uAmp107B mods help
Sep 3, 2007 at 4:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

holland

Headphoneus Supremus
I've got a microshar uAmp107B and it runs off 2 1.2V AA NIMH batteries. Here are the things I'm going to change.

- I want to change that to 4 1.2V NIMH AAA batteries, the datasheet seems to indicate better specs at 5V and I don't care about battery life. If it goes from 200 hours to 80hours, that's still more than enough for me.
- May lower gain from 9 to 6.
- Wire in a switch for turn on.
- Change capacitors to Panasonic FM.

The last 3 I've figured out. I need to order stuff for a few Mini3 builds, so it's no issue to add a few more items.

Before I get to my main question. There are some huge caps on the output. A 1000uF with a smaller SMD cap in parallel, before it connects to the output leads and they wire almost directly to the amp chip's output. I'm not sure, yet, if there are any resistors in the line. What is the purpose of this? Bass?

OK, main question. How does NIMH charging work? As far as I can tell there's no regulator, but there are 2 transistors in emitter follower configuration that ties VDD to the Amp chip and to ground.

The amp chips are TPA701, if you look at the datasheet (http://www.ti.com/lit/gpn/tpa701) the NPN transistors (assuming as they are SMD and marked 1P) have their collector connected to the shutdown pin.

Vdd is always supplied to the amp chip and the shutdown pin is used in conjunction with power on and power off. With the audio jacks out, there's no current, so the drops across the voltage drop resistors are negligble.

The base is connected to the voltage source (be it 2.4-2.7V battery or 5V through AC adapter), but through a series of resistors so the voltage drops to 1.2V in 5V DC adapter mode or 1.1V in 2.4-2.7V AA mode).

The emitter is a follower config. 1 transistor's emitter to another's base and the 2nd emitter is to ground. This is directing current around, but is current all that's needed to charge? Is voltage important?

What do you guys use to draw circuit pictures? Any free stuff out there?

Thanks!

Sep 3, 2007 at 4:40 PM Post #2 of 3
Forgot to mention, there's a charging indicator LED in the path, but I think that's to isolate the amp circuit from 5V and 2.4V. When the adapter is plugged in, one leg goes to 5V and the LED lights, otherwise they are both at 2.4V.

Sep 4, 2007 at 11:35 PM Post #3 of 3
Figured out the 1000uf cap is a coupling cap to block DC offset. 1000uf is chosen to set up the high pass filter with the headphone load. The smaller cap is probably a bypass cap for better audio characteristics. I guess I'll have to try shorting both caps and see how much offset there really is. Shorting just the 1000uf will screw up the high-pass region and move it up in the audible range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back