UE 200vi does not sound correctly with cowon i9
Jul 30, 2014 at 9:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Alpina

Head-Fier
Hi guys :) I just received my new Ultimate Ears 200vi headphones, which have 3 button remote controller. Now it works well on my laptop, and on my HTC phone, but on my Cowon i9 you can barely hear voices and music is very low quality. If I press and hold middle button (pause/play) on remote controller, music becomes good as it is supposed to be, if I release, it's again bad.

What can be the reason? My cowon i9 works perfectly with all other headphones I have, so not sure where can be the problem.. 

Jul 31, 2014 at 5:56 PM Post #3 of 9
You need an adapter cable of some sort for the Cowon to work right. The plug doesn't line up right as the Cowon is not designed for mic  plugs that have three rings vs. two on them.

Jul 31, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #4 of 9
  You need an adapter cable of some sort for the Cowon to work right. The plug doesn't line up right as the Cowon is not designed for mic  plugs that have three rings vs. two on them.

Can you show the an example of what kind of adapter I need? Kind of strange tbh.. How am I supposed to know that simple headphones are not going to work with my player.. Makes little sense.

Jul 31, 2014 at 6:41 PM Post #5 of 9
If you have a simple earphone extension cable it should work fine. I have two players that either don't work right or have a speaker that won't shut off with mic equipped unless I use an extension.

If the phones work correct if you pull it out slightly from the Cowon socket you may be able to get away with a small O ring as a spacer :)

Jul 31, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #6 of 9
  If you have a simple earphone extension cable it should work fine. I have two players that either don't work right or have a speaker that won't shut off with mic equipped unless I use an extension.

If the phones work correct if you pull it out slightly from the Cowon socket you may be able to get away with a small O ring as a spacer :)

You are completely right! I pulled them out little bit and it works just fine :) So I guess I will use it this way, it's cheap earphones anyways. Just wondering, isn't there any damage or other drawbacks (apart from inconvenience) to player with using not fully inserted jack?

Nov 9, 2014 at 12:34 PM Post #7 of 9

Do you know what kind of extension cable/adapter I need? I tried one extension cable, but it does not make any difference, so apparently not any extension cable works.

Nov 9, 2014 at 2:06 PM Post #8 of 9
http://www.scansound.com/index.php/4-conductor-trrs-to-3-conductor-trs-3-5mm-adapter.html
Of course shop around but that should be what you need, male TRS and the female TRRS.

Nov 9, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #9 of 9
  http://www.scansound.com/index.php/4-conductor-trrs-to-3-conductor-trs-3-5mm-adapter.html
Of course shop around but that should be what you need, male TRS and the female TRRS.

Thanks mate, but it's too expensive, considering that's pretty much the price of the UE-200vi... I am so disappointed with this purchase, literally one of the most uncomfortable headphones, which also do not work without adapter :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back