U2 - Vertigo
Oct 1, 2004 at 11:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

dabblerblue

100+ Head-Fier
Anyone else heard the new U2 track? I'm really digging it, sounds a lot like pre-Zooropa U2.

I'm definitely looking forward to "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb" a lot more now!

Oct 2, 2004 at 1:11 AM Post #4 of 20
When does it release?

Oct 2, 2004 at 4:40 AM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by spaceman
When does it release?

Amazon says November 23.
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

Oct 2, 2004 at 10:28 AM Post #6 of 20
I like it.
Not sure about the rest of the songs which I have not heard.
I like because it's youthful and reminds me of older U2.
Sick of them during their black & white/Joshua/Rattle & Hum period.
Loved them for Achtung Baby, gave up on them again around Pop.

Closest to 'Spanish Eyes' B-side from J.Tree.
I like the B-sides from J.Tree more than the regular tracks.

Oct 2, 2004 at 8:21 PM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by 19lexicon78
hmm,

i've heard it once..and i don't like it..why, i don't know..achtung baby is better..more dark, berlin..zoo station..that's my favourite one..

To each their own
icon10.gif

It'd be nice if there were songs like 'Exit' or 'Until the End of the World,' but as U2 stands these days, I'll happily take 'Vertigo' over what they've (up until now) been recording lately.

Oct 2, 2004 at 8:40 PM Post #9 of 20
you know what's strange...

in the rock/pop world...musicians in their late 20's or 30's are at their best..

in the classical music world...the musicians peaked at their 50's...

strange...

Oct 3, 2004 at 2:26 AM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeteeth
I like it.

Sick of them during their black & white/Joshua/Rattle & Hum period.

00000hh......Joshua was excellent! I'm with you as well regarding their earlier stuff, but I thought Joshua Tree was/is a classic. Rattle & Hum, well, not that excited about that one.

Oct 3, 2004 at 5:38 AM Post #11 of 20
Achtung Baby was a masterpiece, and that ocurred well along in their recorded output.
But yes, Zooropa and almost everything after that are far inferior works to what came before.

JC

Oct 3, 2004 at 8:48 AM Post #13 of 20
"Sick of them during their black & white/Joshua/Rattle & Hum period."
eyeteeth
Quote:

Originally Posted by spaceman
00000hh......Joshua was excellent! I'm with you as well regarding their earlier stuff, but I thought Joshua Tree was/is a classic. Rattle & Hum, well, not that excited about that one.

I should have said I became sick of them near the end of their rattle & hum period. As that's more time accurate. Joshua was stunningly good when it was fresh. I saw U2 live and still have somewhere the Time magazine with them on the cover.
I guess I'm compressing the whole period together as the B & W period. I suppose I shouldn't.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 3, 2004 at 11:27 AM Post #14 of 20
Hey guys how are you?
I really like the new songs tune but in my mind the lyrics let it down...
But at least i get to listen to some new music with a blend of their old style.
Cheers
-jake

Oct 4, 2004 at 1:08 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeteeth
"Sick of them during their black & white/Joshua/Rattle & Hum period."
eyeteeth

I should have said I became sick of them near the end of their rattle & hum period. As that's more time accurate. Joshua was stunningly good when it was fresh. I saw U2 live and still have somewhere the Time magazine with them on the cover.
I guess I'm compressing the whole period together as the B & W period. I suppose I shouldn't.
smily_headphones1.gif

that's similar to how i feel. initially i loved the joshua tree but rattle & hum showed me how pompous and bloated they could get (and maybe always were) - bono's slimy "i'm with bb king" exploitation and the barmy gospel version of 'where the streets have no name' ruined u2 for me.

(good thing too since it led me to indie stuff again...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back