Two potentially dumb questions about custom IEMs
Oct 30, 2009 at 10:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

nxmehta

New Head-Fier
I performed a couple of searches but couldn't get definitive answers to these two questions about custom IEMs, so I want to apologize if I missed them.

1. Since you're getting a custom ear mold when you get a pair of these, what happens if the shape of your ear changes? Does it ever really change enough to force you to get another custom job? I'm 29 years old if that's relevant. I imagine getting custom IEMs for a 12 year old is not a good investment, for example, because their ears will certainly change... does that apply to older people?

2. How much does it typically cost to get an ear mold from an audiologist?

FYI my stupid cables on my otherwise favorite shure e500s IEMs are cracking and I'm thinking about sending them to Null Audio (or Unique Melodies? Same thing I guess?) to get them recabled. However, it doesn't look like they offer recabling ONLY services, so I need to figure out if I want to get a remold.

Oct 30, 2009 at 10:44 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Detrex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It shouldn't change until around 4-5 years at a time. If you get ear impressions and send them to the company I highly doubt your ears will change shape before you get your custom earphones back, lol.

I just got my ear impressions today for the JH13 Pro. It cost me $100. It normally ranges from $50-$150.

Thanks for your reply! So does that mean people with custom IEMs typically get them remolded every 5 or so years? That seems somewhat expensive... Null Audio charges $180 for a remold, plus the $100 for the audiologist means nearly $300 every 5 years. Plus, who knows if Null Audio/Unique Melodies will even be around in 10 years to redo my custom e500 remold? Is it just safer and cheaper to use universals then in the long run then?

Oct 31, 2009 at 3:43 AM Post #3 of 5
those are the trade-offs for the considerably better sound quality and comfort offered by custom IEMs, make your choice based on that, only you can decide

Oct 31, 2009 at 3:54 AM Post #4 of 5
Yep, your ears are likely to change, but not significantly until you hit the 3-6 year mark.

And investment-wise, if you look hard enough, you might find somewhere that will do impressions cheaper.

A fellow here pointed me to a place local to me which took extremely good impressions for $20 for the pair. $10 an ear. now THAT's what they should be priced at....

I'd try looking at hearing aid centers, not just audiologists. just a tip.

i just got my JH5s today, and am loving it. i'm fairly certain i won't have to send them back for a refit, the impressions were quite good it seems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back