U2 - October
Apr 14, 2006 at 11:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

MdRex

1000+ Head-Fier
confused.gif
I just found a copy of U2 october at my local CD shop for US$12 and was wondering if it is worth the money. BTW is the CD well recorded?

THANKS!
biggrin.gif

Apr 14, 2006 at 12:35 PM Post #2 of 17
I always liked the album. It's a bit bright in the high end (I'm not certain but I don't think it's been remastered). That said, it's the golden era of U2 - The (Producer Steve) Lilywhite Era - hard to go wrong.

Apr 14, 2006 at 9:06 PM Post #3 of 17
Used for $12? Get it from yourmusic.com for $6 new. The sound of the album isn't the best, but it is one of u2's best efforts IMO.

Apr 15, 2006 at 12:38 AM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by MdRex
confused.gif
I just found a copy of U2 october at my local CD shop for US$12 and was wondering if it is worth the money. BTW is the CD well recorded?

THANKS!
biggrin.gif

Was the LP that introduced me to U2 back when it was released (81?). I went back and bought "Boy" the next week, IIRC. IMO, one of their best!

Apr 15, 2006 at 1:42 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by mdjenders
Used for $12? Get it from yourmusic.com for $6 new. The sound of the album isn't the best, but it is one of u2's best efforts IMO.

New for 12 bucks, importing is too much of a hassle (not to mention that the overall cost plus shipping will chock up to around $12) for CDs that I can grab locally, I live outside US.
biggrin.gif

I guess I'll be picking up the CD... hope to find a cheaper outlet...
icon10.gif

Apr 15, 2006 at 4:13 AM Post #6 of 17
"october" and "boy" are two of u2's best albums. try to find both.

the mofi release of "unforgettable fire" is also worth seeking out.

Apr 16, 2006 at 8:47 AM Post #7 of 17
Yay, bought it for USD$9 new from a local shop. Not as well recorded as I would have like it to be but great nonetheless
biggrin.gif

Interesting enough, none of the songs from October made it to the Best Of 1980-1990 CD, not even "Gloria" which IMO is the strongest track on the disc.

Apr 16, 2006 at 12:58 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by MdRex
Interesting enough, none of the songs from October made it to the Best Of 1980-1990 CD, not even "Gloria" which IMO is the strongest track on the disc.

Yeah, I always considered October as pretty weak, kind of their sophomore slump, since I liked the debut way more. They did tack "October" on the end of the 1980-1990 collection, at least in the US, but didn't put it on the label. Guess whoever did the collection didn't like that album much either
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 16, 2006 at 3:46 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter
"october" and "boy" are two of u2's best albums. try to find both.

Absolutely two of the best U2 albums, "october" easily the most underrated U2 album.......$12 is too much, get used at Amazon or buy new for $6 at yourmusic.com

One of my most unforgetable concert experiences was U2 concert at Park West Chicago, small club that holds 1,000-1,500 customers in early 1980's, this was during the Boy and October tour.

The stage was dark except for single bright spotlight at floor level to backlight everything, fog machines rolled blanket of fog along the floor just like spooky horror show and all you see is Bono backlit and then you hear Edge's solo guitar for begining of "Gloria" like off in the distant fog......then the band kicks in like a sledge hammer and stage lights up, tremendous visual impact and U2 rocked hard back then, yeah!!!!!

Apr 17, 2006 at 4:06 AM Post #10 of 17
October is a GREAT album.

I remember when "Boy" first came out. I had it before anyone I knew had ever heard of U2 (College Radio was the only way to stay ahead of the curve in the pre-internet days). That record blew me away; I knew they were going to be superstars, or at least had that potential if they didn't blow it with drugs and such, as so many have.

I prefer all of their older stuff, before they truly were superstars.

Apr 17, 2006 at 10:27 AM Post #11 of 17
I don't live in the US, so after adding import and shipping fees, it'll prolly be around the 9-12 USD mark.

Anyways, what do you guys suggest I get next, I saw joshua tree at 10 bucks USD and it is supposed to be THE album for U2. Rather tempted to grab it next.
biggrin.gif

Apr 17, 2006 at 4:43 PM Post #12 of 17
If you like their music, it's kind of hard to go wrong with any of their albums. In my personal opinion, the older stuff is better than the newer stuff, but there would be plenty of U2 fans who disagree.

If you buy/listen to them more or less in the order they came out, you can really see (hear) the band mature, which is alway interesting to me. There are exceptions to this general rule, where a band records before they are really any good, but U2 was good right out of the box.

Apr 18, 2006 at 10:58 AM Post #13 of 17
I will prolly be roasted for this but IMHO the strongest album that U2 has pushed out is All That You Can't Leave Behind after hearing a few of their albums. Waiting for Joshua Tree to blow me away.
biggrin.gif

Apr 19, 2006 at 4:18 AM Post #14 of 17
In my opinion, Joshua Tree and The Unforgettable Fire are the best. However, I like them all. Even the bad ones like Zooropa have their moments.

Apr 19, 2006 at 4:21 AM Post #15 of 17
i'd rank zooropa in u2's top 3 albums. it is their most moody, and least self-conscious album.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back