UE-5c vs Superfi 5Pro
Sep 23, 2005 at 6:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ripfrankwhite

100+ Head-Fier
Has anyone owned both? Can you describe the differences in sound. Not comfort. I have a problem with the comfort of my customs and was wondering if I will be really disappointed coming from them to the Superfis. I use an iPod. Average bitrate is 256. Mostly hip-hop, rock, motown, soul. I need something more comfortable for the gym. Thanks. I've read the UM2 is comfortable, but the superfi is a lot less money. Thanks.

Sep 23, 2005 at 7:03 PM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by ripfrankwhite
Has anyone owned both? Can you describe the differences in sound. Not comfort. I have a problem with the comfort of my customs and was wondering if I will be really disappointed coming from them to the Superfis. I use an iPod. Average bitrate is 256. Mostly hip-hop, rock, motown, soul. I need something more comfortable for the gym. Thanks. I've read the UM2 is comfortable, but the superfi is a lot less money. Thanks.

boy i feel sorry for you. Well by opinion is that the UM2 with a good amp are going to be close to the sound you had with your UE-5s. I am going to take a guess an say the UE pro.5s there isn't as much of a difference with them with an amp.

Either way there isn't a good solution. The difference between between the UE-10s and UM2s with amp is something. But UM2s without an amp and without an UE-10s is world apart.

So what is the deal with your custom fit. What is the problem. It is with both ears? Just one? I would be interested in hearing.

What I noticed about my 10s is when I am working out, not to take them out to talk to people. The process iof taking them out and in gets water in them and leads to sound distortion. so I try to seal them good before I start working out. Meaning I turn them all the way in and press them into my ears. Then I don't mess with them until I have to take them off. If I do take them out. I dry them off along with as much of the ear and canal as I can before I put them back in.

Maybe the HD 25s?

Sep 23, 2005 at 7:08 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisfromalbany
I am going to take a guess an say the UE pro.5s there isn't as much of a difference with them with an amp.

To my ears, and using an iPod w/CHA47 amp, there is a MAJOR improvement in the sound of the UE SuperFi5.Pro. The bass tightens up considerably, the upper mids are more transparent, and the high end is extended rather nicely.
biggrin.gif

Sep 23, 2005 at 7:26 PM Post #4 of 9
The price difference between the SF5P and the UM2 was only $70 so I went with the UM2. Couldn't say one is better than the other as I've never had the SF5P but I'm very happy with my purchase.

Sep 23, 2005 at 9:26 PM Post #5 of 9
I own the UE5c and the Super.fi Pro (since it was given to me by UE =D ) Well anyways, the UE5c sounds WAY better than the super.fi 5 pro. No diss to UE super.fi products, but their customs are in another league. The difference is night and day. The super.fi Pro is just musical, it's not detailed at all. I listens to Rap, hip-hop, r&b, trance, techno, and the UE5c is much better than the super.fi in every genre. I'm thinking of how the UE5c compare to the UE-10 Pro, if I have time, i'll head back to UE to give it a listen. Hopefully it'll sound similar because I would hate to spend $900 on headphones.

hmm.. I wonder if UE give discounts to old customers
icon10.gif

Sep 24, 2005 at 5:49 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by rx7_fan
Hopefully it'll sound similar because I would hate to spend $900 on headphones.

hmm.. I wonder if UE give discounts to old customers
icon10.gif

yep,I also hope so.I am thinking to get a UE5C if ue10pro is not that great than ue5c,900$ is a big number for me
frown.gif

Sep 26, 2005 at 8:38 PM Post #7 of 9
I recently got down to the UE offices to demo the super.fi pros, UE-5c and UE-10. Unfortunately the UE-10 demo sets were out with Mudvane (don't feel so bad.) Coming straight out of my 2G Ipod I noticed very little difference in sound between the super.fis and UE-5c. Actually, I slightly preferred the sound of the super-fis. Perhaps with a custom mold the UE-5c sounds a little better but I had a good seal. I can't see myself spending close to 3X for the UE-5c over the nearly identical sounding super.fis. So I'll probably be getting the super.fis...lets see if I can hold out until x-mas
biggrin.gif
BTW, I couldn't believe how much better the super.fis sounded compared to my E3's.

Sep 26, 2005 at 8:54 PM Post #8 of 9
Strange. I found the UE5c far superior to the superfi... Anyway... different ears, different tastes, different headphones...

Glad to see that they work so well for you, though
icon10.gif

Sep 27, 2005 at 2:12 AM Post #9 of 9
Went to get my moldings done today for the custom UE's. The audiologist informed me that the phones will fit for only 2 or so years. After that, they won't fit and isolate as well since your ear canals change over time.

Interesting, huh? Something you'll never read about on UE's website. Who wants to pay $900 for a pair of phones if you know you'll need to get them again in 2-3 years? Anyway, I thanked the Audiologist for telling me this. I'll probably still the custom UE's, but it's sobering knowing they'll only fit well for so long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back