UE-5c vs Super.Fi Pro
Dec 1, 2005 at 10:06 AM Post #16 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by ScubaSteve87
Thanks you make great points, but the problem is the UE10 is the phone that lured me into Head-fi in the first place. I saw it in a magazine and now here I am . It has always been my holy grail. Thanks for your help though

Short answer: Well, go for it if you're accepting the possible risks.

Long answer:
Lee0539 has some points, especially with regard to getting the UE-10pro over the UE-5c. Prior to buying the UE-10pro I talked with Mike Diaz about the exact same problem, due to my music preferences and price. Needless to say I decided to go for the UE-10pro, as I listen to classical and jazz music and I truely loved the detail of my ER-4s. It's a matter of how you like your music, if you love details & clarity you should go for the UE-10, if you look for a more engaging sound, for fun phones, not _too_ critical about detail and clarity I would go for the super.fis or other universal IEMs. I believe in the latter case it's just not worth the extra bucks IMHO.

I went through Shure and Etymotic IEMs before getting the UEs, comfortwise it's a nobrainer, even though the UEs use hard acrylic vs. soft acrylic of the Sensas. Maybe the Sensas are even more comfortable, but if you could stand those universal IEMs in your ears you'll feel like heaven with custom ones.
Now there are some problems with those custom IEMs too, some were already mentioned by Lee0539:
- You can't test them before buying (though there are universal versions of the UEs for testing purposes, usually unavailable unless you're living close to Irvine *g*)
- they cost a fortune and might not be worth it (I'm a college student myself, I worked quite alot to afford them but it's worth it for me)
- you might encounter some problems with regard to the fit.

A non-perfect fit is not that problematic considering they grant you a 30-day-refit warranty, so you basically get refits for free excluding shipping costs to UE. I had 2 refits so far, mainly because I couldn't get a good seal. I have to admit I'm still not a 100% happy with them as of now, I have a way better fit than before but they're still not isolating enough.Note that a lacking isolation is not common, you're more likely to get a good enough fit and isolation on the first try (as long as you're able to get some good impressions done at your audiologist).

That leads to another problem: finding a good audiologist is crucial for your later satisfaction. If you go the custom route I suggest asking UE for a recommended audiologist in your area and do some own research, visit your local audiologists and talk to them. You'll immediatly get an impression on how competent they are once you told them what you need. UE offers a downloadable document containing instructions on how to properly take impressions - I suggest you print it out and take it with you when you're looking for a good audiologist. Be critical, be cautious and insist on following UEs instructions word by word (especially the "open mouth" part) - that way your chances of getting a good mold are pretty high.
My first impressions were not that good, imho, there were small bubbles and slight bents and it didn't include the complete concha (IMHO very important for a good fit, too). The second set of impressions at another audiologist wer e technically better (plain surface, whole concha).
After all, I learned it's a no-brainer to spend a bit more on a good audiologist. Considering the amount of money you're spending on your new toy you shouldn't save on your impressions - as I've said before those sometimes expensive little impressions are the key to a good custom IEM. Note that I don't mean that good impressions automatically cost more, just don't be deterred by higher prices. In my case even the expensive impressions were not that good, the impressions itself were very good but they didn't follow UEs instructions and made me believe they knew what they're talking about. Considering the extra shipping costs and the hassle of waiting for my refitted UE10s, I would be more cautious next time....

Nevertheless, the ultimate question is whether it's worth it to you or not. For me it still is worth the money I spent as I do love their sound and use them alot (on the go and at home).
The only part that still grieves me is the problematic isolation, I'm not sure if it's due to the excellent isolation of my prior ER-4P/S or due to my awkward ear canals.... I consider using my ER-4P/S on the go again, simply due to better isolation though they're not that good with regard to SQ (the UE10s have a better isolation for me than the ER-4s with tri-flange tips but are way below the foamies). I still think the UE-10s are worth it for me. If I can resolve this problem I would recommend them without a doubt, as of now though, I would say go for it if you're accepting the possible risks. As I've said it's unlikely that it'll happen to you but be prepared.

EDIT: I forgot one important personal point: More and more I come to the conclusion that listening to music is just like a good coffee. With all those Starbucks & Co you're able to drink your coffee on the go, it's nice, it's tasty. But I only really enjoy a good cup of coffee when I'm sitting at home, without ruffle. The same applies to music, I like my music on the go - it's great and it's distracting from the daily commuting but I made the experience that I don't listen as carefully and enjoying as in a quiet spot at home.
As I do like using IEMs at home too it's still worth it for me, but if you can identify with my observation and you're enjoying full size phones more than IEMs you should consider buying a universal IEM for your on-the-go needs and get the DT880 for your home satisfaction.

Good luck,
Marcus

Dec 1, 2005 at 3:06 PM Post #17 of 39
You're all saying if you want to listen critically, then go for the UE-10.
UE-5c have more detail than any other IEM from what I've heard, so even for critical listening it would be better than anything else, right?

I'm also interested by the UE-5c, but there's already a $550 risk ending up with a pair of earphones I don't like, and I'm not really sure I'm ready to take a higher risk right now, nor do I have the fund to do it :/
Problem is I really want to replace my Etys by something with bass, and custom fitted.
If only they offered a discount for student :]

Dec 1, 2005 at 4:21 PM Post #18 of 39
iv got a pair of shure e5c, first week was torture, now i love em. GO with the e5c, get a discount to, cant really go too wrong. If you dont like them you can return them!

Dec 1, 2005 at 6:04 PM Post #19 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by w1ned
Of course! Many have gone from universal fits to customs...

....and it was an incredible switch
biggrin.gif

Dec 1, 2005 at 7:35 PM Post #20 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by ScubaSteve87
I guess I should have given more detail.... Who has gone from universal to custom fit, specifically Ultimate Ears. What were the sound differences? Do you feel the huge price jump was worth it? How is the comfort on the UE5c compared to SuperFi's or other universal IEM, is it really that oustanding. How is the isolation. I understand that the SuperFi's don't get as much as the E4c's. Do the custom molds give more or less than the E4cs?

1) The sound differences is not dramatically a big leap for me when I first listened.
Comparedd to Shure e4c, UE10 Pro has stronger bass, and the whole sound stage is a lot bigger. These are two things are immediately noticeable. Other than the details, to be honest, you have to listen more carefully and you will notice maybe few more notes jumped at you. However, these differences are no where near say an iPod earbud to a Shure e4c. Thus, the huge price jump really depends on how you look at it. If you are expecting the kinda jump between iPod earbud to shure e4c, that is definitely way over priced. However, if you are thinking about improvements on an already excellent earphone - shure e4c, and making several improvements on it, it is definitely worth it.

2) The comfort of the custom IEM like UE5c really depends on how the audiologist made the impression. For me, my audiologiest did a 95% wide open jaw impression, and it is really tight I basically can not break the seal if I properly put it on. However, I still find the foam on shure e4c to be much more comfortable. I can not close my mouth 100% when I am wearing UE10 Pro, and I feel the pressure if I do that. However, I did not go for another refit (already did one refit) because I would rather get a tight seal and a loose seal.

3) Just like MarcusH indicated, UE10 Pro did not gives me as much isoloation as a Shure e4c with tri-flange. I get the best isolation with tri-flange instead of foam by the way. The UE10 Pro is a bit better than the shure e4c with foam, but still not like the tri-flange when the music is playing even my mom shouted at me, and I can not hear it.

4) However, I do want to note that getting UE10 Pro also helps me getting better seals with my universal IEM. Better seals mean balanced and more isoloation. Before I am struggling with one ear getting more isolated than the other, and therefore, makes music listening a pain when there are very loud environment noise. I will hear those on one ear, but not the other. After I got UE10 Pro, I figure out what the balanced seals are like, and the feeling helps me to figure out how to wear those universal IEM better. Now, I can get really good balanced seals with Shure e4c and Westone UM2. I do feel if I am able to obtain these level of seal with my universal IEM, I probably will not want to get an custom IEM. I was really shocked that I am able to obtain this kinda seals with my universal IEM when I figure out how.

5) By now you must noticed that I sold my Shure e4c, the reason is because Shure e4c has a very bad synergy with iPod, and comparing to a UE10 pro, the bass is really a big difference out of iPod and so is the tiny soundstage. I am keeping the Westone UM2 because with treble boost, Westone UM2 gives me closer performance to a UE10 Pro out of an iPod in terms of bass and soundstage, and the lose of detail is not noticeable when listening on the noisy street. However, I still use my UE10 Pro 90% of the time when I am out.

hope this long post helps you deciding.

Dec 1, 2005 at 8:35 PM Post #21 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by solvexyz
1) The sound differences is not dramatically a big leap for me when I first listened.

I'd second this. Comming from the super.fi's, my very first impression with the UE-10s was: "Wow, now that good are these super.fi's!" While the UE-10s are better in every respect, IMO the difference doesn't deserve in no way such superlatives like "...will blow you away!" or "...will knock you off the shoes!"

Dec 1, 2005 at 9:54 PM Post #22 of 39
so the differences between a UE-5c and 10pro might not be so dramatical as everyone says.
and about the E5, based on what I read, I won't like them. I really like the Etys, their details/treble, just would like the "same thing" but with bass.

Dec 1, 2005 at 10:28 PM Post #23 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by deathsharp
so the differences between a UE-5c and 10pro might not be so dramatical as everyone says.
and about the E5, based on what I read, I won't like them. I really like the Etys, their details/treble, just would like the "same thing" but with bass.

The only universal IEM right now that is closest to what you want - detail/treble with bass is Shure E4C. The new Altec Lancing iM716 might be what you are also looking for, too. It is a rebrand of ER4s but with bass boost. I have not heard of it, but you can try.

Otherwise, you will need to pay the big money and going for Custom IEM.

Dec 1, 2005 at 10:38 PM Post #24 of 39
Sorry to go off topic a tad but the discussion a little further back about the age and ear canal growth caught my attention. I am also an 18 year old college freshman who shares the same “dream” ScubaSteve. I won’t be able to afford the UE-10’s for quite some time but I was wondering about UE’s refitting policy. Do they offer unlimited refits throughout the lifetime of the product, or is it only while it’s under warranty, or something else? I don’t want to spend nearly a grand on something that will not fit me later on. Should I be covered or would I have to put them off until my later adulthood? Has anyone 18+ ever had or heard of issues of outgrowing their custom IEM’s?

Dec 1, 2005 at 10:48 PM Post #25 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Riku540
Sorry to go off topic a tad but the discussion a little further back about the age and ear canal growth caught my attention. I am also an 18 year old college freshman who shares the same “dream” ScubaSteve. I won’t be able to afford the UE-10’s for quite some time but I was wondering about UE’s refitting policy. Do they offer unlimited refits throughout the lifetime of the product, or is it only while it’s under warranty, or something else? I don’t want to spend nearly a grand on something that will not fit me later on. Should I be covered or would I have to put them off until my later adulthood? Has anyone 18+ ever had or heard of issues of outgrowing their custom IEM’s?

Only 30 days for the refit, and the warrantee will run for 1 year which covers only the parts. The custom IEM basically will fit for 4 ~ 5 years. Your ear canal gets changed a bit when your gain or lose weight. That might make your custom IEM unable to fit properly. Those custom IEMs are originally created for those professional singers, and they are basically replacing the IEM basically every year. I know some rock stars have like 2 pairs of sensaphonics, and if one is not working, they just use the other.

Dec 1, 2005 at 10:50 PM Post #26 of 39
Quote:

The only universal IEM right now that is closest to what you want - detail/treble with bass is Shure E4C. The new Altec Lancing iM716 might be what you are also looking for, too. It is a rebrand of ER4s but with bass boost. I have not heard of it, but you can try.

Otherwise, you will need to pay the big money and going for Custom IEM.

well, that's why I want to take the UE-5c, but since everyone is saying "get the UE-10 instead", I don't know what to do.

Dec 1, 2005 at 11:02 PM Post #27 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by deathsharp
well, that's why I want to take the UE-5c, but since everyone is saying "get the UE-10 instead", I don't know what to do.

You can go with UE5c, but we are just saying there is improvements on the UE10 Pro over the UE5c. Think about this, you have already spend $550 on UE5c, why don't you just squeeze another $350 and get a UE10 Pro. Remember those $550 once you spend, it can never be reclaimed. Therefore, we just suggest you go all the way if you have never heard of both. If you do have a chance to demo UE5c or UE10 Pro, you might like UE5c over UE10 Pro, and you are safe to go for UE5c. However, if you do not, it is just safer for you to go with UE10 Pro. I know some people can not stand UE5c because the bass is too strong and a bit uncontrolled. Remember UE5c cost $550, but can not quite compete with say Senn HD650 or Grado RS1. However, UE10 Pro can compete with those big headphones, and in certain ways out perform it.

Note.
UE10 Pro $900 but does not require an amp to reach its peack performance.
UE10 Pro level of performance may require a say AKG1000 paired with a really nice amplifier, and the final price is really close the cost of a UE10 Pro or more.

UE5c $550 even with amp, it will not reach the kinda performance that allow you to compete with say a AKG1000 paired with a really nice amplifier.

In other words, the price/performance ratio of UE5c is poor compared to UE10 Pro.

This is just my 2 cents

Dec 1, 2005 at 11:04 PM Post #28 of 39
Quote:

The custom IEM basically will fit for 4 ~ 5 years.

Ouch. Is this a fact? This is the first and only time I've heard this. I can understand weight fluctuation can change your physical anatomy, but will it really make such a difference that the IEM's are unusable? I mean, think of a pair of jeans. Once you've reached the age where your growing is pretty much done they should typically fit you. There are times when you gain weight and they may feel a little tight, but can still be worn without much of a difference. Although clothes don't last as long as high end electronics should ^_^;.

Dec 1, 2005 at 11:08 PM Post #29 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Riku540
Ouch. Is this a fact? This is the first and only time I've heard this. I can understand weight fluctuation can change your physical anatomy, but will it really make such a difference that the IEM's are unusable? I mean, think of a pair of jeans. Once you've reached the age where your growing is pretty much done they should typically fit you. There are times when you gain weight and they may feel a little tight, but can still be worn without much of a difference. Although clothes don't last as long as high end electronics should ^_^;.

I heard that from the audiologist. Well, no one on this forum has owned any custom IEM over the last 4 ~ 5 years, so no one to back it up too. I just sharing what I know.

For me, I just say heck with it. In 5 years, I will be owning probably another pair of custom IEM.

PS. I think the audiologist is based on how long a person who is using a hearing aid to change it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back