Two pairs needed
Oct 16, 2009 at 10:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Mato

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I need a couple of pairs of headphones, a pair for my home setup and a pair for travelling.

I'm after some closed 'phones for my home setup which work well with a wide variety of music, but mainly classical (from large-scale orchestral to small chamber ensembles). Reason for closed headphones is that I have people either side of my thin walls that I don't want to disturb at night.
At the moment I am outputting the sound straight from my laptop headphone port, but hope to be listening through a Beresford TC-7250 (USB from Laptop) shortly.

As for the travelling pair, same things really - will mainly be used on trains and tubes, so maybe noise cancelling will be necessary? Would like them to be on-ear as opposed to over-ear.

Budget for home headphones is around £150 and as cheap as possible for the travel pair.

One last question - how much further would my £150 go if I was open to open headphones as well as closed headphones (bearing in mind the type of music I mainly listen to).

Thanks very much,

Tom.

Oct 16, 2009 at 10:53 AM Post #2 of 4
Why do you need two? Better to just go with one closed model. I'll reccomend the hd25 or ESW9

Oct 16, 2009 at 11:35 AM Post #3 of 4
Well the only reason i said two pairs was because

a) i thought the suggestions for the home pair would be too big and chunky to wear on the underground (and might look silly :p)
b) i thought they'd be expensive to wear whilst travelling (damage etc.)

Oct 16, 2009 at 11:47 AM Post #4 of 4
HD25 is a great travel phone, you wont hear the kids cry in the plane anymore.
I used it as a home phone for a while too (until I got hd25), sounds good but a the sound is a tad bit confined. It didn't bother me much because these cans are not really bulky and are more or less the toughest cans out there.

When your at home use a hd650 cable on them and the velour pads.
When on the go use the stock sturdy cable and the pleather pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back