UC Berkeley uses Grado!
Feb 27, 2003 at 2:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

jeftsang

Head-Fier
I was going into the library at school today and there's a section where you can check out cd's and listen to them with the school's cd players, which by the way, surprisingly aren't too shabby, sony, marantz, onkyo with surprisingly beefy disc trays. Well today I noticed suddenly everybody had a pair of sr-80's! I thought the entire school was suddenly infused with audiophilia. I went to check out a cd when the guy asked me if I wanted a pair of headphones and I saw a couple of sr-80's in the cabinet. I was amazed. before they only checked out these tattered koss headphones, I guess they went out to buy new ones and they got Grado's! Along with the grado's there were some gigantic Koss headphones that looked really attractive with their shiny metal finish cans, but I'm not a follower of koss phones so I didn't survey them or get the model number. Next time I'm in there I might demo them.

Feb 27, 2003 at 3:01 AM Post #3 of 35
Berkeley is being hit by budget cuts. But just like they choose to pick mindless vandals and anti-Americans for a significant portion of their student body, they spend their money where it isn't really needed. Anyone who really wanted to hear good sound when listening would already have decent headphones!

Feb 27, 2003 at 3:06 AM Post #4 of 35
BTW, the library that the lounge is in is privately funded. It was donated by an alumni named morrison. They buy new cd's and equipment every year with private funding. Don't worry, your tax dollars aren't going to waste, haha.

Feb 27, 2003 at 3:11 AM Post #5 of 35
grados in a library...is it just me or this just doesn't sound like a great idea? Last semester I found out that my school (hopkins) has a big load of Sony 7506's at the media center. But funny thing, to rent it out you gotta take this short test (along with all the other equipment) with stupid questions like..."should you bite the cord on the headphone?" "where do you plug in the headphone?" I guess the administration still believes, no matter how smart their kids are, the students are still a big bunch of idiots
rolleyes.gif

Feb 27, 2003 at 3:21 AM Post #6 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by soupy
I guess the administration still believes, no matter how smart their kids are, the students are still a big bunch of idiots
rolleyes.gif

you've stumbled upon a secret.
wink.gif

Feb 27, 2003 at 3:23 AM Post #7 of 35
Quote:

"should you bite the cord on the headphone?" "where do you plug in the headphone?"

laughabove.gif
That's hilarious...ahahaha...should you bite the cord...while we're at it, "should you dash the headphones against a concrete wall?" or "should the cord be used to strangle someone wearing streetstyles?"

Feb 27, 2003 at 3:39 AM Post #8 of 35
Quote:

But just like they choose to pick mindless vandals and anti-Americans for a significant portion of their student body, they spend their money where it isn't really needed.

Considering Berkeley students were from the top 10% of their highschool class, does that mean all the kids who did well in highschool are vandals or anti-americans?

US News gave UC Berkeley 4.7 out of a possible 5 points for its academic reputation. Only Harvard, MIT, Yale, Princeton and Stanford topped UC Berkeley.

Obviously the rest of America doesn't share your opinon of Berkeley's student body.

35% of the student body is Asian or Asian American, of which a great deal are first generation offspring of immigrants. Now their children attend the top public university in America, do you think they're anti-american as well?

Feb 27, 2003 at 3:54 AM Post #9 of 35
Quote:

grados in a library...is it just me or this just doesn't sound like a great idea?

That does bring about a good question of logic here. What kind of administrator thinks that using $80 headphones in a college library (we're talking about people who now upgraded their maturity level where the make snow penises only every other major snowfall) is a good idea let alone a set of OPEN-ENDED cans?

Feb 27, 2003 at 3:58 AM Post #10 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by jeftsang
Considering Berkeley students were from the top 10% of their highschool class, does that mean all the kids who did well in highschool are vandals or anti-americans?

US News gave UC Berkeley 4.7 out of a possible 5 points for its academic reputation. Only Harvard, MIT, Yale, Princeton and Stanford topped UC Berkeley.

Obviously the rest of America doesn't share your opinon of Berkeley's student body.

35% of the student body is Asian or Asian American, of which a great deal are first generation offspring of immigrants. Now their children attend the top public university in America, do you think they're anti-american as well?

There are many valid complaints you could have with my statement, but none of these is addressing what I said. Suffice it to say (aside from my school having a 4.8
wink.gif
) that I'm referring to the students who were stealing all the campus newspapers a year or so ago so that an ad wouldn't be read by anyone, and then when some of those students broke into the newspaper office to stop work. I'm also referring to the vandalism of the Jewish students' building, the threatening of Jewish students, and the silly protests against the war. I guess I should have added "anti-semitic" to the list.

And no, I'm obviously not talking about all the students -- the ones I've met have been very intelligent and congenial people.

Feb 27, 2003 at 4:03 AM Post #11 of 35
"Obviously the rest of America doesn't share your opinon of Berkeley's student body."

Actually, Berkeley does have a huge, nationwide reputation as being a home of extreme liberalism that can border on "un-American". I guess it just that the the ones that make the noise and grab headlines are of that ilk, whereas the more mainstream folks tend to concentrate on their studies. It is a fine school, but it can be whacky. The town is pretty far out there as well
biggrin.gif

Enough with the politics. It's pretty cool that they have the Grado's but I don't know if it's such a great idea. Are the listening stations far enough away from other students so the leakage won't disturb anyone. I would think a library would be more likely to have closed cans.

Feb 27, 2003 at 4:19 AM Post #13 of 35
To follon on DanG's theme, one guy commented that going to Berkley was like taking a ride in the sewer - in a glass bottomed boat!

Why? They had that one male student who came to class naked for like 3 months. The school is so liberal they couldn't kick him out. They wanted to be progressive in their thinking, but wanted to do something about him. Finally one girl complained that it was sexual harassmennt, and OUT he went.

Not a flame invitation, just some info on the school.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Feb 27, 2003 at 4:22 AM Post #14 of 35
Well the listening section is upstairs away from the reading area and only music listening is allowed there so the open air design isn't a problem.

There are a lot of good points in this thread and I agree. The students probably have no idea that they're listening to a great pair of headphones. But, who knows, maybe somebody will realize that their ear buds or wraparound headphones sound like junk and get bit by the hi fi bug.

Feb 27, 2003 at 4:38 AM Post #15 of 35
Any opportunity to get folks to listen to higher quality components is a good thing. Some of them will get hooked and make some purchases, giving more incentive for manufactures to produce quality stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back