Uber isolation headphones
Dec 5, 2011 at 8:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

ScaryFatKidGT

500+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for some cans with really really good (IEM level or more) of sound Isolation. I work over a loud machine at work and I am currently using my Image S4's but I want something with more isolation and I would prefer a full sized cans with a single sided cable as my work keeps catching right in the y of the cable.

I have heard the Sennheiser 280HD Pro's Isolate well but IDK if they would be enough they will need to isolate better than my SRH840's. I have also seen some headphones for drumming mad by various drum accessory companies but at around $60 I'm worried about there SQ. I would like them to have a good amount of bass to cut threw the low frequency's of the machine's. My budgets around $150-$200.

Dec 5, 2011 at 10:40 PM Post #2 of 13
You will not get isolation anywhere near an IEM, especially if that IEM is made by Etymotic. That being said, from what I've seen measured on response graphs and in use monitoring live performances, the Sennheiser HD280, the Beyerdynamic DT 770 M and DT 100  seem to be the best bets. You may wish to purchase two of the options though, as the Beyers are $200, and the Senn. is only $60, and isolation may not be better in the Beyers.

Dec 6, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #3 of 13

Quote:
You will not get isolation anywhere near an IEM, especially if that IEM is made by Etymotic. That being said, from what I've seen measured on response graphs and in use monitoring live performances, the Sennheiser HD280, the Beyerdynamic DT 770 M and DT 100  seem to be the best bets. You may wish to purchase two of the options though, as the Beyers are $200, and the Senn. is only $60, and isolation may not be better in the Beyers.

Well the VicFirth headphone I tried on seemed close to my S4's but I couldn't try out the SQ cuz I didn't have my player on me. I would try Etymotics but I'm looking for over ears and I'm not looking for an analytic sound signature. So the 280's are really that good?

Dec 6, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #4 of 13

Quote:
I'm looking for some cans with really really good (IEM level or more) of sound Isolation. I work over a loud machine at work and I am currently using my Image S4's but I want something with more isolation and I would prefer a full sized cans with a single sided cable as my work keeps catching right in the y of the cable.

I have heard the Sennheiser 280HD Pro's Isolate well but IDK if they would be enough they will need to isolate better than my SRH840's. I have also seen some headphones for drumming mad by various drum accessory companies but at around $60 I'm worried about there SQ. I would like them to have a good amount of bass to cut threw the low frequency's of the machine's. My budgets around $150-$200.

i would be sure to wear adequate hearing protection first, its sounds like you are trying to drown out the sound of the machinery through music, a sure step to hearing damage

Dec 6, 2011 at 10:39 PM Post #5 of 13

Quote:
i would be sure to wear adequate hearing protection first, its sounds like you are trying to drown out the sound of the machinery through music, a sure step to hearing damage

Yes, it sounds like you may need some musician's monitors such as the drumming ones you were talking about. I hate to say this, but if the noise level of the machine you're listening over is at a certain threshold, you may have to resort to Bose or risk shelling out tons more for a similar cancellation phone. I'm sorry I mentioned such a brand, but it popped into my head.

Dec 6, 2011 at 11:01 PM Post #7 of 13
You might be able to go with IEMs if you put the y-split behind your neck when wearing them. It feels weird at first, but I do it all the time when don't want it hanging from my neck.

Dec 7, 2011 at 9:02 PM Post #8 of 13

Quote:

No IEM's are fine they just start to hurt my ears after about 6 houres with my safety glasses on, I need to use my right hand to adjust my right ear and left hand for left where with over ears I could just use one hand and I cant hear as much detail as I would like. I was considering getting the QC15's but they were not on sale when every other Bose headphone was so I never pulled the trigger.

Dec 8, 2011 at 12:55 AM Post #9 of 13
If comfort is the reason you can't wear IEMs, consider the Klipsch Image X10, as it isolates far more than the S4. With the body of the earphone being so small and weightless, it should perform far better for you as for as comfort goes. Here's a graph to compare isolation, the lower the line, the lower the noise that comes through:

graphCompare.php

As can be seen, the Image X10 performs far better than the S4, and reduces low frequency noise by a minimum of 20 decibels. When compared to the 'isolating' Sennheiser HD280 Pro, the results are even more dramatic.

Dec 12, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #10 of 13

Quote:
If comfort is the reason you can't wear IEMs, consider the Klipsch Image X10, as it isolates far more than the S4. With the body of the earphone being so small and weightless, it should perform far better for you as for as comfort goes. Here's a graph to compare isolation, the lower the line, the lower the noise that comes through:

graphCompare.php

As can be seen, the Image X10 performs far better than the S4, and reduces low frequency noise by a minimum of 20 decibels. When compared to the 'isolating' Sennheiser HD280 Pro, the results are even more dramatic.

Hmm I didn't know they had isolation graphs thanks. I'm surprised how close the 280's stay with the S4's but how do the X10's isolate that much better when they have the same tips, that graph is near Eytmotic levels? Also they say the S4i's isolate quite a bit better than the S4's which makes no sense and makes me think there graphs are wrong?

I was looking at these
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Direct-Sound-EX-29-Extreme-Isolation-Headphones-104507363-i1176475.gc#close
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Vic-Firth-SIH1-Isolation-Headphones-101547305-i1137888.gc#close

and I also found the DT 770's and the DT 770 M's which block more noise but cost more and don't sound as good.

Dec 13, 2011 at 2:47 AM Post #11 of 13
The S4 has a larger housing and doesn't go as deeply into the ear. Maybe it's just me, but I find that smaller IEM's seem to isolate better because they don't have the surface area for sound to bounce on, and smaller ones won't resonate in the ear canal, because they are suspended by the eartip, and not pressing against the ear canal.

As for the S4 and the S4i, I'm not sure why the graph is different, but it still pales in comparison the the X10... if you want to make your own graph, try this tool:

www.headphone.com/learning-center/build-a-graph.php

Dec 13, 2011 at 2:58 AM Post #12 of 13
Alternatively, you could get one of them drummer's earmuffs? No cable problems, cheaper than buying a new pair of headphones, and you can use them on top of your S4s.

Dec 13, 2011 at 3:57 AM Post #13 of 13
Sound quality and isolation are two pairs of shoes with full size phones.

A well fitting pro4aat isolate on both sides outstanding. You can push the volume near ear damaging level and the world do not realize you.   
The only problem is, the ear filled pads as the key for isolation are not deep enough for every head and the right seal. A Laser Printer at 55dB noise level is without Music well muted and hardly on it sound signature to identify as a printer. On ambient listening level  it was easy mute a drill hammer.
Not even the DT770M can isolate this way, but the overall fit is more head friendly.    

The best way for your solution is to get the better sounding HV/2 drivers with the naked headphone shell of the pro4aat and the cushions of the QZ99.
I made some modifications on the open pro4aaat with HV1 drivers, but the vinyl ear pads and the resonating cups killing the sound. Sound detail is between HD 681 and MS 1 with good Isolation on K81 level. I need to put the HV drivers into the pro4aat. The shell is from better plastic and block a lot of sound and resonating.      

Users who are viewing this thread

Back