U.S. headphone manufacturers?
Jun 3, 2004 at 2:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

ampgalore

Headphoneus Supremus
There is a thread in the amp section talking about a high end headphone amp made by a Japanese company called Luxman.

This gets me thinking.

Japan has Sony, Stax, Audio Technica.
Germany has Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic.

Any good American headphone manufacturers?
The only ones that come to mind are Etymotic research, Ultimate ears, Sensaphoric, Shure, but these are not as well known as the Japanese and European brands (Koss if you want to count them, but it is not of the same caliber).

It's a pity almost all of the high end cans are made by overseas companies.

Jun 3, 2004 at 2:04 AM Post #3 of 44
You left out Grado.

EDIT: Darn it, fewtch, you beat me to it!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 3, 2004 at 2:05 AM Post #4 of 44
Beatcha, nyeh nyeh nyeh nyeh nyeh...
tongue.gif

Jun 3, 2004 at 2:08 AM Post #6 of 44
Not that I know of.

And sometimes, headphones may carry a U.S.-based brand name, but are actually made overseas (recent Koss headphones are now manufactured in the Far East). And most Shure products are assembled in Mexico (south of the border). Which leaves Etymotic Research and Grado Labs as the only U.S.-based headphone manufacturers which actually manufacture most of their products within the U.S.

Jun 3, 2004 at 2:13 AM Post #8 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by ampgalore
It's a real pity. I guess Americans are not as audiophilic as the Europeans and the Japanese
biggrin.gif
(hides in a corner waiting to be beaten up).

Actually, the Japanese are equally as guilty as Americans of not being very "audiophilic". It's a cryin' shame that the biggest Japanese companies are very good at marketing crappy-to-mediocre, run-of-the-mill headphones as "high-end".

Jun 3, 2004 at 2:17 AM Post #9 of 44
Koss was one of the pioneers of the ehadphone related stuff, they have also electrostatic headphones, andsome of the regular line sound good...nothing fancy though, but the portapros and the KCS35 are supposed to be hard to beat as a bang for the buck choices...

Jun 3, 2004 at 2:23 AM Post #11 of 44
Quote:

It's a real pity. I guess Americans are not as audiophilic as the Europeans and the Japanese (hides in a corner waiting to be beaten up).

oh boy, well we created Audiophile and Hi-Fi, there are more American Hi-Fi companies than any other country, so what the heck are you talking about?
confused.gif

And Head-Fi is an American site
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 3, 2004 at 2:35 AM Post #12 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by KR...
And Head-Fi is an American site
smily_headphones1.gif

Are you sure??? The servers are located in America, but that does not make Head-fi an "american site". IMO there is no site in the web that could be considered property of any country, the web is a huge world net, members-wise talking, in fact Head-fi is a universal site, we have members from all over the world, and even of the ones who live here in US, some of them are not US natives.....

Jun 3, 2004 at 2:41 AM Post #13 of 44
none of us are american natives! except native americans...the rest of us are immigrants

Users who are viewing this thread

Back