Two-prong vs. Three-prong power plug Question
Apr 13, 2002 at 7:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Toddathan

100+ Head-Fier
I live in an older apartment building with only two-prong electrical outlets. Most of my audio and home theater equipment has three-prong plugs. I can use two-prong adapters on these plugs, but what effect, if any, does using such an adapter have on the sound/operation of my equipment? Do I risk damaging my equipment; will it degrade the sound at all? I'm also considering buying some high quality power line conditioners/surge protectors. How well will these work using two-prong adapters on the plugs of the power conditioners?

I've talked to the building management about installing some high quality three-prong receptacles for me (hospital grade or the PS Audio Power Port), but they've indicated that it will cost a few hundred dollars per outlet to properly run the ground wires.

I would appreciate any comments, suggestions, insights anyone has on this. I'm a little ignorant on some this stuff. Thanks.
confused.gif

Apr 13, 2002 at 7:17 PM Post #2 of 3
The third prong is the ground, and some people even feel that the ground prong degrades sound, but those are just the scary tweakers. You should be fine; stereophile and sounstage has some articles about it.

Apr 13, 2002 at 7:33 PM Post #3 of 3
I don't know how your apartment is grounded,but running ground wires is seldom needed.The outlets can be grounded right inside the outlet box.When you use the grounded three-prong adapter there should be a terminal on the adapter that allows it to be grounded to the scew holding the outlet cover to the outlet box.Use it.I know some have doubts about using grounding adapters but they are fine for low current applications.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back