UE-11: Recabling and bent pins
Dec 26, 2009 at 8:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ZarakiSan

100+ Head-Fier
So, I've owned a pair of UE-11's for about one-and-a-half years now. I'm still very much happy with them, but I've a problem:

The earphones are of course molded, but on the left ear, the mold didn't work out perfectly on the side of the connector. The pins that insert into the earphones need to be at a slight angle in order for the plastic connector to slip into its slot on the earphones, so it gets some grip (making sure the earphones don't fall off) and making contact.

But my original cable, which has bent pins so this actually works, has gone bad, and now I'm unsure of how to get a cable to fit well again, since bending pins (on another cable) at the approximate angle doesn't really seem to work, it doesn't hold the earphone to the cable very well, making the left earphone fall off sometimes.

I want to, also, order custom cables. who makes them anyway? I want a shorter one specifically, but I don't know anyone who wants to sell me UE-11 cables. And even if I can find somebody, I don't know how to bend the pins appropiately.

Dec 26, 2009 at 8:22 PM Post #3 of 4
Well as long as when you insert the cable, both pins are making contact and it sounds fine. If were me, I would put a very small piece/pcs of tape on the end of the connector on the side so it will act as a shim between the cable and connector. You can make it neat and out of sight. Or if you good with a hot glue gun (like me), you could place a very small drop in the right spot needed to act as a shim. The hot glue I use is not permanent and can be picked off with a fingernail.
Do you think something like that can work?

Dec 26, 2009 at 8:26 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Modifiedz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well as long as when you insert the cable, both pins are making contact and it sounds fine. If were me, I would put a very small piece/pcs of tape on the end of the connector on the side so it will act as a shim between the cable and connector. You can make it neat and out of sight. Or if you good with a hot glue gun (like me), you could place a very small drop in the right spot needed to act as a shim. The hot glue I use is not permanent and can be picked off with a fingernail.
Do you think something like that can work?

Maybe. The issue is that I want a good, short cable first, before I experiment with that kind of thing. Do you know anyone who can sell custom UE-11 cables?

@intoflatlines

I found out after about 1 year, so that was a bit too late for mentioning it.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back