Ubuntu/Other Linux Distos Anyone?
Apr 24, 2007 at 4:54 AM Post #31 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by bendurrr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd like to try Ubuntu and actually have been meaning to for a while, but my burner is broken lol.

You could try this: http://cutlersoftware.com/ubuntusetu...-US/index.html

I had limited success with it on an old Dell several months ago; actually, it worked perfectly, but wouldn't recognize my secondary hard drive - I didn't really try to get it working, though. All my other hardware worked perfectly.

Tom

Apr 24, 2007 at 5:12 AM Post #32 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like linux. I don't have a problem with Windows XP or OSX.

But Windows Vista is absolute garbage.

-Matt

I thought that at first but it does have some appealing qualities. Alot of the ripped from osx but still I don't see how it is that bad. The voice recognition is superb, readyboost is well implemented, and it looks like ms and other companies are going to have a solid 64 bit platform to develop apps for.

Apr 24, 2007 at 5:14 AM Post #33 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by ThomasJB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could try this: http://cutlersoftware.com/ubuntusetu...-US/index.html

I had limited success with it on an old Dell several months ago; actually, it worked perfectly, but wouldn't recognize my secondary hard drive - I didn't really try to get it working, though. All my other hardware worked perfectly.

Tom

Thanks. I'll give it a try sometime.

Apr 24, 2007 at 5:24 AM Post #34 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by FalconP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hope this don't turn into an OO-bashing thread. My problem with OO is that, while OO is extremely feature rich, the one or two little function that it omits happens to be important to me: no grammar check in Write (hence Abiword), no statistical graphs in Calc (only Gnumeric will do for me). I'm very interested in the new generation office suite from KDE -- Sonnet in particular seems to me a prayer answered.

OO has Stat Graphs in 2.0, although finding them can be a bit tricky.

Apr 24, 2007 at 6:47 AM Post #35 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've never noticed it being slow, strange.

In Windows, OOo Writer is quite slow to load compared to AbiWord. I haven't used Word in years, but it seems like Word was also faster than OOo. But AbiWord FTW if you only need a word processor!

Apr 24, 2007 at 7:20 AM Post #36 of 39
Ya, I run abiword on my older laptop, although even its 300mhz celeron doesn have much trouble running OOo. anyway, ive been using linux for close to three years now. Its been fun, currently using kubuntu although ive tried almost all the other distros. I switch every few months, right now im in ubuntu mode
smily_headphones1.gif

And Koffice 2.0 seems like it will be very cool. The two Linux apps that I hate-but-cant-live-without are OOo and Firefox, but I think in KDE 4 we will have suitable replacements for both.

Apr 24, 2007 at 11:59 PM Post #39 of 39

Users who are viewing this thread

Back