UE 900 review, and why I'm a terrible audiophile.
Mar 16, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #16 of 23
Not saying it is better but a big difference I heard with the short time I had UE900 I thought it sounded much cleaner, crisper and brighter with zero veil.  Agreed?  Anything bad about this?

Certainly the W4 is heavier, more lush, smoother and more refined.

Mar 16, 2013 at 11:08 PM Post #17 of 23
Not saying it is better but a big difference I heard with the short time I had UE900 I thought it sounded much cleaner, crisper and brighter with zero veil.  Agreed?  Anything bad about this?

Certainly the W4 is heavier, more lush, smoother and more refined.

Agree. The UE900 does sound crisper and brighter with no veil. But that makes it sound thinner and leaner bass compared to the W4. Can be slightly fatiguing after long hours. The W4 paired with a silver cable just sound better without anymore veil.

Mar 17, 2013 at 12:01 AM Post #18 of 23
I get no fatigue from the UE900 and love the qualities mentioned by Spyro. At the least I think it's important we remember to mention something is better for us as individuals versus better in general. Better in general connotes one product is superior to the other which really isn't the case between the W4 and UE900, they really are difference in taste at this level of product.

Mar 17, 2013 at 6:04 AM Post #19 of 23
I get no fatigue from the UE900 and love the qualities mentioned by Spyro. At the least I think it's important we remember to mention something is better for us as individuals versus better in general. Better in general connotes one product is superior to the other which really isn't the case between the W4 and UE900, they really are difference in taste at this level of product.

Totally agree with you. Sound preference is a very personal taste. It can appeal very much to one person but totally the other way round for another. To me both are great IEMs. I, once, were a fan of UE sound signature (referring to TF10). The treble extension and energy with it's quantity of bass and soundstage is stellar. Maybe that's the reason why UE900 didn't appeal to me that much. W4 does have it's flaws too. I'm still continuing the search for the prefect IEM to me but haven't been able to find one yet.

Mar 17, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #20 of 23
Quote:
Judging by your liking for a warmer sound, the Shure SE 535 or SE 535 Red Special Edition suit you better as they have a far warmer sound with two woofers and one tweeter.

Been there, done that. :)

SE535's performance is roughly on par with my Sensaphonics 2X-S, with the Sensa having a higher level of clarity, better balance, and still warm and musical. Since Sensaphonics 2X-S is custom as well, there's no reason for me to own a SE535, which is why I had one and gave it to my cousin.

Mar 18, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #21 of 23
I could not agree more with the first post. I love my UE900. I also own Shure SE535 and theres something wrong with the mids and highs, they seem to play "dirty" if you understand me, although the sound stage, ergonomics and product quality is brilliant on the other hand. The fact is I cant stand this flaw in the shure, IMHO, and find myself only listening to UE900.

Mar 19, 2013 at 1:31 AM Post #23 of 23
I really need to get myself a pair of W4R to see what's all the fuzz is about.  However, I doubt that the W4R is that much better than the UE900, and I do think it really boils down to a matter of personal taste.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back