Two things: Portable AMP/DAC combo or only AMP? And good suggestions for Fostex T50RPs? Also earpads...
Nov 20, 2016 at 9:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

DatGameh

Head-Fier
Straight to the point
I've been procrastinating for 5 hours on searching for audio materials, and I don't want all of it to go to waste.
I found the Fostex. Took me long enough. I just realized that Mad Dogs are a modded version of these headphones, even though I've known them for a few months. Tch.

They will cost about 18,000 yen in Sofmap (all of these are from the same store). Expensive.
If anyone knows a cheap place to buy headphones in Japan, it would be really helpful.
Due to the nature of these headphones, I need an AMP and better earpads, since I heard that the original pads might give you ear cancer or something.

So I need an AMP for these headphones.
There are DAC/AMP combos too.
From what I see, DACs are just analog signal processors that give a placebo effect the the listener.
Everyone seems to see a different perspective to the same DAC.
So I need to ask: Are DAC/AMP combos worth it, or are AMPs better deals?
I also need them portable, so yeah.

Sound Blaster E1, maybe? It might be too weak, though.
Audioquest Dragonfly Black, maybe?
A standalone AMP, or a DAC AMP for double the price?
The SB will go for a little over 4,000 yen. The Dragonfly is a little over 12,000.

Not sure what to get. If there are better options, please tell me.

Alright. Earpads.
From Z-Reviews, I heard that it is best listened with shallow earpads that don't distance the driver from the earphone.
Thick earpads seem to ruin the audio quality the farther the drivers are from the ears.
I *might* do only minor mods, so don't suggest thick ear pads + some plasticine and medical tape.
I asked him, and he suggested me a pair of spare Shure SRH1840 replacement earpads.
They go for 4,000 yen. Double the price in the US I think.

So if I go for the least expensive pack, I'll need to chuck out 26,000 Yen. About the same price as a standalone MSR7.

So, you guys have any good alternatives?
My total budget needs to be below 30,000 yen, though.
About $300.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back