UE RM + amp?
May 2, 2012 at 1:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

dkpaul

100+ Head-Fier
I recently got a pair of UE RM. I thought I'd like my Corda Move and/or iBasso D4 driving it, but no.. I was wrong. It's too loud. yes they bring forward a frequency in the spectrum, but it hurts my ears. so at the time being i'm listening directly out of iPod (it's not too bad). 

those who own UE RM, which portable amp do you use if you use one? I'm thinking about Shadow since it was designed for IEM.

May 2, 2012 at 2:36 AM Post #2 of 12
I am currently using an AMB Mini^3 with pretty good results. The volume control is a little iffy, (same analog Alps used in most portables) but still liveable.  I've been looking at all the options out there and not too many of them really get me excited. The Headstage Arrow offers the most features in a nice package, but I don't know anyone using one with the UERM.

May 2, 2012 at 10:54 AM Post #3 of 12
Quote:
I am currently using an AMB Mini^3 with pretty good results. The volume control is a little iffy, (same analog Alps used in most portables) but still liveable.  I've been looking at all the options out there and not too many of them really get me excited. The Headstage Arrow offers the most features in a nice package, but I don't know anyone using one with the UERM

I see. so it's definitely better than non-amp option? how's the volume? I can barely turn the volume knob on my two portable amps and it's already too loud...
how far do you have to turn the knob to reach an acceptable volume level? 

May 2, 2012 at 11:03 AM Post #4 of 12
It does flesh out the sound compared to an i device. I have the low gain version and  it clicks on at about 8 and I get the volume I want at about 10-11.  Like I said.. it isn't the best, but workable in a nice price range.

May 4, 2012 at 12:31 PM Post #6 of 12
I took out my old Corda Move... wow what a difference it makes. It definitely blows out the iPod-direct sound by miles.
the only disadvantage is the size and weight. I'm eager to try the Shadow, but @ $400, I am not sure if I'll get that much of an improvement/convenience from a new amp.

as for the wearing the RM, I'm hitting the learning curve. at first, I was trying to push them all the way into my ears (I mean really pushing them in). but it seems like that causes pain after a short time. 
Now I'm letting them sit on my ears just enough to cover the canal (I don't know exact name of that part of the ear) 'loosely'. and that fits much better and comfortable.

I will update on the amp issue if I ever decide to shell out $400 for a Shadow.

May 4, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #7 of 12
Pico Slim is the amp I found works best with the UERM. I have heard the UERM on the Stepdance, SR71A, SR71B, 2Move, DX100 and HM801 and preferred the Pico. This is the single biggest reason I continue to keep the Pico.

May 4, 2012 at 7:02 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:
Pico Slim is the amp I found works best with the UERM. I have heard the UERM on the Stepdance, SR71A, SR71B, 2Move, DX100 and HM801 and preferred the Pico. This is the single biggest reason I continue to keep the Pico.

hm.. that's one of the amps that I had in mind besides Shadow.
how are you with the volume? the Move is too loud for RM. I barely turn the knob and it's already too loud for long listening....

May 5, 2012 at 1:35 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:
I am currently using an AMB Mini^3 with pretty good results. The volume control is a little iffy, (same analog Alps used in most portables) but still liveable.  I've been looking at all the options out there and not too many of them really get me excited. The Headstage Arrow offers the most features in a nice package, but I don't know anyone using one with the UERM.

That's gonna be me soon! Will definitely post about that combo when I get my UERM. Headstage is suppose to be a neutral amp with excellent bass and treble boosts so should be a perfect match.

May 5, 2012 at 2:30 AM Post #10 of 12
Those were my thoughts too. I like everything about it except for the lack of an integrated DAC.  Just happens to be that I'm in front of a computer all day, so it makes sense to have an all in one that it suitable for IEM's.  My bigger amps don't play as nice with them.

May 6, 2012 at 12:52 AM Post #12 of 12
I discovered two interesting facts:
- rechargeable 9v batteries create a heck of noise (hiss) on my iBasso D4. but not on Corda Move.
- Corda Move has much forthcoming highs that hurt my ears. D4's treble is somewhat recessed, but it turns out that is easier on my ears.
- I'm sitting in front of the computer all day as well. I guess I will ditch the Move after all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back