UE-5c vs. UE-10
Mar 23, 2007 at 9:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 52

tonyfiore75

100+ Head-Fier
Hey,

I'm sure this has been discussed before but I was wondering if anyone had anything to say about the two. I already have an appointment for next week with an audiologist so it's a done deal- it's just a matter of how much I want to/can spend. I was originally leaning towards the UE-5cs ($550). They seem like the perfect price range for me. I don't however want to be constantly kicking myself for NOT getting the UE-10s ($900). I mean, it's a pretty significant price difference. Hell, the difference is around the cost of a UM2! So... HOW much better is the UE-10 from the UE-5cs?

Note, I will be primarily using them to listen to a Creative Zen Vision:M. The UE-5cs are supposedly DESIGNED for such a device.

HELLLLLLLLLLLLPPPPP!!!!

Thanks a lot. I'm really torn here. I need input.

-T
confused.gif

Mar 24, 2007 at 4:58 PM Post #3 of 52
I guess the main question/point is this- is that $300 difference in price worth it? I mean, I'm using a Creative Vision: M player. It's not like I'll be using these professionally or even with my home stereo system. so as far as PORTABLE headphones go- would I really be missing a lot by not spending the extra money for the UE-10s?

Thanks, everyone!

Mar 24, 2007 at 7:48 PM Post #5 of 52
I know that the meanings should be/are probably pretty obvious but can someone describe the difference between analytical phones and musical phones? I mean, why would analytical phones not be as 'fun'? Because you hear all of the hisses and things of that nature? Imperfections?

Thanks again!

Mar 25, 2007 at 12:23 AM Post #8 of 52
"for the win"

If you do a search, I think there are a couple of people who have the 7, but I believe UE would steer you to either the 5c or 10 pro for a non-performer application.

Your understanding of analytical is pretty much spot on. The UE-5c is more forgiving of a poor source or poor recording. The UE-10 pro brings certain imperfections into sharper relief, which I would characterize as a more analytical sound. I happen to prefer that in the end because I want to be able to hear everything. Analytical to me is not the opposite of fun, for what its worth, so I don't mean to use the words as antonyms. But around here, I think "fun" generally translates to a warmer sound that is more forgiving of sources and recordings. Fun phones tend to have more pronounced coloration , and imo, lean toward the bassy side of things.

Mar 25, 2007 at 3:04 AM Post #9 of 52
Thanks, Monkey Man. Needless to say I'm still not sure what to get. I think at this point I have 'paralysis through analysis' syndrome. There's only so much research you can do on something without actually trying the darned thing out.

On one hand OF COURSE I want to hear everything. That, to me, is what having a great set of earphones is all about. Hearing every sound that was intended (and maybe not so intended) on a recording. When I got my first set of high end IEMs THIS is what brought me such great joy. I was hearing things on songs that I had heard hundreds of times- for the first time; and I was simply in awe of them.

On the other hand, I do use a device that probably doesn't give me the BEST sound possible so I am wondering if spending the extra $300 is worth it. The E5cs are sold as phones for use with portable devices such as mine. so in that respect I feel like that's what I should get since I am not a professional musician and do not plan on being one other than in my dreams. I do play the guitar, though.

Part of me says- just the the UE-10s so that you'll never have to worry about whether you got the best. Then another part of me says, well you might not even notice a very big difference; AND I'm sure that better phones will come out in the future anyway.

Ugh, so confused. any last words of wisdom? I still have time. My appointment with the audiologist is on Wednesday, so I plan on making my choice that day.

Thanks a lot people. I really do appreciate the advice.

-T

Mar 25, 2007 at 4:00 AM Post #11 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zuerst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you can afford it, go for the ue10.

I'm going to agree with this. Your source likely will change some day if you are in this hobby for the long haul. I think it always makes sense to get something that will scale well even if it means the extra bucks.

The UE-10 is worth the extra bucks. Then again, i love spending other headfiers money.
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 25, 2007 at 4:05 AM Post #12 of 52
You are all evil, evil people. I think I have to agree with you. I'm gonna go for it. Hell, all of this grief and stress is worth the extra $300 bananas. UE-10s it is. I'm taking the plunge. F it.

Mar 26, 2007 at 1:12 PM Post #13 of 52
I am once again leaning towards the UE-5c. Why? Because I think I would prefer a more 'fun' and 'warm' sound for my listening than an analytical one. I really like the sound of my UE Super.Fi 5 Pros and from what I have gathered these are similar but better in sound.

So... as of right now I think I'm gonna go with the 5cs, that is unless anyone has anything more to say. Which, of course, I openly welcome.

SUCH a hard decision!!!

Mar 26, 2007 at 1:30 PM Post #14 of 52
I have UE5C's being made now, so it is clear where I would lean. The key in this is you . . . if you are the type that always wonders 'what if' then just get the UE10's. They almost always considered the reference IEM and the gold standard. If you are that type, the UE5c's could just blow your mind, but you will always lust. $300 now is cheaper than $900 later.

I am hoping the UE5c's are really the perfect IEM for me, and I have little doubt that will be the case. If I had the SF.5's for more than a year - a year where I never could keep a good seal for more than about 5 minutes. A year where they where never that comfy. I loved them and they were all I ever wanted out of an IEM as far as sound. The comfort and constant fiddling with them made me start to look at other options. I am not keen spending $500+ on these, but if they are comfortable, stay sealed, and provide SF.5 sound, then I am good. If the SF.5 were comfy and stayed in place, I would have never even found this site. The looks of them never bothered me.

I listen to an ipod as a source and probably always will. Once I get these in (and providing they fit well, work, etc) I will probably not be back to this site. Well, maybe every now and again just to see what is new.

It was easier for me once I decided on customs. $500+ for the UE5c is really a stretch for me, $900 just was not somethig I would consider. That said, I spend like a drunken sailor on many other hobbies, so I understand wanting the best and paying for it. Simply put, headphones are a very secondard hobby for me.

Mar 26, 2007 at 1:56 PM Post #15 of 52
I think my biggest concern is this whole analytical vs. fun thing. What I love about my Super.fis is their warm sound. I'm just concerned that the UE-10s will be cold. I'm not "monitoring" music- I'm listening to it for enjoyment. So that is where my doubt lies. I mean, if everyone says to go ahead and get the 10s then I will.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back