uDac Volume Control
Mar 9, 2010 at 4:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

mirage21

New Head-Fier
Apparently I bought my first dac without enough research. After receiving my Audioengine A2's I was left pretty disappointed. After reading up on the udac on here and on amazon I decided that I could try it out since I only forked over 120 for my A2's. The sound is better but I cannot adjust to life w/o control over my master windows volume. It's nice to be able to change the volume on my keyboard but I cannot go without volume control using my windows media center remote.

Please tell me there is a way I can someone get my volume control back whether it's with software or a hack.

Thanks

Mar 10, 2010 at 4:23 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by mirage21 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I need control from my windows remote : (

I don't think it's a good idea. Volume on digital source should be max or you'd lose some bits. Master volume should be controlled on the amp.

Mar 10, 2010 at 4:29 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think it's a good idea. Volume on digital source should be max or you'd lose some bits. Master volume should be controlled on the amp.

This. Most external DACs don't go by the Windows Volume control for that reason. ESPECIALLY if you're on XP.

This said, you should be able to control it by setting up your specific media player to respond with the WM Remote controls, and set your media player into DS (DirectSound) and it should work with minimal quality loss.

Mar 10, 2010 at 4:34 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif

u mean the volume on the media player (winamp, itunes, etc) right and not the master volume? i always wondered about that and which one or both it should be. actually it doesnt really matter for me since the volume on my master volume is at mute anyway and everything works thru the udac for me.

Mar 10, 2010 at 3:27 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by rawrster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
u mean the volume on the media player (winamp, itunes, etc) right and not the master volume? i always wondered about that and which one or both it should be. actually it doesnt really matter for me since the volume on my master volume is at mute anyway and everything works thru the udac for me.

The volume on both Windows and your Media Player should be max. You adjust the main volume on the amp. If you use the uDAC as the DAC to feed other amp, then the uDAC's volume should be max too. However, it's only on theory since I've experienced some distorts when having max volume on the uDAC and I have to lower the volume to 3-4 o'clock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back