Two pairs of OK headphones for a beginner on a budget - makes sense?(details inside)
Jul 28, 2007 at 10:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

dima1109

100+ Head-Fier
I've decided to get a completely new rig - cellphone won't cut it anymore. I've already ordered an iriver clix2, expecting it to come Monday. Now my big question is - headphones (what else is new?
blink.gif
).
I'm getting IEMs for sure, most likely mylarone XB, although thats not yet decided. I need portability, and i dont want to be forced to drag a giant pair of headphones with me.
What I was thinking of getting is a pair of OK full-size headphones for home and stationary listening. The only candidate I have so far is Grado SR80, so I'm very open to any suggestions.
I have a few questions:
1. Assuming that the Grados will give better quality sound than a cheap IEM, is the improvement worth the extra money spent on them?
2. Would i be better off getting a more expensive pair if IEMs, something like Atrio M5, and sticking with just one pair?
3. Would it actually make sense to get two pairs of headphones, the setup like mentioned above?

I am a college student, a little tight on budget, but not really that tight (meaning, I don't mind spending around 200 on everything, but over that, I will be very hesitant)
And lastly, I listen exclusively to metal (black, death, power, prog, heavy, some 80s stuff). I appreciate good, deep, well-defined bass, but i am by no means a basshead. I would really like the mids, upper lows, and highs, to be of good quality as well.

Jul 28, 2007 at 10:55 PM Post #2 of 28
I'm a fan of using the money you would spend on 2 headphones and using it to buy 1 better phone. From what I've read the Atrio M5 seems really neat. But I have no personal experience with them.

Jul 28, 2007 at 11:09 PM Post #3 of 28
thats what i did when i first dicovered headfi..............i bought the hd580 and an ms1(btw go with the alessandro rather than the sr 80 it has the driver of sr125)

for the iem theres alot out there,for 100 usd here are the choices d-jays, super'fi 3, ety er6i.

you might want to go with the d-jays since they are known to sound the same as grados...............u could also go and buy either a pk1 and pk2(earbuds)

i can guarantee that ms1 is good for rock...............but never heard any of thoose iem/earbuds im just giving you some optrions you might wanna search for and discover whats best for you..........good luck

Jul 29, 2007 at 12:28 AM Post #4 of 28
I would say pick up an MS1 for $100 (personally, wish I could have picked up these instead of the SR60's, but I love my 60's so no worries) and then possibly one of the Crossroads famliy (XB or X3). That, and some more CD's (since that's what this is all about).

What I don't understand is how you came about the XB. Was there something about the allure of the XB? The promise of more bass? Personally, I use my X3 everyday and love them for metal. They're not anemic in bass, they just don't have that bass slam.

If you decide to pick up the X3s, make sure that you rip your music into whatever DAP/Computer you're using at a high quality because they do not like anything less than 192 kbps rips. Even then, I can still hear a difference.

Jul 29, 2007 at 1:19 AM Post #6 of 28
I just want to ask the people recommending ms1s instead of the sr60... Is this so because of headfi research or because you've heard both and prefer the ms1? I Personally prefer the sr60s. Just couldn't stand another ms1/sr60 type recommendations from people that haven't heard both and just get their info from head fi maybe also from people that haven't heard both either. Its becoming a chain of recommendations that was started maybe from one or a few individuals that prefer the ms1

Jul 29, 2007 at 2:03 AM Post #7 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just want to ask the people recommending ms1s instead of the sr60... Is this so because of headfi research or because you've heard both and prefer the ms1? I Personally prefer the sr60s. Just couldn't stand another ms1/sr60 type recommendations from people that haven't heard both and just get their info from head fi maybe also from people that haven't heard both either. Its becoming a chain of recommendations that was started maybe from one or a few individuals that prefer the ms1

I for one haven't heard the SR-60, and I'm not sure if I would have recommended the MS-1 if it's a case of MS-1 vs SR-60. What I "would" say is "after reading tons of threads and polls and posts of lots of folks, many of whom have said they have heard both, and it's like four to one in favor of MS-1; that MS-1 might be a safe bet."

But from what I understand of the OPs likes in music; I suspect he may well be better served with the SR-80 anyway!

We'll all have to hash it out a little more regardless!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 29, 2007 at 2:15 AM Post #9 of 28
hehehe sorry for the angry sounding reply. I posted that because this is what makes headfi less useful for a lot of people that don't pay attention enough. People get steered into the wrong direction because of second hand recommendations. If only everyone could just post and recommend the stuff they've heard or state that "based on headfi research" they recommended a headphone they haven't heard , it would be better for the people on their quest to find their sound.

Jul 29, 2007 at 2:35 AM Post #10 of 28
Quote:

hehehe sorry for the angry sounding reply. I posted that because this is what makes headfi less useful for a lot of people that don't pay attention enough. People get steered into the wrong direction because of second hand recommendations. If only everyone could just post and recommend the stuff they've heard or state that "based on headfi research" they recommended a headphone they haven't heard , it would be better for the people on their quest to find their sound.

Sometimes I think the hunt is more fun than the kill! The research can be almost as much fun as the listening in many respects!

I pretty much have a rule to buy no more than one item every six months, and use that six months just for research. I've found that after looking at hundreds of posts on a subject it gets easier to determine which posts are real and which ones are just repeats of what someone else has said.....and that can really be a problem, especially with FOTM types of phones or amps!
smily_headphones1.gif

It also can be difficult not to get over excited about something that's owned also. To try to remember to state things we hear as an opinion rather than as a fact can be tricky too!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 29, 2007 at 5:31 AM Post #11 of 28
Quote:

1. Assuming that the Grados will give better quality sound than a cheap IEM, is the improvement worth the extra money spent on them?
2. Would i be better off getting a more expensive pair if IEMs, something like Atrio M5, and sticking with just one pair?
3. Would it actually make sense to get two pairs of headphones, the setup like mentioned above?

1. Lawdy-lawdy, yes.
2. If IEMs are a must for you, and sound quality is a priority, I'd say spring for as much as you can in one pair. My experience is that dollar for dollar, the SQ of IEMs is not on par with that of headphones at price point X. (If anyone disagrees with this, please chime in.)
3. Only if you don't mind sacrificing SQ for the portability of IEMs and then coming home to your "preferred" rig.

Disclaimer: IMHO.
cool.gif

Jul 29, 2007 at 5:32 AM Post #12 of 28
Quote:

I'm sorry if I sound like a "newb" and seemingly have no experience (considering my lack of spending and low post number...if that is criteria for credibility), but I have heard the MS1 and enjoyed them simply because I felt they're not as tiring as my SR-60. I love my SR-60 for most of the music I listen to; Jazz, anything with a guitar, and some electronic music. It is my first real set of cans, and I bought them because there is a retailer in my area who carries them (and they came highly recommended). It wasn't until later that I heard the MS-1 and felt that the sound was a little less forward, a little less "hot"...more neutral if you will. That's how I feel. Really, I should just own both (usual head-fi remedy).

EDIT: I will say this: you can't go wrong with either headphone. The SR-60 is an awesome value, and I have recommended them to friends who aren't quite ready to spend a hundred or more on headphones (thirty dollars can make a huge difference to some people).

I am posting this because I feel that I have to defend my post in some way. Hopefully I don't come off sounding angry, as I'm not. And I agree that there are some generalities on these boards that may or may not be the truth for everyone. We are all different and have different tastes. I generally try not to believe something until I have heard it. Sometimes you just have to take a Head-fi "leap of faith", buy a can, and if you don't like it you should return it or sell it.

And I apologize to the OP for hijacking a "trying to find my sound" thread. Good luck.

Jul 29, 2007 at 7:07 AM Post #14 of 28
Thanks for all the replies guys

I've read lots of reviews of SR80 and MS1, and from what i've discovered, MS1 is a superior headphone overall, while the SR80 is more bass-oriented. Same with Mylarone XB vs X3 vs Jays d-jays(my other option).

I would like to have a more bass-oriented headphones because some of the bands i really like do not have much bass in their songs (bands like Edguy, Blind Guadrian, Kamelot to an extent, Iron Maiden, etc). I know that some or most of them were not meant to have that much bass, but i would like a little more than they offer. But i don't need lots of bass, thats why i'm not going for something like super.fi 5 EB. I need a little more than there is, thats all. And I'm not a huge fan of eq's and i don't want to have to up the bass on the player too much.

My question that was not addressed very much - how significant would be the difference in sound between mylarone X3/XB and the SR80? I'm just wondering - is there a point in buying the grados in addition to the IEMs.

Also, are the d-jays any better than the XB/X3? I am hesitant to buy the mylarones because i'm considering getting the IEMs and trying them out first, so if i need to return them for a refund, it would be messy - shipping and all.

Jul 29, 2007 at 7:17 AM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sometimes I think the hunt is more fun than the kill! The research can be almost as much fun as the listening in many respects!

I pretty much have a rule to buy no more than one item every six months, and use that six months just for research. I've found that after looking at hundreds of posts on a subject it gets easier to determine which posts are real and which ones are just repeats of what someone else has said.....and that can really be a problem, especially with FOTM types of phones or amps!
smily_headphones1.gif

It also can be difficult not to get over excited about something that's owned also. To try to remember to state things we hear as an opinion rather than as a fact can be tricky too!
very_evil_smiley.gif

I like that philosophy F107plus5. I should use the 6 month of research and I would have a bigger wallet
smily_headphones1.gif

I haven't heard the MS1, but I do see a lot of peeps recommending it. I have the SR60 and it's a great started can in the Grado line. As for the IEM your interested in, I haven't heard it
frown.gif
. Good luck on your headphone search.
rs1smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back