UE 5C vs UE5 Pro
Nov 7, 2004 at 5:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

vienna

Head-Fier
I can;t figure out what the difference is....can anyone please help me out....other than the $200 price difference. Man, I want some custom IEM, but I'm having a hard time deciding....

Nov 7, 2004 at 7:51 PM Post #3 of 14
The difference is the target market - if you are 'only' intending to listen to pre-recorded material then the UE5C are their recommended option; the pro ones are tuned for live performance, which i guess means the bass response is tweaked as performer feedback demanded.

Am tempted by the IEMs myself; turns out the Sensaphonics are easier to get hold of locally so I guess my decision making will be easier than yours; decoding the options and deciding based on the UA website seems a tricky process; so many options ...

Have you considered the UE5 ambient? the option of IEM where you can still hear the phone ringing if you like seems like it might have some merit

Nov 7, 2004 at 9:08 PM Post #4 of 14
I strongly reccomend writing directly to UE. With me they've always been very helpful.

Nov 7, 2004 at 9:56 PM Post #5 of 14
This is an issue I inquired UE before. With the UE5c, there's more hump in the mid-bass region, giving you more active response for listening to recorded music (of course, this is built on the fact that majority of consumer has come to expect a more foward mid-bass, doesn't necessarily apply to us audiophiles on this site at all). The UE5-Pro is more flat.

Otherwise, issues such as soundstage, instrument separation and detail is really unknown. Of course, nothing in their company literature can tell you anything about those finer details.

I think another difference is that UE5c was available in full hard acrylic material only. UE5-Pro has its ear canal section made from soft acrylic material or something alike to it, I think. This material will probably also separate from the other half (the hard acrylic housing portion) over time, as had happened with my UE-10 Pro, and also used to happen with many other older IEM models from various company that used that type of construction.

I say either go with UE5c and save the money, or if you're poised to spend $200~$300 more, get the Sensaphonics 2X-S instead.

Nov 7, 2004 at 11:08 PM Post #6 of 14
Hi Vienna!

UE has been pretty clear that the UE5Pro is tuned for live performance vs recorded music. I'd say stick with the UE5c -- it's wonderful and you'll save some money in the bargain!

Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions about the UE5c.

Nov 8, 2004 at 1:18 AM Post #7 of 14
well, i might bite the bullet and get a 10epro
smily_headphones1.gif
who knows....either the 5 of the 10

Nov 8, 2004 at 5:16 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by vienna
smily_headphones1.gif

Depends on what you're going after.. UE-10 Pro is certainly more neutral and technically better. At the same time they're also a bit on the boring side in comparison. Disregard UE-10 Pro's technical merits, I found myself liking UE5c more. Of course, I would rather take 2X-S over either.

Nov 8, 2004 at 10:17 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by vienna
smily_headphones1.gif

Vienna, trust me: I've been listening to them for nearly six months. UE-10 are everything but boring.

Nov 8, 2004 at 3:00 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by bLue_oNioN
Because of this and this.

Yeah, blue_onion pointed out both of my reviews... so... if you read through them it should be pretty easy to tell why I like 2X-S more.

IMO, UE-10 is boring in comparison to both UE5c and 2X-S... Of course, if that's all you have, you probably would never be able to tell.

Nov 9, 2004 at 6:13 PM Post #14 of 14
I don't think you can go wrong with the UE5c or the 2x-s. Take a close look at how they are configured and see if you have a preference. There are also a couple of reviews that describe their different sound signatures.

FWIW, I'm happy with my UE5c's...but from what I've read, I would like the Sensas also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back