UE-10s coming back from servicing
Feb 16, 2006 at 8:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

chrisfromalbany

Headphoneus Supremus
I got an email from UE that they are shipping back my UE-10s. Ultimate Ears had to replace the treble driver and one damper. I noticed for few months that the treble driver would go out from time to time. At first when walking to work in the cold it cut out(sometimes). That is to say the treble driver would cut out on the left side and but once inside it would come back on. Then I experimented to test I wasnt crazy. I would roll down the window of the car, let cold air in, notice the treble driver on the left side would cut out. Roll up the window and the driver within 1 minute or so would come back in. Being that I don’t use them much outside and I decided to keep them. I emailed UE about the situation and they said they hadn’t never heard of a case like this.

So the issue started happening well working out. I noticed the driver would cut out and if I put fingers on opposite sides of the unit and applied pressure, the driver would come back on. Guessing lead to the driver or the driver itself was going bad. At this point, I order a pair of EBs and waited until they came in before sending the UE10s back.

I shipped them from Albany, NY this past Thursday to UE in CA. Got the over night delivery so they arrived on Friday afternoon. Not sure in hindsight, why I needed to be overnight. But oh well. Monday night I got email from Mike Flynn, they were repaired and shipped out that day.

They also replaced the cord because it was looking a little greenish-blue (have transparent cord). Now all is well with the UE-10s, just waiting to receive them in the mail. I would say for the 7 months I have been using them, it would be in the extreme usage category and good part of that being that the gym with cardio and running(alot of sweat). I believe the sweat had something to do with the cord going so quickly on the UE-10s as well.

Helpful Hint... When going cardio with IEMs best to put them in before starting Cardio or running and not to take them off. Water will mostly likely get into the ear canal and driver if you repeatedly take them on and off during exercise. If you do need to take them off, clean off the IEMs and also clean out your ears of any moisture.
cool.gif

Sent : Monday, February 13, 2006 6:33 PM
To : Chris
Subject : RE: UE-10 (treble driver on left unit not working all the time)

Hi Chris -

Your monitors will ship back out today. We changed a driver and a
damper. I also threw in another 64" cord.

Thanks-

Mike

UE10.jpg

Feb 16, 2006 at 8:47 PM Post #3 of 7
Yeah, Mike Flynn is great to deal with on the service end. Glad to hear that you're getting your babies back, and in full health!

Feb 16, 2006 at 8:50 PM Post #4 of 7
Good to know UE proved again their reputation of first class service, Chris.

Would love to see a picture of the repaired earpiece, as it seems to be not an easy job to replace a unit of the sealed thing. Always thought they would replace the whole earpiece in case of malfunction.

Feb 16, 2006 at 9:42 PM Post #5 of 7
Many Congrats Chris. UE is definately a company I like and admire due to their outstanding service. Glad to see nothing has changed.

Feb 17, 2006 at 9:45 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfB
Good to know UE proved again their reputation of first class service, Chris.

Would love to see a picture of the repaired earpiece, as it seems to be not an easy job to replace a unit of the sealed thing. Always thought they would replace the whole earpiece in case of malfunction.

I would think the plastic case for the driver would have to be taken apart to get inside the unit. I am not sure how that works with custom IEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back