UE-5c vs Super.Fi Pro
Dec 2, 2005 at 1:53 AM Post #31 of 39
Well after reading everything, I think I might go for the UE5c. I am hopefully getting a job in the next 2 weeks and then I will save up my money for it. I just think the UE10 doesn't make economical sense for me as a college student. I don't think I can go universal again. The lure of the almighty perfect fit is too tempting. I too have delt with sore earcanals and also unbalanced isolation many times. Maybe in a few years I will spring for the UE10 or some other next big IEM. But oh the UE10 sounds sooo tempting....well see how this job goes I guess.

Dec 2, 2005 at 5:35 PM Post #33 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icehawk
Why not get custom molded tips for the Super.fi? They only run ~$100 and would kinda split the difference between your options while keeping the price reasonable.

I have yet to really see someone that was ultra-satisfied with custom molds for universal units. I would get the best off the shelf model for you, or decide to live a life of danger and risk
biggrin.gif
and get a full custom model.

I think the UE5c's are in an OK price bracket. This commentary (I've seen it before) of "Get the UE10, it's only $400 more" really escapes me. $350 - $400 is a lot of money for most. You could get a new portable source, a killer portable amp, or a great set of full size cans with that.

Now that I think of it....for the money, I would rather have Shure E4's and RS-1's in my collection than just the UE10's. Canalphones are incredible, but I have not found them to be able to completely replace that big headphone sound.

UE5c's have been my compromise between those two options.

Maybe I would change my mind if I heard UE10's....it won't happen any time soon.

Dec 2, 2005 at 5:54 PM Post #34 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfen68
I have yet to really see someone that was ultra-satisfied with custom molds for universal units. I would get the best off the shelf model for you, or decide to live a life of danger and risk
biggrin.gif

I think the UE5c's are in an OK price bracket. This commentary (I've seen it before) of "Get the UE10, it's only $400 more" really escapes me. $350 - $400 is a lot of money for most. You could get a new portable source, a killer portable amp, or a great set of full size cans with that.

Now that I think of it....for the money, I would rather have Shure E4's and RS-1's in my collection than just the UE10's. Canalphones are incredible, but I have not found them to be able to completely replace that big headphone sound.

Maybe I would change my mind if I heard UE10's....it won't happen any time soon.

if I had only one headphone be the UE10s for sure. If I could get a RS-1 into an IEM, maybe, but maybe not. UE10s are far and favorite headphone. Bring on the next model (UE20)'s that are 2K. If there ever was one. I would be there. No doubt about it.

Dec 2, 2005 at 6:13 PM Post #35 of 39
Quote:

biggrin.gif

I see exactly what you are saying. I could pick up a AE-1 for that total price and the UE5c.

Does anyone have opinions on other customs. For example the Westone ES2 or ES3 or maybe even the sensas?

Dec 2, 2005 at 6:39 PM Post #36 of 39
Quote:

biggrin.gif

I can relate to your reasoning, but it sounds like those who bought the UE10 are crazy to spend $400 more. It is "a lot of money for most", definitely for me too, but I rather do things wholeheartedly and spend a bit more to make sure I get what I want. For me it meant to work and wait a few months more in order to be able to afford the UE10, considering the benefits it's a rather small burden. Remember, you usually can neither try nor sell your custom IEMs so you have to get "right" one on your first try. Maybe my previous post sounded a bit pessimistic, but sound- and comfortwise the UE10 are definitely worth it for me.

The question came up, whether the UE10 are really "so much better" than the universal IEMs. Well, what are you expecting? The common universal IEMs around here, like the ER-4, UM2, etc. are already damn good phones so you won't experience the same improvement as going from stock buds to your current IEM. I can't blame anyone if she/he thinks the improvement isn't worth the extra money you have to pay for UE5s or UE10s and the like.

Marcus

Dec 2, 2005 at 9:25 PM Post #37 of 39
solvexyz,

I sent an email yesterday to UE about the fitting issues. I received a reply today and I quote:

"If after several years your ears change enough the monitors will no longer seal or fit comfortably we can make fit adjustments for a nominal fee…seldom does it require purchasing new ear monitors."

I have to say I'm quite relived. Much easier on the wallet! UE-10's here I come!

Dec 2, 2005 at 10:06 PM Post #39 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Riku540
solvexyz,

I sent an email yesterday to UE about the fitting issues. I received a reply today and I quote:

"If after several years your ears change enough the monitors will no longer seal or fit comfortably we can make fit adjustments for a nominal fee…seldom does it require purchasing new ear monitors."

I have to say I'm quite relived. Much easier on the wallet! UE-10's here I come!

oh thanks letting us know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back