UE 700 vs Superfi 5. Need help ASAP
Apr 25, 2010 at 1:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

ads1107

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all

Am able to get either of the two at a great price...

700 - $135aud ($125usd)
Superfi 5 - $95aud ($88usd) (the newer style ones)

For us in Australia, thats VERY cheap
smily_headphones1.gif

So, music i listen to most, electronic mainly. trance, techno, house, little bit of rock... minimal vocals in general.... im not a bass head, but like it to go quite low, bit punchy, though not overpowering. current phones are the monster turbines.

this is a sale price so wont last long at all...

what do people suggest? even if they arent my primary phones, just to keep as a spare as the price is pretty good...

thanks in advanced

edit: will be used with sony nwz-s545 and sony ericsson x10

Apr 25, 2010 at 1:34 PM Post #2 of 11
I'm curious.. where in Australia *can* you get them at these prices? That's amazing...

Apr 25, 2010 at 1:43 PM Post #4 of 11
Ahh.. fast Eddie. I would get the UE700's as well.

Apr 25, 2010 at 1:52 PM Post #6 of 11
If you're careful with the UE700s, then go ahead, but I do warn you that the cabling is absolutely terrible.

I bought them just before Xmas and now they're broken entirely, with the cable encasing just above the 3.5 tearing off completely, and showing bad wear on the splitter. The rubber connection between the 3.5 and the cable itself is of the poorest quality, and any sort of tension and pressure is going to wear away the cable very fast and most likely tear it. I look after the cabling and the earphones, always made sure they were protected and not strained, but I just couldn't help what happened.

Greatest earphones I've listened to to date, don't get me wrong, an I've been through many - CX-95s, Etymotic ER6is, Shure... and the dual armature drivers are just beautiful, but I will NOT be buying them again, not after watching the cable deteriorate at such pace.

Apr 25, 2010 at 5:06 PM Post #8 of 11
Hey everyone my first post
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyways, I have had my superfi 5's for 4months already and last week the cable started to break apart and I have sent them for repair, hopefully returned good as new
smily_headphones1.gif
. What zimmerx is true, the rubber connection between the 3.5 and cable is of poor quality.

Apr 25, 2010 at 5:18 PM Post #9 of 11
As far as I'm aware, the warranty for the 700s does not include the cable.
Also, I take very good care of them, but the cabling is just terrible quality. In my opinion, if you're going to suffer a problem like that, you're best off finding something else.

Apr 25, 2010 at 6:38 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZimmerX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As far as I'm aware, the warranty for the 700s does not include the cable.
Also, I take very good care of them, but the cabling is just terrible quality. In my opinion, if you're going to suffer a problem like that, you're best off finding something else.

I've read the TF10 warranty card carefully and their cables aren't technically covered either, but they've still covered it for me and many others. but of course if they ever change their mind, it's in print that the cables aren't covered so YMMV.

Apr 25, 2010 at 7:56 PM Post #11 of 11
Yeah, well I spent a plane journey ripping the remainder of the cable off so I could quickly and messily put the cable contacts together to make them work again... So now I'm quite sure that they won't fix them haha. My other slight worry would be that UE are now owned by Logitech and for europeans you're not even given a contact number directly for UE, you have to go through Logitech... And knowing them, they're a total pain in the ass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back