" currents of an eBay Chinese brand and, basically, upgraded marshmallows, both available for much less than even SF3s (and presumably performing somewhere in the same vicinity), and it all comes off a bit strange, to me at any rate.

I am not going to pretend to have heard everything under the sun. I am going to say that Super.fi 5 pros were the very first IEM I ever even liked let alone loved. I listen to pretty much every genre of music under the sun and have never found them unacceptable. They're not the best headphone I've heard, but they are the best portable headphone I've heard, and they're good enough I plan to upgrade to triple.fis as soon as I can raise the scratch.

I mean, if super.fi 5 pros for $120-$170 aren't something special in a market where high quality earbuds cost even more money, then what is? Their performance is very strong for their price, and if they weren't your cup of tea, I get that, but your review makes them sound decidedly average for the price.

Jun 9, 2008 at 3:56 PM Post #14 of 15
I'm seriously starting to look at the sf5 as a replacement for my now deceased X3's. I've heard folks say their sound signatures are similar. I loved the X3's but the quality kinda disappointed me.

Would the superfi's be an upgrade bearing in mind that I'm running them out of an amp?

Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back