Two pairs of speakers, unwanted because we're moving, which should I pick up?
Aug 22, 2007 at 9:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

hauton

New Head-Fier
My family is moving out, so there are two sets of old speakers that need to go, and I was thinking of picking up a pair (even though I don't know the first thing about speakers, or have a stereo system to wire them (all broken or sold or whatever) to test or whatever.

One is a pair of really old Kenwoods, tall. We've had them as long as I can remember. The other are a newer pair of Sonys, much shorter but a bit wider. I don't know a single thing about their SQ, but if they're going to be moved away for storage, I might as well pick up a pair for college. The question is - which?

I can take a few photos of each, but I have no idea what model they are.

Aug 23, 2007 at 2:06 AM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by hauton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My family is moving out, so there are two sets of old speakers that need to go, and I was thinking of picking up a pair (even though I don't know the first thing about speakers, or have a stereo system to wire them (all broken or sold or whatever) to test or whatever.

One is a pair of really old Kenwoods, tall. We've had them as long as I can remember. The other are a newer pair of Sonys, much shorter but a bit wider. I don't know a single thing about their SQ, but if they're going to be moved away for storage, I might as well pick up a pair for college. The question is - which?

I can take a few photos of each, but I have no idea what model they are.

Don't take this as gospel, but if memory serves me correctly, Kenwood was the brand I'd usually see in K-Marts when I was a kid. Some of Sony's stuff is bunk, but they also make some pretty good stuff. If I had to choose between probably crap and possibly good, I'd go with the latter and grab the Sonys. That being said, it can't hurt to find a way to listen and choose for yourself.

Aug 23, 2007 at 2:20 AM Post #3 of 7
Kenwood is certainly not K-Mart crap, and has a good chance of being a better speaker than the Sony. Sony only made a few speakers I would call good, and they were a bit pricey. In general Kenwood made a better speaker, but don't expect B&W type SQ. Without knowing the model of each speaker it's hard to say. Your best bet is to listen and keep the one that sounds better to you.

Aug 23, 2007 at 2:46 AM Post #4 of 7
That shouldn't be so hard at all, have a listen to it and choose the best sounding pair!
tongue.gif
wink.gif

Aug 24, 2007 at 9:34 PM Post #7 of 7
Older Japanese made speakers, especially those from the 1970s might be potentially great, have light paper cones, and huge magnets that might be made of Alnico, if not some other powerful magnet.

I say, DO NOT JUDGE the speakers in question with things like Kmart and other bad shopping experiences.

In the 1960-1970s, SONY rules with great, overbuilt stuff, but I am suspecting that the Sony speakers you have are from some bad system from the 1980s, if not newer.

SONY's reputation comes from those golden, glory days, the utter JUNK system they make now are not even a bit of what they suppose to be. DO NOT ride on SONY's reputation in terms of the speakers.

The only exception to the rule would be SONY speakers made by a famous American designer....They have a certain looks to them...check this link http://www.thevintageknob.org/SONY/s...ED/SSM9ED.html

I doubt these are the SONY speakers you are taking about.

I would go for the Kens, if my hunch is correct.
eggosmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back