Two things I miss on my Sansa Clip Zip (Am I blind? Would Rockbox help? New firmware?)
Nov 16, 2012 at 11:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

kazakore

100+ Head-Fier
Since my old Sansa Fuze died, which I was always quite happy with, I bought a Sansa Clip Zip and over all am fairly happy with it. There are two things missing from the display that I would really like to have back though, and I have not managed to find them by clicking through menus and options...

A. Track Length Display. eg 3:32/7:43 (current position/length of track.) I often listen to mixes or long live recordings, where this becomes a lot more useful!

B. I always play my tracks from Folder navigation, not via Artist or Album or whatever tags. I very much miss being told which track of how many I am in that folder. (Same could also be useful for any type of Playlist, whether a actual playlist or one created as that is how many songs you have by that Artist.)

Nov 16, 2012 at 12:58 PM Post #2 of 7
Quote:
Since my old Sansa Fuze died, which I was always quite happy with, I bought a Sansa Clip Zip and over all am fairly happy with it. There are two things missing from the display that I would really like to have back though, and I have not managed to find them by clicking through menus and options...

A. Track Length Display. eg 3:32/7:43 (current position/length of track.) I often listen to mixes or long live recordings, where this becomes a lot more useful!

B. I always play my tracks from Folder navigation, not via Artist or Album or whatever tags. I very much miss being told which track of how many I am in that folder. (Same could also be useful for any type of Playlist, whether a actual playlist or one created as that is how many songs you have by that Artist.)

Might be better to ask these kind of questions at the website anythingbutipod.
I do like my Clip Zip, but prefer the larger screen on my Sony E465.

Nov 16, 2012 at 1:05 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:
Might be better to ask these kind of questions at the website anythingbutipod.

Yeah? So far I had found this site to be the best place for just about anything portable audio. Although with a slight bias towards top end headphones and possibly amplification...

As I only listen to music the general size of the display doesn't bother me in the slightest. There's just a couple of bits of information I would like it to display it doesn't seem to (and the original Fuze did.)

Nov 16, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #4 of 7
It seems I'm very much not the only person wanting these features!

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Sansa-Clip-Zip/Sansa-Clip-Zip-Firmware-01-01-20/td-p/270703

I will try updating to the latest (although I don't feel confident they have brought in the features I desire) and then have a play with Rockbox if not. I had hoped somebody here would be able to give me the answers for certain though. Especially as it's mainly on your recommendation I went for the device (that and being a happy Fuze owner, which again was recommended from here.)

Nov 17, 2012 at 1:15 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

You'll need Rockbox to get these things.
There's a bit of a learning curve involved, but once you get a handle on it you'll have a lot more options than in the original Sansa firmware. You also get better battery life too.
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back