U2's New Album
Nov 22, 2004 at 3:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

jwramp

100+ Head-Fier
"How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb"....i just picked it up two days ago, and have been listening to it frequently....as usual, very good stuff from the guys, and overall an energetic album....i'm really not good at describing sound and music, so i won't say much....i thought it was good, and that it was worth the buy.....it came with a dvd with some live stuff, but i haven't checked it out.....post your opinions

Nov 22, 2004 at 4:46 AM Post #2 of 25
I'm waiting for mine to show up...and getting crabby too!!
mad.gif

I hear that it's their best rocker since they were making albums like War and Boy.

Nov 22, 2004 at 5:41 AM Post #3 of 25
yeah, here in sitka there's only two record stores, and one of them always releases new stuff early, so i don't believe it actually comes out till the 23rd....but they had it 5 or so days before that.....whatever...

Nov 22, 2004 at 8:11 AM Post #4 of 25
I've actually had it for over a week (it leaked on the net and I'm a rabid U2 fan - couldn't help myself!
biggrin.gif
Of course I'm buying it as well). It's a very, very good album and clearly better than All That You Can't Leave Behind. I guess it's a rocking album by U2 standards, but then U2 never have been about churning out pure rock records. Love And Peace Or Else, however, has to be one of the best rockers they've written. There is also a youthful energy in this album that I haven't seen from U2 in a while - it's a nice and welcome surprise. Overall a great album, maybe a bit shy of a masterpiece, but the more I listen the more I like.

BTW, did anyone happen to catch them on SNL yesterday (11/20)? They played Vertigo, Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own, and closed the show with I Will Follow - and completely owned the place. Had the audience on their feet and the cast acting like adoring groupies.
biggrin.gif
If their performance at SNL is any indication, the upcoming tour is going to be incredible.

Nov 22, 2004 at 1:58 PM Post #5 of 25
I abandoned U2 around the zooropa/pop time but I will cross my fingers and buy this latest and give the lads another chance for redemption. I recognize they are now a pop band rather than a rock band but I liked the youthful sound of Vertigo. It reminded me of the earlier U2. Actually it sounds a little like 'Spanish Eyes' a b-side from the Joshua Tree sessions, which is a great song but didn't fit the overall mood of JT. Funny thing, I prefer the songs that didn't make it onto the Joshua Tree over the songs that did make it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamP88
BTW, did anyone happen to catch them on SNL yesterday (11/20)?

I'll give it a week and find it for peer to peer high-rez download somewhere.

Nov 23, 2004 at 10:04 AM Post #6 of 25
I received the advance from Interscope about a week ago. I wasn't really that impressed. It's not bad at all but it's almost like U2 have become a machine in sounding like U2. Not that its bad but that its just the rocker, the ballad, the mid tempo, its all traditional U2 sound and not surprising or new at all really.

Nov 23, 2004 at 7:00 PM Post #7 of 25
That is the most incredible statement I have read in a long time...U2 sounding like U2? Wow. I'm not trying to be sarcastic here...I'm really stunned. Frankly the entire last decade was U2 reinventing themselves time and time again and with each metamorphosis, they were criticized more heavily, until finally they returned to their roots, their U2 sound and were praised, hailed as the world's best! And showered with awards. This album is certainly in line with Boy and War with hints of Achtung Baby! slipping in now and again. Sure they sound like U2, because the world has demanded it, and they are responding with vigor!

Though I downloaded it a while ago, I'm grabbing my copy after work tonight. The MP3's were AWFUL, I have high hopes for the Redbook variation, and my LP should be arriving this week.

Nov 23, 2004 at 7:31 PM Post #8 of 25
I see local Best Buy has it for $9.99.........still not sure I will pick it up.

The video everyone has seen "vertigo" is not at all representative of material on this album......wish it was since that is a great song that brings back memories of fist two albums when group could actually let loose and rock.

Checking short samples I really only hear two rockers, tracks 1,6......remainder of album seems to be mid tempo moody introspective pieces that remind me a bit of Interpol. I may change my mind if I hear entire album, but usually samples give good idea of things.

Nov 24, 2004 at 1:57 AM Post #10 of 25
Unfortunately but not suprisingly the opening track 'Vertigo' is far and away the best track. Nothing else comes close. It's interesting reading the credits as the old producers have been brought aboard Steve Lillywhite, Brian Eno, Daniel Lanois as well as others. Lillywhite has overall production credit but each song is produced by different individuals or teams, Eno/Lanois being an example and you can hear the Eno/Lanois sound on those tracks.
The best, most energetic tracks, only 5 of 11, are unsuprisingly produced by Steve Lillywhite. He should have did every song.

Nov 24, 2004 at 3:21 AM Post #11 of 25
Vertigo is a great tune. I'm not sure an entire CD with similar "vertigo" tunes would be in line of anything U2 has put out. If Eno was part of the team then you know there will be variations of musical style on the CD. Achtung Baby was my last U2 purchase back in the early 90's. Eno and Bono did a great job with that one so my thinking is this one should be great as well.

Nov 24, 2004 at 4:06 AM Post #12 of 25
If you love the Boy, October, War era U2...... They're BACK...

It is so far a very solid album, edge's guitar has never sounded better. It's interesting that while this album doesn't break much new ground it does go back and move forward within the realm of the above listed albums (if that make sense)

I don't think that a how to reassemble an atomic bomb should be the next move though. They need to either find new direction or possibly find a new way to synthesize the October 2 with the Zooropa.

I would give it 4 of 5 stars mainly because it feels a bit long at the end. This may not bode well for it's longevity.

Another odd note (that may be deliberate?) is that it sounds like crap rip to MP3 at 128K. I do this to listen to it on my old rio.

Nov 24, 2004 at 4:37 AM Post #14 of 25
I listened to the album when I returned home tonight and watched the DVD. Some fun times for sure. Though it is not my favourite album, it does hold a few tracks that could inch into my top 20 and perhaps one into my top 10 favourite U2 songs.

I like this album much more than I liked the ATYCLB. I am one of the few that seems to have liked Pop and I prefer this one over Pop as well. Does it take Zooropa? Hmmm, time will tell but it sure doesn't hold a candle to the Gradiose Triad (Joshua Tree, Rattle and Hum, Achtung Baby!).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back