UE-5c refit
Jun 30, 2005 at 12:24 AM Post #3 of 15
Wow -- I think you should call Jerry Harvey directly and talk to him about the fit. Are you sure they actually "come loose" vs shift slightly when you smile?
If they shift but the seal is intact, that's ok.

I'm confident they could make things right for you if you're willing to keep trying -- but you may have already exhausted your patience for this custom process. Or maybe you should try a different audiologist?

And anyway, do you like them when you have a straight face? Maybe it's worth keeping them, knowing that they may shift once in a while.

I must say I don't pay that much attention to mine -- once they're in, they're in. If they shift I don't notice it, or don't care to!

Jun 30, 2005 at 3:59 AM Post #4 of 15
They said that they'd give me a full refund. They suggested that I try to use dental wax and add a little here and there to try to find a good fit. I did that and just made a big mess. There is nothing that I can do. I've been to two different audiologists for impressions (50$ each). This new pair is worse than the first. They sound incredible when I can get a seal. I tried to listen to some Shure E3s and they sounded horrible in comparison, but at least they fit snugly. I'm so disappointed. I'm gonna send them back and maybe buy some Westone UM2.

Jun 30, 2005 at 2:52 PM Post #8 of 15
If your budget will allow, I recommend the Westone ES3. The Westone ES2 is also supposed to be nice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ripfrankwhite
Anyone think the UM2 will be an adequate replacement for the UE-5c?

Jun 30, 2005 at 5:03 PM Post #9 of 15
Rip -- I am glad (but not surprised) that UE will give you a full refund.

That said, I'm wondering if you've tried using them for a day or two in your normal activities, such as at the gym, etc. This way you'll know for sure whether your fit issues are significant enough to cause a problem in actual use. (For example, I don't think I ever smile while I'm working out! Certainly not while running!)

Since you already have them, it seems worth a try...

Jun 30, 2005 at 5:18 PM Post #10 of 15
Well my UE-10 are scheduled for delivery today. Stories like this, i am scaried to try them on.

Jun 30, 2005 at 6:07 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by random person
Rip -- I am glad (but not surprised) that UE will give you a full refund.

That said, I'm wondering if you've tried using them for a day or two in your normal activities, such as at the gym, etc. This way you'll know for sure whether your fit issues are significant enough to cause a problem in actual use. (For example, I don't think I ever smile while I'm working out! Certainly not while running!)

Since you already have them, it seems worth a try...

I am glad too. Yes I have used them for a at the gym and at work. I've also used them at home. They don't fit.

But now I think I fixed it. I used the dental wax one more time and made the stems very thick and now they work. They fit snugly now. Almost perfectly.

Jun 30, 2005 at 6:16 PM Post #12 of 15
So what are you supposed to do now? Do you send them back with the dental wax still on the molds so they can be redone or do you just use them with dental wax on them?

How well does dental wax stay on. Is there a chance it could come off in your ear canal?

Jul 1, 2005 at 1:58 AM Post #14 of 15
I wouldn't give up on custom IEMs just yet. Like you said yourself, the sound is amazing. It seems, though, that the UEs just aren't working for you. You may just have weird ear/canal shapes. In this case, it might be worth your while to get the refund yourself and try Sensaphonics instead. Reason being, Sensas are fit and distributed by the audiologist, so they may be able to better assess any fit problems when you get the product and communicate with Sensa on how to make a pair that will fit you. If you have the cash, it's worth a shot.

Jul 1, 2005 at 1:29 PM Post #15 of 15
Yes! Now they can just paint extra acryllic on those stems to match the dental wax that you've put on and the fit will be perfect.

It will have been worth it, in the end, dontcha think?

I'm glad you seem to be on track to solve your issues!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back