ubuntu 12.04
Mar 12, 2012 at 1:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

deandake

New Head-Fier
Howdy to my Ubuntu using friends. I just got done loading up Ubuntu 12.04 after getting frustrated that my 10.04 wouldn't recognize the onboard spdif on my sabertooth 990fx. I have to say I am giddy with the results. Sound management and SQ is phenominal. The new OS recognized the onboard digital output of the MB and already had it selected for (S/PDIF)"Digital Stereo (IEC958)". Sound from my system has never sound so good. I came to the realization that my sound card only had 16/44.1 output. It had never occured to me that he onboard sound on my MB could handle 24/192.So, I ditched the old sound card. While I currently have no recordings at 24/192, I do have several at 24/96. I was getting frustrated because my 24 bit stuff sounded just like the 16 bit stuff. Now that I have full 24 bit running out the SQ is mind blowing.

I see now how trying to get higher and higher quality SQ can be addicting.

Thank you Ubuntu

Mar 13, 2012 at 3:15 AM Post #2 of 5
Hey, ive been using Linux since before anyone had ever heard of it.

One word. Fedora. Its the best distro out there. Ubuntu is ok for begginer but Fedora is amazing when it comes to drivers and therefore soundquality. The majority of linux developers use Redhat based distro's so therefore there are "better" drivers ifswim.

Just give it a go like, download a livecd or something and just try it, dont have to install it onto your system :).

Just word of warning, download Fedora 14 if i was you as it has the same interface (the way it looks) as Ubuntu 10.04 which is Gnome 2.

Fedora 15/16 has Gnome 3, which is crap (just the way it looks) but hey some people like it.

Mar 13, 2012 at 4:22 AM Post #3 of 5
I was getting frustrated because my 24 bit stuff sounded just like the 16 bit stuff. Now that I have full 24 bit running out the SQ is mind blowing.

What is your S/PDIF receiver? Short of very expensive equipment, the effective number of bits is likely to be close to 16 any way.

When is that? 1991?

Fedora is amazing when it comes to drivers and therefore soundquality. The majority of linux developers use Redhat based distro's so therefore there are "better" drivers ifswim.

What's your source for that statistic? Also, drivers are part of the linux kernel, which is pretty much the same across distros.

Mar 13, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #4 of 5

Quote:
What is your S/PDIF receiver? Short of very expensive equipment, the effective number of bits is likely to be close to 16 any way.

I am using my Sony amp to decode. When it is in DTS mode I get 24 bit. Regular 2 channel mode it samples down to 44.1. Even with my 16/44.1 flac files I am hearing detail I've never heard before. I can't wait to finish my Opus DAC and then whatever headphone amp I plan to get in the future.
Quote:

One word. Fedora. Its the best distro out there. Ubuntu is ok for begginer but Fedora is amazing when it comes to drivers and therefore soundquality. The majority of linux developers use Redhat based distro's so therefore there are "better" drivers ifswim.

Just give it a go like, download a livecd or something and just try it, dont have to install it onto your system :).

Just word of warning, download Fedora 14 if i was you as it has the same interface (the way it looks) as Ubuntu 10.04 which is Gnome 2.

Fedora 15/16 has Gnome 3, which is crap (just the way it looks) but hey some people like it.

Fedora eh? I'll have to give it a spin. I love my Ubuntu though. I've been looking into Gnome 3 as well as Cinnamon for desktop environments. Unity is just not as intuitive as I would like.

Mar 14, 2012 at 8:35 AM Post #5 of 5
I am waiting for April 26th, 2012 for Canonical to release Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit Long Term Support. I plan to download the alternative installation .ISO file and burn it to a CD-R or DVD-R if the size of the file exceeds 700 megabytes (it might go as high as 750 megabytes). I will use the Software Update icon to perform a flawless upgrade that should not take more than one hour to complete.

I may stick with LTS releases in the future. I have not made up my mind yet, but I do like the extra stability and reliability of LTS releases. All of my hardware devices and software packages currently work with Ubuntu 11.10 64 bit so I expect things to continue to work with 12.04 64 bit LTS. On the other hand, I do like to keep up with improvements in terms of hardware and software technologies over time so I am also thinking about continuing to upgrade to a new stable release every April and October of each year. It all depends on how good the 12.04 64 bit LTS release is to make up my mind. I used the older 10.04 64 bit LTS release on an older laptop that I owned and I had a lot of problems with device drivers and hardware incompatibility issues, but that was due to the fact that the laptop was brand new at the time and it was released to the general public for sale a month before the release of 10.04 64 bit LTS.

My current System76 Bonobo Professional runs Ubuntu 11.10 64 bit and I know it will work with 12.04 64 bit LTS. I shall see if I will stick with it or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back