Two PCDPs Under $150
May 23, 2006 at 10:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Head Creep

Headphoneus Supremus
I know this is an odd search, but I'm looking to buy two PCDP's (new or used, don't really care). I'm looking to buy a mixer and mess around a bit with some basic DJing (just a step above mixed CD's), plus I need to replace my dead iRiver iMP-550. So, my search criteria is as follows:

-Controls and screen on the player itself (I can't stand being forced to use the remote)
-Line out
-AC adapters
-At least one of the players needs to have above average sound quality (it'll be paired up with a SuperMacro and HeadFive, and I do realize that I most likely won't get anything great for this price)

What I'm looking for probably isn't very difficult to find, but this is my first venture into PCDP's, so I have no idea what models to look for. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

May 23, 2006 at 10:39 PM Post #2 of 4
$150 should be enough to get 2 good used PCDPs...

I actually have one PCDP that would probably be _perfect_ for this application, but it's the only one I have and it's highly unusual both in the sense of actually acquiring the model as well as acquiring one that works (it's a JVC XL-P70). The reason it'd be perfect is that it has a graphic EQ on it with storage for 5 manual settings along with 20 presets (4 types with 5 levels of that type) that are actually well done.

Anyhow, aside from that, you could try something like the older Sony D-E7** series or D-E8** series players which have a backlight and their optical out works even on battery power. They sound pretty good and run a long time on batteries. You could probably acquire two for well under your budget.

Do you need MP3 playback capability? If so, you could just get a couple Sony D-NE330s or one of the newer Panasonics. They sound pretty decent.

May 24, 2006 at 9:43 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head Creep
MP3 playback is completely unnecessary. I already have two good DAP's (with one more on the way), so all I need is audio CD playback.

Well, if you can actually find one (they're old and unusual), I find the Technics SL-XPS900 does a nice job on electronica, if that's what you're DJ'ing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back