Type C to Mini Jack adapter and Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro side question
Jun 17, 2020 at 10:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

FierceDefence

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I have been looking around for a type C adapter to 3.5mm female jack for a while. I looked at many reviews, including exchanges on this board.

At the moment, I am still using my Huawei P20 to listen to audio tracks on the go.

I alternate between a pair of affordable TinAudio T2 IEMs with an upgraded cable and Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 Ohm headphones with vintage drivers (more on this later). With the DT770, I either run them straight from my current adapter out of convenience or drive them with a cheap Fiio A3 portable amplifier. To convert the signal, I am using an original Huawei Type C to Female Mini Jack adapter.

I realise this is not the most ideal setup, but I'm planning to improve it.

Regarding my headphones specifically, I bought a more recent incarnation of the DT770 Pro 80 Ohm in the 440.000 serial number range to replace my old ones in the 150.000 serial number range, but when comparing the two I noticed that they really didn't sound alike. I am not an expert, but myself and others who had tried them both have also noticed the difference. Preferring the warmer sound and more noticible low-ends of the vintage pair (but really needing a make over), I decided to swap out all the parts I could.

The original fixed cable has always annoyed me by its length, the stiffness of the vintage one (the cable on the newer ones is very flexible though) and generally think it could do with better. Consequently, I will modify them to feature a Tiny XLR mount like is commonly done and replace the original wiring with quality silver plated OFC wires. I was considering Belden 1804a Starquad Cable as a source for these with appropriate audiophile grade solder, but I'm still at a stage where I am trying to inform myself on what would work best. In fact, I am still hesitant if I should keep the original configuration of left to right, or going with a double XLR mounting solution. What do you think about this?

Either way, I plan on discarding the original cable in favour of a nicer example with corresponding XLR Connector to Mini Jack. However, I think you will agree that all these improvements wouldn't significantly change the listening experience if I didn't take care of the first link of the chain that is my Type C to Mini Jack adapter. I have tried an Apple adapter but the output was terribly low. The original Huawei adapter works better, but is not optimal and I'm already at my second one due wear because of the fragility of the cable between connectors.

Can you think of capable adapters that could run my IEMs and not cause a problem should I use it with my Fiio A3 (or another model when I replace it for something better)?

I'm OK with both a unit with an integrated Amp or without. I'm for whatever works best.

I saw some mixed reviews on the Ibasso DC02 and Hidizs S3. I also saw some encouraging reviews of Xduoo Link and that the E1DA 9038D designed by one member will soon be available. Is this something I should look into? Would either of these cause a malfunction when coupled with the use of the Fiio A3?
Best,
FD

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back