Ue-5c need an amp from iPod?
Jun 7, 2005 at 12:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ripfrankwhite

100+ Head-Fier
I'm waiting on my UE-5cs to get here and like the idea of a portable amp. Would the UE-5c benefit from an amp or would the iPod do just fine? I seem to just wanna buy some toys. Damn you Head-Fi!!
icon10.gif

I've read all the reviews I could find on the UE-5c. (lots of em) They don't seem to mention much on an amp.

Jun 7, 2005 at 12:29 AM Post #2 of 6
I have UE5cs along with an ipod. I used this combination for along time until just recently. I bought a portaphile v2 from Cesar. I think by adding an amp, it really makes the UE5cs shine even more; more controlled bass, better clarity, more detail, basically a more accurate presentation of what the UE5cs can do.

Hope that helps.

Jun 7, 2005 at 12:45 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by downingp
I have UE5cs along with an ipod. I used this combination for along time until just recently. I bought a portaphile v2 from Cesar. I think by adding an amp, it really makes the UE5cs shine even more; more controlled bass, better clarity, more detail, basically a more accurate presentation of what the UE5cs can do.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the response! Now I get to buy an amp!

Jun 7, 2005 at 3:32 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by downingp

Hope that helps.

i've had UE-10s for a couple months, and just got a Supermacro V3. i echo the sentiments of downingp. the UEs sound good straight from the ipod, and potentially the 5s may work even better than the 10s due to their, at least marketed, increased bass response. but the amp just brings them to another level. the bass deepens and tightens quite noticeably, and everything is just better defined. as long as the added bulk isn't a problem for you, i'd definately recommend an amp.

cheers,
phil

Jun 7, 2005 at 3:38 AM Post #6 of 6
Not to dissent, but my experience is that the 5s are less amp dependent than most traditional headphones. If you want an amp, by all means get one. However, I noticed less of a change than with, e.g., my PX100s or AKG K24Ps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back