Typical First Time Buyer
Apr 25, 2012 at 2:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

CountDukeofEarl

New Head-Fier
First off thank you for reading this and being prepared to help me. Let me just go ahead and say it: I don't know much about headphones.
I have read other forums about buying and what to look for but all the information is confusing to start and I'm just looking for advice.

What I'm after is an over-the-ear headphone (preferably closed but I'm not too picky) that is useful for casual listening.
The type of music I prefer is rock and genres that follow the heavier bass and fast tempos.
I also am an avid gamer and would like the headphones to function well in that aspect.
My budget is around $250 (U.S.) but it is somewhat flexible if the product is worth the extra amount.

I've been reading so many forums and discussions that I have too many conflicting choices.
I do know this isn't much information but any help will be appreciated.
Thank you for the help.

P.S. I am also an aspiring film maker and would like to find another pair that is better suited for editing.
I've been looking at the Audio Technica ATH-M50S, but again I don't really know much.
Again any help is welcome.
Thank you.

Apr 25, 2012 at 2:35 AM Post #2 of 5
that is good amount of money, exactly fit in for the Beyer DT1350. Current king of the portable headphones, also built for professional use. Neutral and rich sound, bass goes deep but not in excess quantity. I recommend these without any reservation especially for your editing work and enjoyment of music at the same time. 

Apr 25, 2012 at 2:39 AM Post #3 of 5
The Ultrasone HFI-580 or 680 sounds right up your ally. Great bass with a fast forward midrange and "bright" highs. By bright I mean they are sharp and...as much as I hate this word Crisp but not overly harsh.

Apr 25, 2012 at 2:41 AM Post #4 of 5

Quote:
that is good amount of money, exactly fit in for the Beyer DT1350. Current king of the portable headphones, also built for professional use. Neutral and rich sound, bass goes deep but not in excess quantity. I recommend these without any reservation especially for your editing work and enjoyment of music at the same time. 

the 1350 are good but they are not really everyone's cup of tea. I like them for gaming and like %90 of my music as well as portable use.

Apr 25, 2012 at 3:14 AM Post #5 of 5
It's more of a semi-closed design, but the Denon AH-D2000 sounds like it's right up your alley.  It can be found at or under your budget if you catch it on sale.  If you'd prefer a fully sealed design, the AKG K550 would be worth looking into, and perhaps the Beyerdynamic DT770 as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back