Two grado sightings at UCLA in as many days
Mar 3, 2005 at 7:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

ooheadsoo

Headphoneus Supremus
Not a common sight. I'm in the music department and everyone either uses cheap buds or cheap cans. I saw an asian guy using what looked like SR-80's at the arcade in the student union yesterday, and a white guy with what looked like SR-225's today walking around Pauley. 'sthat any of you?
tongue.gif

Mar 3, 2005 at 12:26 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooheadsoo
I'm in the music department and everyone either uses cheap buds or cheap cans.

Small world. My daughter has been accepted in the music dept there for the Ph.D. program in musicology and is likely to go. Next year, be on the lookout for woman with the Senn HD555s I gave her.

Mar 3, 2005 at 2:25 PM Post #6 of 18
I saw someone at the Georgia Tech library two nights ago wearing Grados, but I couldn't tell specifically what model. lol, I hope he was keeping the volume down in such a quiet area :p

Mar 3, 2005 at 9:08 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff E
Small world. My daughter has been accepted in the music dept there for the Ph.D. program in musicology and is likely to go. Next year, be on the lookout for woman with the Senn HD555s I gave her.

Yes, excellent stalker's cue.

Mar 4, 2005 at 2:19 AM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjg
you know, we aren't the only people in the world that know what grado is ; )

Surprising, but true. It seems like a common generalization around here that head-fi, and only head-fi, knows something about headphones, and the rest are just Bose worshiping idiots. Most of them are, but there are the minorities out there.

Mar 4, 2005 at 2:51 AM Post #9 of 18
mjg and beach, insightful. Thanks.

Congrats to your daughter, Jeff E. We have some fabulous musicology professors here. Very very very good. LeGuin and McClary are exceptional, in particular, that I have taken classes with. I think she would have a good time learning a lot here. No offense to any of my fellow students, but as a whole, the performance dept. isn't the hottest, but there are some excellent theory, ethnomusicology, and musicology professors. What she would do with a degree in musicology, though, is anybody's guess
biggrin.gif
Supposedly, between our music library and USC's music library, we have some...excellent music libraries.

In the larger computer labs, the computers combined with AC are loud enough that using grados at reasonable volumes will not bother anyone. Surprising how loud the AC and computers are. What really is hell is using them out on the street. You end up blasting your ears.

Mar 4, 2005 at 2:59 AM Post #11 of 18
HEY! I wear cheap phones around campus.

1) My open air senns aren't polite. It is a pet peeve of mine to have someones
music forcefully shoved down my throat. I wouldn't want to be accused of doing the same thing to other people while in one of the many quiet areas around campus.

2) I have a deformed ear, my ear will not accept eatbuds, it spits them out. My left is fine but I have yet to find an ear bud that would fit. I want to see if I can get a canal phone to stay in place, as it is just some extra cartilidge in front of the opening. At least thats what I can gather, its hard to look at ones own ear.

3) I dont know about you guy's but my campus is built into the side of the mountain and classes can be pretty spread out. Im constantly running, and people are constantly bumping into each other. I would hate to have my expensive cans knocked off and damaged.

4) Theft, im hestitant to take my iRiver ihp120 to class, adding expensive headphones just seems to be pushing my luck. You knbow as soon as I bring my amp player and phones I will get up to pee and it will be gone or something.

Mar 4, 2005 at 3:01 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beach123456
Surprising, but true. It seems like a common generalization around here that head-fi, and only head-fi, knows something about headphones, and the rest are just Bose worshiping idiots. Most of them are, but there are the minorities out there.

there are only two kinds of headphone lovers - those who are on head-fi, and those who just haven't heard of head-fi...yet.

Mar 4, 2005 at 3:22 AM Post #13 of 18
Sounds like you need the HD-25's, my friend.
smily_headphones1.gif
I keep them around my neck all day, so unless someone cuts my head off or is like such a good thief that they can take them off my neck when I fall asleep in class, they won't get stolen. And I keep my iPod in my pocket all day so no way that's getting stolen either, unless, again, they are an incredible thief.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigfatdynamo
HEY! I wear cheap phones around campus.

1) My open air senns aren't polite. It is a pet peeve of mine to have someones
music forcefully shoved down my throat. I wouldn't want to be accused of doing the same thing to other people while in one of the many quiet areas around campus.

2) I have a deformed ear, my ear will not accept eatbuds, it spits them out. My left is fine but I have yet to find an ear bud that would fit. I want to see if I can get a canal phone to stay in place, as it is just some extra cartilidge in front of the opening. At least thats what I can gather, its hard to look at ones own ear.

3) I dont know about you guy's but my campus is built into the side of the mountain and classes can be pretty spread out. Im constantly running, and people are constantly bumping into each other. I would hate to have my expensive cans knocked off and damaged.

4) Theft, im hestitant to take my iRiver ihp120 to class, adding expensive headphones just seems to be pushing my luck. You knbow as soon as I bring my amp player and phones I will get up to pee and it will be gone or something.

Mar 4, 2005 at 7:48 AM Post #14 of 18
All I ever see walking on the UCLA campus are white Ipod ear buds and the cheap Sony ear buds. Behind-the-ear headphones are pretty common too. Every once in a while I see MDR-150's. Yes, most of the general student population either don't know what quality is or don't care.

Mar 4, 2005 at 7:53 AM Post #15 of 18
Grados on their own is nothing. Grados with modded pads (yellow Senns), now that's a little unusual. Saw that today on the UIUC campus from my perch in Pizza Hut, and I know it was neither bLue_oNioN nor Born2bwire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back