Two Sound Cards >> One Output Is it Possible?
Jul 18, 2014 at 3:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Izzot

New Head-Fier
So let's say I have two sound cards. One's driver software settings is set to Dolby Surround and is only utilized for gaming, where as my other soundcard is set to default for music, movies, etc. 

Theoretically,
could I use a splitter to connect the audio coming from soundcard #1 and soundcard #2 into my headphones? 

Thanks for any input! 

Jul 18, 2014 at 3:23 PM Post #2 of 8
What is your goal for doing so?

Jul 18, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #3 of 8
I'd like to have the benefits of positional audio with Dolby Surround for specific gaming software- and the benefit of HiFi sound, without adding any distortion or equalizer effects that Surround would add to my music. 

Having two sound cards would make having both be much more convenient. 

Jul 18, 2014 at 5:20 PM Post #4 of 8
  I'd like to have the benefits of positional audio with Dolby Surround for specific gaming software- and the benefit of HiFi sound, without adding any distortion or equalizer effects that Surround would add to my music. 

Having two sound cards would make having both be much more convenient. 

How about just using one sound card that comes with Dolby and just turn off Dolby when you do not want to use Dolby.

Jul 18, 2014 at 5:44 PM Post #5 of 8
Wouldn't using WASAPI exclusive bypass the Dolby effects? You wouldn't even have to turn it off...

Of course assuming gaming means you are using Windows.

Jul 19, 2014 at 11:16 AM Post #6 of 8
Theoretically, could I use a splitter to connect the audio coming from soundcard #1 and soundcard #2 into my headphones? 

Yep. And short them out if they both have power in the outputs at the same time. Do you like the smell of your computer burning? LOL

How about just using one sound card that comes with Dolby and just turn off Dolby when you do not want to use Dolby.

Yep. Pretty easy in the Asus Xonar control panel to make that switch.

Jul 19, 2014 at 4:27 PM Post #7 of 8
As mentioned before, you can use one soundcard and change the settings around. 

However, you can also use two different sound cards quite easily, as long as they are different brands.  I use a Xonar DG connected to my headphones for Dolby Headphone surround.  Then I connect my Soundblaster Z card to my speakers for everything else (music, web browsing, etc...).  It's also nice to have two options when doing any online gaming.  I use my Xonar with headset for game chat with Teamspeak/Skype/Xfire, and then have game audio go through my Soundblaster using the speakers.  That way I can easily adjust audio levels separately. 

The only thing to keep in mind is you have to have two different brands.  If I had two different Soundblaster sound cards, then I would not be able to independently channel audio streams.  As far as I know, the driver software does not allow it.  As long as I used my Soundblaster with a different type of card (Xonar, motherboard audio chipset, etc....) then I'm fine.

Jul 20, 2014 at 11:22 AM Post #8 of 8
Easily done, I use a mixer for this, I can run my Xonar DGX with Dolby while also even listening to music via my Schiit Modi or FiiO X3 without the dolby effects.

I have a Mackie 402VLZ4 run 3.5mm to RCA on the "tape in"

Then use a dual TS to 3.5mm, could also use a dual TS to RCA if thats what your sound device supports.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back