UE SF5 EB/Pro: IEM's for metal music on the go
Dec 6, 2008 at 8:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

n0mel

New Head-Fier
I've been reading topics on this forum, and it has been extremely helpful so far. I searched the forums, but really couldn't find definite answers/topics for my questions, so here goes.

I am looking for IEM headphones for (mainly) metal music/rock. Right now I'm leaning toward the UE SF5 EB's. I think reviews are a bit mixed between these and the SF5 Pro's. I think bass is important when listening to metal. I would be using my Sony NWZ-A818 when listening in bus/metro/train, and I think the sound isolation is good enough in either of these headphones. At home I would probably be using these with my computer. As I am a student, price is an issue. I can't afford two pairs of higher-end headphones, separate one's for home and MP3-player. Then again, at home I mostly use my speakers. I appreciate quality when it comes to things like this, but right now I do have an upper limit in price. These UE's sit right at the maximum I'm willing to pay. Now to put the questions simply:

1. Is there anyone here who listens to metal with either of these headphones? What are your experiences?

2. Where can I find info on how to properly burn-in these? This whole process was something new to me, and even if the advantage of this seems to be split between people, I hardly think doing it would hurt.

Thank you in advance to all those who have the time to help me out. Your experiences and comments are welcome.

Dec 6, 2008 at 12:15 PM Post #2 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by n0mel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been reading topics on this forum, and it has been extremely helpful so far. I searched the forums, but really couldn't find definite answers/topics for my questions, so here goes.

I am looking for IEM headphones for (mainly) metal music/rock. Right now I'm leaning toward the UE SF5 EB's. I think reviews are a bit mixed between these and the SF5 Pro's. I think bass is important when listening to metal. I would be using my Sony NWZ-A818 when listening in bus/metro/train, and I think the sound isolation is good enough in either of these headphones. At home I would probably be using these with my computer. As I am a student, price is an issue. I can't afford two pairs of higher-end headphones, separate one's for home and MP3-player. Then again, at home I mostly use my speakers. I appreciate quality when it comes to things like this, but right now I do have an upper limit in price. These UE's sit right at the maximum I'm willing to pay. Now to put the questions simply:

1. Is there anyone here who listens to metal with either of these headphones? What are your experiences?

2. Where can I find info on how to properly burn-in these? This whole process was something new to me, and even if the advantage of this seems to be split between people, I hardly think doing it would hurt.

Thank you in advance to all those who have the time to help me out. Your experiences and comments are welcome.

I have sf5pro and I mainly listen to metal/progressive (Opeth, Dillinger Escape Plan, Mastodon...) and I find them absolutely brilliant. Bass of sf5pro is more than sufficient, not overpowering and the sound overall is very balanced. Regarding the burn-in: I just kept wearing them
smily_headphones1.gif
Maybe there is such a thing or maybe just my ears got used to them, but now (500hrs+) I find mine more transparrent than in the beginning.
To answer your question: I listen to a lot of metal and I'm very happy with my sf5pro. You shoudn't be disappointed when you decide to go for them.

Dec 6, 2008 at 5:21 PM Post #3 of 13
Get the Future Sonics Atrio M5 instead of the 5 EB.

You can get it for $10-30 more than the 5 EB, and it's a much better IEM for crisp, clean bass (Which good metal requires. The 5 EB has sluggish bass response, although it hits hard). I wish I'd gotten it instead of the 5 EB right from the start.

If/when you decide on your phones, I have some burn-in files hosted I could link to you in a PM.

Dec 7, 2008 at 10:01 AM Post #4 of 13
Thank you for the suggestions. I live in Finland, so I think the Future Sonics might be really hard to get. Amazon UK doesn't ship to Finland. I'll have to investigate this further. The UE's are dual-driver while the FS's are single, but the reviews for the FS M5's are really positive.

This is quite a big investment for me, so I really don't want to make a bad decision. From what I've read the SF5 Pro's have 'better' sound than the SF5 EB's. But like I said in my original post, I like the bass. Now I just have to figure out if the bass in the SF5 Pro's is enough for me, or will I have to get the EB's.

Currently I use the the earphones that came with my Sony NWZ-A818, which partially go into the earcanal. They are definitely better than, say, stock iPod earphones. But I have no doubt Ultimate Ears or Future Sonics are better.

More suggestions are welcome! Try to convince me in one direction, so my decision won't be so hard make
wink.gif
The Future Sonics aren't out of the question yet, if I can find a store that ships them to Finland.

Dec 7, 2008 at 10:03 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by cassper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have sf5pro and I mainly listen to metal/progressive (Opeth, Dillinger Escape Plan, Mastodon...) and I find them absolutely brilliant. Bass of sf5pro is more than sufficient, not overpowering and the sound overall is very balanced. Regarding the burn-in: I just kept wearing them
smily_headphones1.gif
Maybe there is such a thing or maybe just my ears got used to them, but now (500hrs+) I find mine more transparrent than in the beginning.
To answer your question: I listen to a lot of metal and I'm very happy with my sf5pro. You shoudn't be disappointed when you decide to go for them.

Just wanted to comment that the artists you mentioned are all on my regular playlist...
dt880smile.png

Dec 7, 2008 at 2:51 PM Post #6 of 13
IMHO metal is not a basshead genre and the basshead IEMs like Superfi EB and Atrio M5 are way too slow to be good metal IEMs. The Superfi 5 Pro is better but is still lacking in clarity and speed. I'll recommend you to look into the SA6, it has less bass but a lot more speed and is a far better choice than the Superfi 5 Pro, for only a bit more. Or if you must have bass at least get the Image X10.

Dec 7, 2008 at 4:54 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMHO metal is not a basshead genre and the basshead IEMs like Superfi EB and Atrio M5 are way too slow to be good metal IEMs. The Superfi 5 Pro is better but is still lacking in clarity and speed. I'll recommend you to look into the SA6, it has less bass but a lot more speed and is a far better choice than the Superfi 5 Pro, for only a bit more. Or if you must have bass at least get the Image X10.

I agree, I am not perhaps exactly a basshead. But I hated it when I eg. listened to metal with Sennheisers, which had a pretty natural sound. I'm used to there being more oomph when listening to metal
smily_headphones1.gif

I hadn't even considered the SA6's or X10's. They both look incredibly good. Another option it seems. My research will take some more time it seems...

Dec 8, 2008 at 12:43 PM Post #8 of 13
I am now seriously leaning toward the Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro's. The reviews for them are also good. I'm thinking I can't go entirely wrong with these. Anyone care to convince me to take the plunge?
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 1, 2009 at 10:19 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taikero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get the Future Sonics Atrio M5 instead of the 5 EB.

You can get it for $10-30 more than the 5 EB, and it's a much better IEM for crisp, clean bass (Which good metal requires. The 5 EB has sluggish bass response, although it hits hard). I wish I'd gotten it instead of the 5 EB right from the start.

If/when you decide on your phones, I have some burn-in files hosted I could link to you in a PM.

my fav is the superfi 5 eb, then i compare westone 3 and triplefi 10 and still i prefer the superfi 5 eb,, next i will have to try atrio m5 unless somone thinks the jvc s70 are more bass

Nov 1, 2009 at 10:22 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif

wow i totally disagree, while i listen to more early 80;s hardcore,, sounds olike you listen to deaf leapard

Nov 1, 2009 at 10:28 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by techenvy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow i totally disagree, while i listen to more early 80;s hardcore,, sounds olike you listen to deaf leapard

wow you just bumped up a 1 year old thread.

Nov 1, 2009 at 10:32 PM Post #12 of 13
I have the Pros and they are great. I listen to primarily metal, but like a little of almost every genre. The bass is not over powering and may not be great if you look to listen to hip-hop, etc but work well for metal.

My only problem I have is that the cord is not the greatest. It is replaceable, but seams to break a little more often than it should in my opinion. I have already replaced it after a year. I only use it at work; I have a desk job so I'm not staining the cables all that much. Just something to think about since it's an extra $20 USD per cable replacement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back