UE super.fi 3 pro's or Sony MDR-EX81LP?
Oct 18, 2005 at 6:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

appar111

Headphoneus Supremus
Has anyone out there tried both of these? I'm looking for something under $100 for use w/ a Sony MD recorder. The UE's go for $99 and the EX81's for half that (or more, depending on where you get them).

My gut is telling me to go for the Sonys, because from what I've read, the super.fi 3's might not be worth the $99. My other options are PX100's, K26P's, PX200's, Portapros. I've tried Shure E2's and E3's and didn't care for them, and I don't want to go more than $100.

So out of the super.fi 3's and the EX81's, which would you pick for rock & metal on a Sony MD player?

Oct 18, 2005 at 7:03 PM Post #2 of 12
Bought and returned the Super Fi's 3 and ended up with the Super Fi Pro's

The 3's sounded thin and wheezy, like they were straining.

For the money i think the sony 81's sound pretty good. They have a bit too much bass but are improved over the sony 71's.

My GF uses them with her mini and is pleased

Oct 19, 2005 at 3:26 AM Post #5 of 12
I second the Ety ER-6 or ER-6i's. They can be had for under $100 now and sounded very very nice out of my friends MZ--NH900.

FYI, You might want to avoid the Sony's if you have smaller ears and plan on using them a lot while acitive. The ear hoops on the Sony EX-81's seem to be made for massive ears. I have what I would consider to be average sized ears and I had a lot of problems keeping them in place while running.

Oct 19, 2005 at 3:31 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by false
You might want to avoid the Sony's if you have smaller ears and plan on using them a lot while acitive. The ear hoops on the Sony EX-81's seem to be made for massive ears. I have what I would consider to be average sized ears and I had a lot of problems keeping them in place while running.

The loops barely touch my ears. I consider my ears average-sized. Agree they are for big ears.

appar111, be sure your source has a decent EQ if you decide on the EX81s. I find the midrange of the PX100s to be upfront in comparison.

Oct 19, 2005 at 3:33 AM Post #7 of 12
Consider the ER6i or UM1. UM1 has sweeter mids and less treble than the ER6i. To me, ER6i is bad for metal, treble is too shrilly and harsh. But its good for rock/pop. UM1 is better for metal and it has stronger bass. ER6i has more prominant details and less bass.

Oct 19, 2005 at 1:05 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by ajlitt
For <$100, why not Ety ER6i?

because of the gawd-awful "ipod white" color... if they offered them in black, I'd probably get them... I thought about the ER6's too, but I fear they may be too bright, even adding bass via EQ. I tried the UM1's a couple years ago and wasn't impressed by them at all-- they sounded very "congested".

Perhaps EX71's, so I don't have to worry about the loops on the EX81's?

Oct 19, 2005 at 2:34 PM Post #10 of 12
I'm refering to the new UM1. Anyways, avoid the EX71. You should be considering the HJE50 or EP630 in that price range. The HJE50 might be your best bet because it have a 0.5m cord for use with your MD's remote.

Oct 19, 2005 at 5:12 PM Post #11 of 12
Actually I never use remotes-- I hate 'em, so I'd need find one w/ a decent cord length. I think Circuit City may have the Panasonic HJE50's...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back