UE-5c vs Super.Fi Pro
Nov 28, 2005 at 8:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

ScubaSteve87

1000+ Head-Fier
My dad stole my E4c's and so now my mom is giving me 180 bucks and my Dad gets them as a "Christmas Present". So now I am in the market for some new IEM's possibly. Originally I was thinking of getting the Super.Fi Pro and then using the money from my Gilmore Lite to get the DT880, but now I am rethinking. Should I just go for the gold and get the UE5c? Anyone want to enlighten me on how these two Ultimate Ear's models sound. Or maybe I shoud save my custom molded ambissions for another day (namely UE10 in about a year after I have saved up all that money)

Nov 28, 2005 at 8:30 PM Post #2 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by ScubaSteve87
My dad stole my E4c's and so now my mom is giving me 180 bucks and my Dad gets them as a "Christmas Present". So now I am in the market for some new IEM's possibly. Originally I was thinking of getting the Super.Fi Pro and then using the money from my Gilmore Lite to get the DT880, but now I am rethinking. Should I just go for the gold and get the UE5c? Anyone want to enlighten me on how these two Ultimate Ear's models sound. Or maybe I shoud save my custom molded ambissions for another day (namely UE10 in about a year after I have saved up all that money)

go for the UE10 to end your upgraditis. that is if your parents let you. Otherwise it depends on what you want more in comparison to the e4. You might end up having to get another e4 or er4

Nov 28, 2005 at 8:40 PM Post #3 of 39
Quote:

I think it depends if you are going to use them just for portable use or are you going to be doing critical listening. If you are only going to be for portable use and want the extra bass, I would say go for the UE5s.

If you wanted to add them to your headphone critical listening group, I would get the UE10s.

Nov 28, 2005 at 9:01 PM Post #4 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by lee0539
go for the UE10 to end your upgraditis. that is if your parents let you. Otherwise it depends on what you want more in comparison to the e4. You might end up having to get another e4 or er4

I don't want to be the killjoy, but think about whether you really want those UE-10s. They're very expensive and you can't sell them if you don't like them.
Nevertheless they're great phones, I love mine - just don't fall prey to the upgraditis hype and be disappointed afterwards, rather think about whether you're really into IEMs that much. You can get full size phones for less, and if you listen more at home than on the go you might want to reconsider your "dream". Actually, personally I'm using the UE-10s at home, too. Though if I wouldn't spent most of my listening time on the go I would have probably went the full size route.

Also consider the direct competitors of the UE-10s - in that price category every bit of information is worthwile and all options should be taken into consideration.

Good luck,
Marcus

Nov 28, 2005 at 10:21 PM Post #6 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by w1ned
Do the size of ear canals change? At age 16, will your ear canals have the same size as you will have at age 20, or say 30?

Very likely, as male can grow heights between age 16 ~ 18 or even early 20s. Not only that, even if you get it say at age of 24, you still should expect that your ear canals will change due to some weight loss or gain. I know there was some post a while back indicated a lifespan of an custom molded IEM is like 3 ~ 4 years.

Also, UE10 Pro is really good, but not 2x or 3x better than say a shure e4c. Unless you are paying very critical attention, a lot of additional details or refinement is easily missed if you are just listening for fun. I seriously only noticed the bass is tighter when I first got UE10 Pro. Therefore, unless money is really easy for you get at age say 16, I would suggest you stick with your universal IEMs. Consider you can get a used e4c or super.fi around 150 or even less. And a UE10 Pro is like 7 ~ 8x more including audiologist fee and shipping and possible refitting.

Nov 28, 2005 at 10:51 PM Post #7 of 39
get the superfi5pro i change my advice after finding out your age. Custom isn't worth it at that age due to changes in ear size due to growth. Especially if its only for fun and not critical listening.

S5P is fun to listen to if you want more bass then e4. Not sure what you listen to, but if its close to what other teen listen to then UE5 isn't even worth the extra money. But not saying you listen to those types of music.. you just haven't specified.

Once your 21 or so and you have enough money to spare UE10 and UE5 would more fitting since you dont grow as much.

Nov 28, 2005 at 11:17 PM Post #8 of 39
Haha why does everyone think I am 16? I am 18, freshman in college. I guess I should have also explained my current phone situation and previous phones in the past. I will be using these for plane flight and all the walking I do around campus. I currently use the HF-1 for all my home listening. I also already had the ER4 and I liked it, but I liked the E4c better.

Nov 28, 2005 at 11:25 PM Post #9 of 39
Quote:

Haha why does everyone think I am 16? I am 18, freshman in college. I guess I should have also explained my current phone situation and previous phones in the past. I will be using these for plane flight and all the walking I do around campus. I currently use the HF-1 for all my home listening. I also already had the ER4 and I liked it, but I liked the E4c better.

oh... solve confused me...

for walking around bass makes music more enjoyable which the superfi5pro have. I say go with the superfi5pro, but it wont have as much isolation as the e4.

its better for walking (less microphonics)
its worse for plane (less isolation)

from what i hear... it has lower treble and a lot more bass. If thats the move you want to make... superfi5pro will provide a lot of joy.

Dec 1, 2005 at 1:06 AM Post #10 of 39
another question. Is the custom mold really all that great?!?!?!

Has anyone gone from standard IEMS to ultimate ears?

Dec 1, 2005 at 1:11 AM Post #11 of 39
Quote:

another question. Is the custom mold really all that great?!?!?!

Has anyone gone from standard IEMS to ultimate ears?

Of course! Many have gone from universal fits to customs...

Dec 1, 2005 at 1:18 AM Post #12 of 39
I have the Superfi 5pros and wish I had the cash to get the 5cs just to have a custom earmold done. The Ultimate Ears are fantastic to use with my iPod without an amp but the Superfi 5's are not really going into your ear canal that much. They sound great but when I'm on the subway I have to run my music louder to drown out the obnoxious loud talking than I had to with my Etys. But they are definitely a great buy for the iPod without an amp.

Dec 1, 2005 at 4:25 AM Post #13 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by w1ned
Of course! Many have gone from universal fits to customs...

I guess I should have given more detail.... Who has gone from universal to custom fit, specifically Ultimate Ears. What were the sound differences? Do you feel the huge price jump was worth it? How is the comfort on the UE5c compared to SuperFi's or other universal IEM, is it really that oustanding. How is the isolation. I understand that the SuperFi's don't get as much as the E4c's. Do the custom molds give more or less than the E4cs?

Dec 1, 2005 at 6:11 AM Post #14 of 39
Quote:

I guess I should have given more detail.... Who has gone from universal to custom fit, specifically Ultimate Ears. What were the sound differences? Do you feel the huge price jump was worth it? How is the comfort on the UE5c compared to SuperFi's or other universal IEM, is it really that oustanding. How is the isolation. I understand that the SuperFi's don't get as much as the E4c's. Do the custom molds give more or less than the E4cs?

Thats an odd question. First of all the price difference is more then double. Some say its worth it others say its not... probably depends on how much money you have to spend and if you really do listen to them critically. If you have the money I would suggest the UE10 over the UE5 considering how much more detailed UE10 is with plenty of bass, but then again its all risky since you can't really audition them since tehy are customs... and no returns availabe. So rather get the best so you dont feel as disappointed if you dont think its detailed enough... then your kinda screwed and getting UE10 would put a huge hole in your wallet. Thats why i say get the better one if you are spending over 500 dollars on the IEM + custom mold (hassle and cost)

You do not want to put custom molds on superfi and probably no able to. It would stick out too much if there was one and its damn expensive to get one. You just have to make a decision on how you want to spend your money, you can't ask people who have UE5 if they spend their money right... they'll say they did becuase that's the choice they made to spend that kind of money in the first place.

its just that from your original post it seems more like its a casual IEM that you use to walk around campus with along with in a library or maybe in some loud noise situations where you need isolation. I dont think casual listening warrants such expensive measures, but its your choice... its just IMHO superfi5pro would do just fine and is more comfortable then e4... or use the foam tips and you get a bit more isolation.

Dec 1, 2005 at 6:50 AM Post #15 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by lee0539
Thats an odd question. First of all the price difference is more then double. Some say its worth it others say its not... probably depends on how much money you have to spend and if you really do listen to them critically. If you have the money I would suggest the UE10 over the UE5 considering how much more detailed UE10 is with plenty of bass, but then again its all risky since you can't really audition them since tehy are customs... and no returns availabe. So rather get the best so you dont feel as disappointed if you dont think its detailed enough... then your kinda screwed and getting UE10 would put a huge hole in your wallet. Thats why i say get the better one if you are spending over 500 dollars on the IEM + custom mold (hassle and cost)

You do not want to put custom molds on superfi and probably no able to. It would stick out too much if there was one and its damn expensive to get one. You just have to make a decision on how you want to spend your money, you can't ask people who have UE5 if they spend their money right... they'll say they did becuase that's the choice they made to spend that kind of money in the first place.

its just that from your original post it seems more like its a casual IEM that you use to walk around campus with along with in a library or maybe in some loud noise situations where you need isolation. I dont think casual listening warrants such expensive measures, but its your choice... its just IMHO superfi5pro would do just fine and is more comfortable then e4... or use the foam tips and you get a bit more isolation.

Thanks you make great points, but the problem is the UE10 is the phone that lured me into Head-fi in the first place. I saw it in a magazine and now here I am . It has always been my holy grail. Thanks for your help though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back