UE-5c arrived
Jun 10, 2005 at 4:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

ripfrankwhite

100+ Head-Fier
I got my UE-5cs today and they sound good, but they won't stay in. If I smile the seal breaks and they suck. I can open my mouth without any trouble with the seal. If I smile at all or move any muscles in my face they practically fall out. They have to go back I guess. Damn. Very disappointed. I should've just got the Shure E4s.

Jun 10, 2005 at 4:44 PM Post #3 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by ripfrankwhite
I got my UE-5cs today and they sound good, but they won't stay in. If I smile the seal breaks and they suck.

When you have them in, just think of how much money this place has sucked out of your wallet, and you won't be smilin'...........problem solved!
biggrin.gif

Sorry, couldn't resist. I've heard UE is very accomodating, so, even though it may take some time, I'm sure you'll get it straightened out. Good luck.

Jun 10, 2005 at 4:59 PM Post #4 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by joelongwood
When you have them in, just think of how much money this place has sucked out of your wallet, and you won't be smilin'...........problem solved!
biggrin.gif

Sorry, couldn't resist. I've heard UE is very accomodating, so, even though it may take some time, I'm sure you'll get it straightened out. Good luck.

LOL! That should keep me from smiling, alright. But any facial movement breaks the seal.

Jun 10, 2005 at 7:58 PM Post #5 of 27
Sounds like you definitely need a refit -- perhaps even a new impression taken with a different audiologist. Practically falling out -- yikes! Mine are so snug that if I forget and just yank on them to remove them (without breaking the seal first) my inner organs are removed along with them!

You should call them today to discuss your issues and get them redone! You are in good company as many people have needed refits for custom IEMs.

Were your impressions made with your mouth wide open the whole time? Mine were and the results were perfect first time.

Anyway it is worth the time and effort to get it right -- because when it is right the comfort is outstanding. And of course the sound -- well it's fantastic!

Good luck with your refit!

Jun 10, 2005 at 11:58 PM Post #6 of 27
Hang in there. A lot of us have had refits/remolds done. I think it is just something you have to deal with custom IEM's. I can assure you though UE's customer service is very accomadating and will work with you till you're satisfied. Good luck...

Jun 11, 2005 at 12:01 AM Post #7 of 27
Quote:

I got my UE-5cs today and they sound good, but they won't stay in. If I smile the seal breaks and they suck. I can open my mouth without any trouble with the seal. If I smile at all or move any muscles in my face they practically fall out. They have to go back I guess. Damn. Very disappointed. I should've just got the Shure E4s.

listen to marylan manson, and you won't be smiling.

Jun 11, 2005 at 1:16 AM Post #8 of 27
Quote:

LOL! That should keep me from smiling, alright. But any facial movement breaks the seal.

I am guessing you just broke your seal with that "LOL"
eek.gif
biggrin.gif

Jun 11, 2005 at 5:52 AM Post #10 of 27
My mouth was open wide but there is a big difference in an open mouth and an extremely open mouth. I pretty much just dropped my jaw and put a block in my mouth. So it was open wide. But my teeth weren't exposed. I can drop my jaw as far as it will go, but if I do that and expose my teeth(smile) while doing it, there is a big difference. My ears flex and change shape. Is that what I should have done? From my understanding the open mouth is only to open the ear canal.

Jun 11, 2005 at 6:34 PM Post #12 of 27
I listened to these all night last night and realized that I don't get a good seal even sitting still with a straight face. If I push them in really hard I'll get a seal for a few seconds and then it kinda comes loose without completely breaking. But my Shure E3s seal was perfect with the foamies.

Jun 11, 2005 at 6:45 PM Post #13 of 27
As someone who has had a ridiculous amount of refits associated with custom, IEMs, I highly recommend that you get a new set of molds made. Check out the pics in the UE tour meet impressions page. There is a picture in there of how much molding material UE uses when making molds. I told my audiologist the last time I had a set of molds made to use as much molding material as possible. Use twice as much in each ear if needed. Get a full impression, filling up your canals all the way and make sure it covers your entire outer ear as shown in the UE Tour feedback thread.

Don't mess around with a refit based on this set of molds if you are that far off. Just start over with a new set of molds. Trust me, it will save you a lot of time and frustration.

Jun 12, 2005 at 5:18 AM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by digihead
As someone who has had a ridiculous amount of refits associated with custom, IEMs, I highly recommend that you get a new set of molds made. Check out the pics in the UE tour meet impressions page. There is a picture in there of how much molding material UE uses when making molds. I told my audiologist the last time I had a set of molds made to use as much molding material as possible. Use twice as much in each ear if needed. Get a full impression, filling up your canals all the way and make sure it covers your entire outer ear as shown in the UE Tour feedback thread.

Don't mess around with a refit based on this set of molds if you are that far off. Just start over with a new set of molds. Trust me, it will save you a lot of time and frustration.

That is exactly how I had my impressions made. I even used the same styrofoam bite block. They fit fine with a straight face. The molds are fine. It's when I make any kind of facial movement (smile, raise eyebrows, wiggle ears (not with hands, but by flexing my face) that they come very loose. As a matter of fact, I never get that suction feeling like I've read about or that I feel when using the E3s with the small flex tip. When I put those in and just tug slightly it feels like I'm gonna pull my brain out. Air tight seal that remains no matter what I do. And their isolation is superb. That's what I expected with the UEs.

So even if I get them redone and they fit perfectly, what's gonna keep the seal when I smile or wince or flex my face (because I make crazy faces while working out)?

Jun 12, 2005 at 5:11 PM Post #15 of 27
I'd call UE to discuss your fit problem. With mine, there is no break of seal regardless of facial contortions (I, too, make strange faces while working out, which is what I primarily use the UE5cs for.) And there is a definite positive seal -- not quite as tight as foamies, let's say, but much tighter than with trad tips.

One thing you might want to discuss with UE is to have them paint more acrylic onto your existing phones. This has the effect of tightening the seal while keeping the same basic shape. On the other hand there might still have been a problem with your molds to begin with -- perhaps the length of time left for them to "cure" in your ears; the material used; the depth of insertion; and so on.

You should rest assured, however, that once you get the fit right it is very snug and tight-sealing, regardless of facial expressions! So there is defnitely something wrong with yours now, and it is well-worth fixing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back