Two years later: I experience the Senn PX100
Jan 4, 2005 at 2:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

chadbang

Headphoneus Supremus
Edited:
I just erased a rather long review in which I said the PX100s were a decent, not great phone. But I've reassessed that opinion. To cut to the chase, the PX100s are great phones. Need to be played loud, however. At lower levels, they're very flat and lifeless sounding. At higher levels they really shine. But you need to play them louder than I like to listen to, or I recommend listening at.

Sonically, I give them a B+. At their price point, they deserve an "A".

Healthwise, I give them a D.

Jan 4, 2005 at 3:36 PM Post #2 of 17
Damn, I really hated erasing that review, too. Oh, well, have to be honest.
tongue.gif

Jan 4, 2005 at 8:25 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang
Edited:
I just erased a rather long review in which I said the PX100s were a decent, not great phone. But I've reassessed that opinion. To cut to the chase, the PX100s are great phones. Need to be played loud, however. At lower levels, they're very flat and lifeless sounding. At higher levels they really shine. But you need to play them louder than I like to listen to, or I recommend listening at.

Sonically, I give them a B+. At their price point, they deserve an "A".

Healthwise, I give them a D.

The intellectual honesty you showed deserves praise
smily_headphones1.gif

But I disagree with the idea, the PX100s don't change character in any way with level.
And - they can't be described as lifeless, no doubt they sound 'rich', at any volume.
You may find them to lack added colour; maybe even a little austere at times
-- this only in a somehow superficial evaluation, i.m.o. .
I found their sonic character to allow much of the music I listen to more expressiveness than other more immediate & less accurate phones I've had.
This was to my own surprise, since my first approach with the PX100 wasn't exactly euphoric.

In the end, it really only depends on the music you listen to (and how you like to have it presented) if you find whatever headphone enjoyable or not.
Which must be acquired knowledge by now -- it's the affinities to give access to satisfaction.

Jan 4, 2005 at 9:04 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
Losing your hearing is a small price to pay for good music...

which will become regrettable when you can't hear your beloved music anymore...

Jan 5, 2005 at 6:34 AM Post #11 of 17
I think PX100 is vey balanced in its sound.
At its price, you can't expect it to have the resolution of hi-end cans.
For its supra-aural design, you can't expect a pleasant soundstage of full-size hi-end cans.
For its size, you can't expect it to have deep and clear bass. It compensates for low bass roll-off by adding some upper bass hump.
But for its price and intended use, I can't really find any fault.
When I listen to it, I don't feel a lack of fidelity and all kinds of music comes through in a convincing manner.
I would call them cheap phones that make me forget they are cheap.
Of course if I analyze its sound compared to my main headphone lots of shortcomings become apparent, but this is not what it is designed for.

Jan 5, 2005 at 6:50 AM Post #12 of 17
Owner of the PX200 here, I can't agree with you fully. Yes, the PX has the potential to be great when played loudly, as no area of sound is reduced from lower volumes (the bass is still as bassy as when it was quieter, the mids were still midie, and so on). However, I think the sound craps out kind of early. The buzzing from high levels of music... it comes quicker than I'd think a headphone with an MSRP of $60 would deliver. Maybe I'm just picky, but I think the guy who listens to his music louder than the common end-user should look elsewhere. But at middle-ranged volumes, it can contend with almost any EQ effect and any SRS effect (If anyone knows what BBE, that too) you can throw at it.

Jan 5, 2005 at 10:36 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferbose
I would call them cheap phones that make me forget they are cheap.

This focuses exactly why the phones in question have been such a case.

Jan 5, 2005 at 1:44 PM Post #14 of 17
The 1st time I've tried the PX100 they surprised me so much than I had to A/B compare them with the Grado Sr-60 because I feel the two headphones sounds at the same quality level... the comparison ended in a Grado Sr-60 victory... but the PX100 is still ridicolously good for their price. (Important: the Sr-60 costs 140 eur in Italy, while the PX100 can be found at 30 eur...)

Bye
Andrea

Jan 5, 2005 at 10:13 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
Losing your hearing is a small price to pay for good music...

What?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back