U2 and new ipod commercial
Nov 27, 2005 at 7:36 AM Post #2 of 20
U2
Original of the Species
Live from Chicago

Best,
iDesign

Nov 27, 2005 at 8:53 AM Post #4 of 20
resisting urge to go on anti-U2 rant......getting difficult......just let the people enjoy their music.......taste......subjective........

*collapse*

Nov 27, 2005 at 12:17 PM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by shesmylovernow
resisting urge to go on anti-U2 rant......getting difficult......just let the people enjoy their music.......taste......subjective........

*collapse*

may i saduce you to your reasoning or opinion against U2?

Nov 27, 2005 at 5:17 PM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

*collapse*

Honestly, I'm not a U2 fan. They have a strong political message and they have been around for a long time, but their music doesnt do anything for me. They have made a few songs I like though.
I really dont understand their popularity either.

Thank you iDesign...
etysmile.gif

Nov 27, 2005 at 7:36 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by lee0539
may i saduce you to your reasoning or opinion against U2?

I don't want to get into a big thing here, since I'm quite passionate about my dislike of U2, so I'll just say that the sanctimoniousness of the band pisses me off to no end.

Nov 28, 2005 at 12:22 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

I don't want to get into a big thing here, since I'm quite passionate about my dislike of U2, so I'll just say that the sanctimoniousness of the band pisses me off to no end.

Amen Brother.
It's sad, I used to love U2 when they first came out.
They were a rough, raw band of dedicated young men with something to say. The music may have been simple, but the words were were full of passion, anger and love.
They were honest and real.

Then it seems like fame went to their heads.
Mr. "I'm so cool I wear my sunglasses all the time" Bono....UGH.
Matter of fact, the entire band give the impression of being aloof and self important now IMO.

The music also took a huge nosedive after Joshua Tree and shows no signs of getting better.

"Hello, hello. We're at a place called vertigo.(?) Yeah,Yeah,Yeah,Yeah,Yeah,Yeah,Yeah,Yeah,Yeah,Yeah"
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
What

Nov 28, 2005 at 4:59 PM Post #11 of 20
You know you are falling to the hype when you are about to get that vid for your ipod on itunes when it hits you that you already own it here -

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...s=dvd&v=glance

hehe. my wife loves U2.

anyhow, someday i'll find a way to get those vids into ipodabble format and i'll be good. right now i have nero but i have no idea how to use it to work with the ipod.

Nov 28, 2005 at 11:53 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd R
Amen Brother.
It's sad, I used to love U2 when they first came out.
They were a rough, raw band of dedicated young men with something to say. The music may have been simple, but the words were were full of passion, anger and love.
They were honest and real.

Then it seems like fame went to their heads.
Mr. "I'm so cool I wear my sunglasses all the time" Bono....UGH.
Matter of fact, the entire band give the impression of being aloof and self important now IMO.

The music also took a huge nosedive after Joshua Tree and shows no signs of getting better.

"Hello, hello. We're at a place called vertigo.(?) Yeah,Yeah,Yeah,Yeah,Yeah,Yeah,Yeah,Yeah,Yeah,Yeah"
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
What

That seems to be the downfall of a lot of really good underground bands these days. As soon as they are discovered by the main stream, they try to change their music to gain more popularity and end up losing their original fans and selling out. Then they lose the fans that were just jumping on the bandwagon and are left with nothing, fading out of everyones memory.

Nov 29, 2005 at 12:00 AM Post #13 of 20
Am I the only one who noticed that Bono is very flat on this commercial? It's seriously painful to my ears.

Nov 29, 2005 at 12:16 AM Post #14 of 20
A lot of it seems like a no-win situations for artists, unless they don't lose their creative streak/muse/whatever. If a band or artist loses steam and starts to sound generic, they've sold out or have gone mainstream (U2). If a band or artist stays the same the whole time, they can get knocked for that (James Taylor). If a band or artist changes too much, they can lose fans and their output ends up being "too experimental" and sometimes "too pretentious" (Radiohead). My avatar might show my bias (Johnny Greenwood of Radiohead), but if any of those three is going to happen, I actually prefer the last option. If a band stays creative though, and still manages to have fairly widespread appeal, all the better (obvious standard: the Beatles...more relevant to this topic, U2's Achtung Baby was IMHO a welcome change in style and had some good stuff).

That being said, I really have never understood why U2 has had so much mass appeal from the beginning, whether they stayed the same, went mainstream, or went experimental after. I think their good songs are few and far between, and the rest start to sound kind of homogenous (though something that can happen with any band where the vocalist is such a dominant presence...once again, refer to my avatar). I don't think their songs are particularly hook-filled (whether melodically, lyrically, or even just random surprises in the songs that make them interesting)...I think their lyrics are above-par (better than 3 Doors Down) but then there are examples like "Vertigo" that leave you wanting...I dunno...I just really have never understood the appeal at all.

Add Bono's personality into the mix (I tend to think compassion and ego are mutually exclusive), and I just really cringe whenever I see them on TV or hear them on the radio, even when the songs are not all that bad. They're on my list of most-overrated bands ever...I really wish I could like them, as many of my friends (and ex-girlfriends...) do, but...nope
confused.gif

Nov 29, 2005 at 6:57 AM Post #15 of 20
BTW, I believe it's "may I please go vertigo", no?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back