UE-10 and Sensaphonics Questions
Aug 8, 2004 at 7:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

digihead

500+ Head-Fier
Hello and my first official post here on Head-FI.

I've been following the UE/Sensa discussions for many months and I am still struggling with the decision between the UE-10 and the Sensas. I'm been listening to Ety4s (w/Westone molds) and a TAH for the last four years or so.

So here's a few questions for all you UE and Sensaphonics owners that will hopefully help guide my decision process:

UE-10:
Now that several people here have had their UE-10's for a while now, do you find that the mids and vocals being pulled forward is something that you get used to and don't notice, or is it something that is continually frustrating over time?

Do you find yourself wishing the UE-10s had more warmth to the bass?

Can anyone out there comment on the effects of an SR-71 with the UE10's?

Sensaphonics:
Do any of the Sensaphonics owners notice that the bass can be a bit much at times? (Remeber I'm coming from an Ety background).

Aslo - Lindrone - You referenced the sound output on the 4th gen ipod as getting rid of the dullness in the high end. Is this mainly through the headphone output or through the line out as well? Are the high end differences between the UE-10 and the 2XS equally noticeable via the 3g line out or are the diffences more through the headphone output?

Can anyone out there comment on the effects of an SR-71 (or HR2) with the Sensaphonics?

Thanks for the help and looking forward to hearing from you luck IEM owners out there.

Aug 8, 2004 at 7:48 PM Post #2 of 30
Heh.. was just going to answer your PM.. but since you posted it here.. may as well..

Quote:

Now that several people here have had their UE-10's for a while now, do you find that the mids and vocals being pulled forward is something that you get used to and don't notice, or is it something that is continually frustrating over time?

I think the forward mids and vocals is something that I personally found frustrating, because I don't like my soundstage to sound like that. However, for some people that's a personal preference, they rather like that sound. It's something that some people can also get used to with a good amount of time. I think the easiest way to test out the theory.. is go listen to a pair of Grado SR-225 or something. Grado's soundstage has that "coming from inside of my head outwards" sort of feel to it. If that really bothers you, and you want a speaker-like soundstage, then maybe you'll find it frustrating. If it something that you really don't mind one way or another, or perhaps even like, then UE-10 won't bother you.

Quote:

Do you find yourself wishing the UE-10s had more warmth to the bass?

And.. yes.. I wish UE-10's had more warmth, not only the bass, but overall.

Quote:

Do any of the Sensaphonics owners notice that the bass can be a bit much at times? (Remeber I'm coming from an Ety background).

Like what you said in the PM.. you actually nailed it pretty spot on. It's mostly with hip hop/rap album that this occurs. Otherwise most of the time it's within perfect balance of the music. Some hip hop/rap albums really do feel very, very bassy... meanwhile UE-10 on hip hop/rap album doesn't seem bassy enough. I guess what I really need is to equalize the bass down on hip hop/rap albums.. but I hate using equalizers.

With some well produced hip hop album, this doesn't seem to bother me either. For example, OutKast's SpeakerBoxx/Love Below seems to be just right even with its bassiness, meanwhile some other album sounds like crap.. hmmm...

Quote:

Aslo - Lindrone - You referenced the sound output on the 4th gen ipod as getting rid of the dullness in the high end. Is this mainly through the headphone output or through the line out as well? Are the high end differences between the UE-10 and the 2XS equally noticeable via the 3g line out or are the diffences more through the headphone output?

It's mostly the difference out of headphone output. The line-out has very slight improvement, but not nearly as noticeable. The line-out signal on the 3g iPod was already extremely well done. It was the headphone output that had left something to be desired.

Also improved are the different EQ settings, although you still don't have a fully user adjustable EQ, the new EQ has much less distortion now. In a word, it's "usable" as opposed to what it was before.

Quote:

Can anyone out there comment on the effects of an SR-71 (or HR2) with the Sensaphonics?

Both the UE-10 and 2X-S hold their sound signature quite well... so the HR-2 adds a layer of warmth to both, but it's just a slight bit. There's some improvement in clarity and detail.

Tell you the truth, I still haven't gotten around to ordering some lower-end amps to test with both headphones. These two are so efficient, I'm wondering if there's any reason for that high-end of an amp at all. I think there's a high possibility that both IEM benefits in only small amount from the amp, and a much lower-end amp will suffice just as well.

However, that's all speculation, I have to get around one day to testing these on some other amps.

Aug 8, 2004 at 8:01 PM Post #3 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by lindrone
It's mostly the difference out of headphone output. The line-out has very slight improvement, but not nearly as noticeable. The line-out signal on the 3g iPod was already extremely well done. It was the headphone output that had left something to be desired.

Cool. This answered my question. I mostly use the line-out of my 3G ipod so I won't worry about not upgrading.

To the original poster, if you've listened to hd650 headphones and like the sound, lindrone and I will be conducting a test to see which one sounds closer to them. I'll hopefully get this setup soon.

Aug 8, 2004 at 10:05 PM Post #4 of 30
You know what.. I may have to take some of the statements I made before back. I was just playing around with the new UE-10 cable I got (yup, much longer reach.. but for some reason I've adapted to having a short cable, the long cable just bothers me now.. lol.. ironic), and I was listening to the iPod, all of a sudden it felt as if everything sounded very crappy...

I thought it might have been the cable not being burned in, I went back to the old, shorter cable. Nope, it still sounds that way...

Turns out, I think with the added warmth in the 4th Gen iPods, the way that UE-10 pushes forward the vocal is really, really unpleasant. The added warmth in the bass is just fine, slight, but at least some good difference. However, the additional warmth and the forward vocal is extremely, extremely unpleasant to me. I haven't noticed this before, because this occurs particularly with the male vocals in about a high-mid baritone more than any other range.

The way that UE-10 processed the warmth + vocal added some strange muddying of the sound, and a very, very congested feel to the overall presentation. Before, it was just a very clear, clean sound that gets pushed forward in your face.. so.. that's okay. Now, it's a warm, very "wet" (can't figure out how to describe) sound that gets pushed into your face... I can't listen to it for an extended period of time without feeling just... like having a compressed airspace around you.

It's really strange, because I've noticed UE-10's inconsistency with several other type of tracks before. I've talked about it briefly, because the inconsistency is hard to nail down. This is one such inconsistency, certain vocal ranges + additional warmth is definitely not a good thing.

I don't have any real answers to this one, because the 4th Gen iPod's overall sound is great, and it works very well with my 2X-S, A900, CD3000... and I'm sure the way it sounds right now performs great with many other headphones. However, I don't believe they're a very good fit with the UE-10 Pro due to the strange, inconsistent characteristics of its vocal/midrange.

Should I even post this in a separate thread?.. Argh.. this is very discerning.

Aug 8, 2004 at 10:38 PM Post #5 of 30
If you are coming from the Etymotic ER-4P/S earphones, then the Ue-10 PRO is the closest thing in terms of a somewhat similiar sound signature. Just think of the latter as the earphones on steroids. I don't think that the vocals are brought forward any more than other headphones such as the Grado RS-1 but I do admit that I like a much more forward sound.

Bass response is terrific and warmth is not an issue for me because I have carefully put together a system that just grooves me and it has very good synergy. I am still surprised how good my reference system sounds to this day. This is before I send in my source component for heavy aftermarket modifications so I expect it to sound enormously better thereafter.

Warmth does not emanate from the earphones per se. It is a result of system synergy. Things must be put together to sound terrific.

Please tell us what kind of system you are trying to put together so we can give you more informed responses.

Aug 8, 2004 at 10:56 PM Post #7 of 30
From what I've read so far, the UE's tend to be more forward than the Sensa's, right?

So would it be right to say that the UE's are more suited for rock/metal than the Sensa's?

Aug 8, 2004 at 11:29 PM Post #8 of 30
The Ue is well suited for all types of music if you have good system synergy. That is the case with me. It is very tricky trying to pick out a custom IEM for this very reason and it should be done with a lot of careful research and forethought.

Aug 9, 2004 at 12:14 AM Post #9 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoide
From what I've read so far, the UE's tend to be more forward than the Sensa's, right?

So would it be right to say that the UE's are more suited for rock/metal than the Sensa's?

Not really, the usage of the word "forward" in this particular case refers to nothing more than the positioning of sound. The UE-10 just has a smaller soundstage due to the way it moves midrange sounds to the forefront. It doesn't make it more particularly more usable for rock/metal.

For example, if you like the way your CD3000 sounds right now with rock/metal music, I don't think you'll like the UE-10's soundstage. CD3000 is one of the better soundstage in terms of size and positioning out of most headphones out there. If you're used to Grado's soundstage, you probably won't have an issue with UE-10's soundstage.

Both UE-10 and 2X-S offer up plenty of speed, impact & excitement for that type of music, but 2X-S's soundstage is larger and more consistent.

Aug 9, 2004 at 1:39 AM Post #11 of 30
nappin - how tall are you?

i am 6'3" and am trying to figure out if the cord on the sensas will be long enough.

the shure e5's 62" cord was long enough, but i do not think a cord that is a foot shorter (sensas standard cord is 50") will be long enough. i am pretty surprised their stock cord is so short. i will probably end up getting an extra 12" attachment cable.

Aug 9, 2004 at 2:43 AM Post #12 of 30
Hi I'm new to this board, been lurking for a while and have read most of the Sensa vs UE-10 PRO discussions. Also contacted lindrone by email and got some very good information from him.

I have decided to get the Sensa, gonna call them tomorrow to find a local audiologist and then place the order. Should be here in time for my birthday.
smily_headphones1.gif

The "forwardness" of vocal and its effect on 4G iPod were the main reasons I am going with the Sensa. Personally I like the more "stealth" look of the Sensa better. Plus the soft material they use seem more comfortable, and I will be using these at my office most of the day. Probably 3 hours in the morning, and another 6 hours after lunch, so that's kind of important.

I guess UE10 vs Sensa is a good dilemma to have, heh... I don't think we can go wrong with either. I know, it takes a little bit of faith as there is no return or resale for custom IEMs, I'll let you guys know how it goes in about 2 week time.
smily_headphones1.gif
It will be my first good pair of headphone, currently I'm using a Sony EX70 bought years ago. If the CD3000 group buy is a go I might pick up a pair of those too.

Thanks to all the UE10 and Sensa reviewers for such detailed and valuable reviews, without those I would have to buy both to know which one I like more. Now I have a pretty good idea the Sensa is the right choice.

--Andrew

Aug 9, 2004 at 3:05 AM Post #13 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by nappin
Ohhh my only gripe is the short cable but that is it =). I just wanted to add that to my PM I sent. Hi everyone and such =0

I believe the Sensaphonics have two cable options. One is a set length that cannot be changed (without sending it back) and the other is a breakaway cable that allows you to attach different lengths from this point. If I get the these headphones I'll go with the breakaway and get it in 4' and 10' length for portable and home use.

Aug 9, 2004 at 1:22 PM Post #14 of 30
that is in my pocket during a workout. If I was any taller, I would strongly suggest getting a longer cord. The cord is really nice and pretty looking. If you use them to listen to desk amps or other audio equipment and relax in a chair, you may want a longer cord. For my height, the cord is perfect. At times when I am listening to music or playing games on my computer I wish I had a longer cord.

Aug 9, 2004 at 3:59 PM Post #15 of 30
Nappin, do they offer a black cable as well? Also, do they come in other colors as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back