Two IEMs failed - could that be notebook's fault?
Jan 12, 2012 at 11:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

active

New Head-Fier
I've got a 3 yrs old Lenovo G530 laptop, Windows Vista. Sound is ugly and noisy, especially with IEMs, which are more sensitive.
I had been using several a couple of DACs before, but since I got rid of FiiO E7 and sent FiiO E10 back to the seller due to the socket issue, I had no DACs left for some time. Normally I would use large overhead headphones for gaming and movies, but a couple of times I've used my Sleek Audio SA6's, which I have for more than two years already.
Once while listening to some music with SA6's the sound in the left earphone faded out. You could still hear something, but very quietly comparing to the right earphone.
Sleek Audio refused to repair/replace the faulty earphone due to expired warranty. I bought Etymotics HF2. A couple of months of listening from MP3 players and phone - no problem, but yesterday plugged into the laptop to watch a movie.
Guess what? The sound in the left earphone faded out! Just like on SA6's. What if that's not a coincidence and my Lenovo G530 laptop damaged both IEMs, one of which were recently purchased?
Had anyone else heard of something crazy like this?

BTW: If you have a spare SA6 earphone to sell/donate, get in touch.

Jan 13, 2012 at 6:02 PM Post #2 of 6
Perhaps the jack on your computer is bad and you are simply losing the left channel.  Try the earphones with an ipod or home receiver.  If both ears sound even and good then you know it is the jack.

If it is the jack then perhaps the computer chassis is keeping the jack from fully inserting.  Jacks often wear which may be another reason.  Part of the stereo jack inside your computer is probably wearing out and does not always contact your headphone jack.

Is it possible you had the volume much to high at some point causing the damage?

Report back with your findings.

Jan 13, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #3 of 6
Thanks for reply, NA Blur,
the notebook's jack is fine, always sounds balanced on both sides with any headphones/earphones I have (~10).
Yes, of-course I tried the IEMs with other sources after the left side muted - same thing, almost no sound in the left channel.
Volume - I use to listen on a low setting, that wouldn't be a problem.

Strange thing tho. I wrote about the problem yesterday. Today in the evening when I was packing the HF2's for a warranty return, decided to listen to them one more time, just in case. Plugged it into Clip+. Sound in the left channel was back! Still noticeably lower than from the right, but it gave me a hope. I've let the music sound for about half an hour and when I checked later, discovered that volume level was the same in both channels. No clue, what caused the left side to fade out. I bet it has something to do with armature drivers. At least that was not a permanent damage.

Jan 16, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #4 of 6
Actually this reminds of an issue I have seen with ear wax clogging the driver filter.  Perhaps that is your issue?  Check to see if the driver filter, the little screen seen inside the opening of the IEM, is filled or blocked.  If so you may have to take them apart and clean them or if they have filters like the Etymotic ER series do you may need to replace the filters.

Certainly there are mechanical issues that are affected by temperature which could explain why they work better now, but my bet is either a jack or cable issue.  That said I know many people who own IEM's claim that they can remain sibilant well after 40+ hours of burn in so perhaps burning them in would help.

Keep us posted.

Jan 19, 2012 at 8:25 AM Post #5 of 6
NA Blur, you were right. A couple of days ago the sound disappeared in the right side of HF2's (1st time it was the left). Sound returned after I took a filter out (later replaced by a new one). I think the reason why filters got clogged so fast is that I've cut off the smallest flanges of HF2's 3-flanges off for better comfort, and it made filters too much exposed.

Jan 25, 2012 at 6:40 PM Post #6 of 6
Glad that fixed it.  I have this issue especially if I clean them and then listen to them while they are still wet.  The water creates a seal that keeps the filter from allowing the sound to pass through it.

YAY

Users who are viewing this thread

Back