Ubuntu-usb dac problem - need help!
Jul 4, 2009 at 9:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

dubai2000

Head-Fier
Hi all,

after having read a lot about Linux I decided to have a go at it on a spare computer to find out if it really sounds better than my regular XP-foobar setup.
Thus I downloaded the latest Ubuntu version and was quite surprised how easy it was installing it parallel to XP. There was even a media player included (Rythmbox) that recognized my Valab USB dac straight away. So far, so good. But of course I was keen on trying other players (Aqualung and Amarok)....and that's where I am stuck. With those players I do not get any output. It seems the dac is not recognized by either. I fiddled with the various output options in Ubuntu, but no sound. So what am I missing? I also don't seem to get any alsa support. When I try using the Valab with alsa I get the following message:

audiotestsrc wave=sine freq= 512
audioconcert! audioresample! gconfaudiosink:
Could not open audiodevice for playback

Now being an absolute newbie to ubuntu I need some hints where to go from here - and please speak really slowly
redface.gif

Thx in advance for your help.

Jul 5, 2009 at 1:48 AM Post #2 of 9
I have similar problems with usb, couldn't get alsa to output anything.

With the new amarok, you loose the ability to choose a device for it to use and it will not follow the one you choose for your system (ubuntu using gnome by default, while amarok is a KDE program afterall).

I was able to output via ALSA by using a coax digital out from one of my soundcards and connecting that to the stello DA100
smily_headphones1.gif
USB output to my stello like I said above is limited by using OSS.

Jul 5, 2009 at 12:21 PM Post #3 of 9
The install is easy, but the tweaking can get a little more involved. Audio still is not out of box ready for everything you might want to do. For some reason, the useful GUI for Pulseaudio is not included in the base install. This device manager is much more useful than the sound configuration options in the default install. I'm not much more advanced in my understanding than you, but I can point you in the direction that sorted my situation out:

Jaunty 9.04 Sound Solutions - Ubuntu Forums

Jul 5, 2009 at 4:08 PM Post #5 of 9
Jul 6, 2009 at 8:20 AM Post #7 of 9
Im using Ubuntu 8.04 and it has picked up a couple of USB audio devices I have plugged on immediately through Foobar running under WINE.
I found Ubuntu very refreshing after XP. No more crashes, no slowing down with usage and no spyware BUT the software for audio and media I have found wanting. I tired over ten native players and all of them were a hassle in some way - especially getting a descent equaliser. The old Amarok had a descent equaliser but it got dropped in the latest build!
Foobar however runs brilliantly. The only bug I have is to adjust the equaliser I have to enter the drop down menu under File-Properties. In that menu you need to select your USB device as well to get sound out.
I dont know if the latest Foobar is compatible with WINE. Im running Foobar9.5.6 and its stable for me.
To install WINE use the Application - Add/Remove feature. Then configure WINE as XP, Audio - Emulation, emulate drivers, 41,000 16bit.
Let us know what works for you please. Good luck!

Jul 6, 2009 at 9:05 PM Post #8 of 9
Pulseaudio is a HUGE PITA and it has caused me hours and HOURS of GRIEF.

Jul 6, 2009 at 11:17 PM Post #9 of 9
Well, the audio players are giving me trouble. I added amarok 2 and aqualung but couldn't manage to get any output. So far only rhythmbox works. Would using foobar in WINE not degrade the sound in comparison to native Linux players (might be a stupid question but as I am not familiar what happens 'inside' Linux please bear with me). And if there are any hints how I can get sounds out of amarok or aqualung I'd welcome those too.
BTW: now using LinuxMint instead of ubuntu.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back